Revised preamp wish list...

Curt

« Reply #20 on: 2 Oct 2003, 05:25 pm »
>>nathanm,

The Audiophile preamp adds an active crossover network (with driver level controls) to the Purist, for integrating subwoofers or simply bi-amping a tweeter and mid-bass driver. The box is packed and the whole front panel is full of knobs, not much room in this model for tone controls etc...

>>Thump553, Our Sabai preamp will have a remote control.

>>nathanm,

A loudness control is a bass boost filter that is tied to the volume control. It automaticly provides higher bass levels at lower volume levels. This is used as a compensation for the way humans hear, our bass sensitivity rolls off at low volume levels. There are hearing sensitivity curves shown in several books.

nathanm

« Reply #21 on: 2 Oct 2003, 09:46 pm »
Okay, that thing I said about the DACT balance control - let's scratch that idea.  I saw how much they cost.  Later, I woke up on the floor not remembering how I got there.  I suspect I must've passed out and hit my head on the monitor.

Soooo maybe I will just stick a cotton ball in one ear instead...

Curt

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2003, 07:44 am »
Quote from: nathanm
Okay, that thing I said about the DACT balance control - let's scratch that idea.  I saw how much they cost.  Later, I woke up on the floor not remembering how I got there.  I suspect I must've passed out and hit my head on the monitor.

Soooo maybe I will just stick a cotton ball in one ear instead...

The balance control you mentioned is a "Series" step attenuator which has 12 resistors in series that makes more Johnson noise. I prefer a "Ladder" step which only puts one resistor in the signal path at a time. For a manufacturer to add the model you mentioned may not cost as much as you buying a single unit but it still is not the type of attenuator I prefer.

We do the "Ladder" step attenuator with relays in Sabai and it costs less than our rotary switch version. Relays can offer very short signal paths and be placed anywhere on the PCB for best performance. Rotary switch versions offer less PCB layout options.

So, what I'm saying is that all is not lost, there are other options.