Onix Mini Strata speakers? Any owners reviews?

chgolatin2

Onix Mini Strata speakers? Any owners reviews?
« on: 2 Apr 2007, 01:51 pm »
On av123.com they have the Mini Strata speakers, wondering if anyone on this site has a pair and what is their opinions, on affordable audio they review this speaker quite well, also, they have other outstanding reviews as well especially for the price.  I know that reviews are all subjective in nature but it tends to give you a better idea of a product. 

So again, any owners feedback or comments will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!!!  :thumb:

Charles Calkins

Re: Onix Mini Strata speakers? Any owners reviews?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2007, 03:10 pm »
I heard these at the RMAF last year and thought they were a KILLER pair of speakers. If I were in the market for new speakers I'd buy them. Last year they cost $1595.00. av123 could easily sell them for a lot more and they would still be a bargain.

Cheers
                                        Charlie

F-100

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2007, 03:16 pm »
I've owned a pair Mini for almost 5 months now and I have to say that they are very impressive speakers sonically and visually. The Mini have impeccable naturalness and seamless tonal balance over the entire musical frequency. All the reviews that I've read so far from several professional online reviewers are very much on par with my own experience.   :thumb:

Airborn

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2007, 10:55 pm »
I just posted this reply in a different thread (hey now I have 2 posts ):)

I'll give you my 2 cents if you trust the impressions of a newbie.  I've owned a pair of strata mini's for about 2 months now and think they sound fantastic.  I run them in an all Onix 2 channel set up using the SP-3 tube amp (38 watts) and CD-5 HDCD player (hoping for Underwood level 1+ mods someday)   Even with the stock cd player and the lower powered tube amp, the strata mini's have very detailed mids and highs and substantial bass in my 15' x 20' open living room, placed about 2 feet from the front wall.  The great thing about the minis to me, as mentioned already in this thread, is their adjustability.  The powered bass has fully adjustable phase, volume and crossover settings and just moving placement relative to the front wall makes a big difference.  Because the bass is so flexible, you don't need much amp power to dive these fairly big, inefficient planar speakers to loud levels.  Although I did try the minis with my Onkyo receiver and despite the claimed 110 watts per channel, the receiver was just not able to bring out the music.  However, the 38 big watts from the SP-3 is more than enough to make the minis rock in my room.  For the money, I really don't think there is much in the full range, floor standing speaker world that compares.  Good monitors+sub, like the ACI Sapphires w/ACI subs I am sure compare, but for floor standers, I couldn't find anything close.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2007, 12:29 am by Airborn »

westcoast

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2007, 01:30 am »
Hey, Airborn!  That's a nice rig for a newbie!!  The SP-3 kicks...it's good to know it'll drive the Minis.

Have fun, and welcome...   :beer:

Airborn

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:25 pm »
Thanks, Westcoast.  While I am a newbie, I lurked and researched this purchase for over a year and when I saw the Strata Mini + SP-3 combo (+ free Ref .5) from AV123 for less than 2K I jumped on it.  I am not disappointed.  Now I just need a better TT and Phono stage.... I think I'll check out the KAB Technics or the Rega P-3 and maybe the Graham Slee Amp 2 SE which I auditioned recently and sounded great...As you can tell, I am a bargain shopper! :wink: