Thanks, Wayne !

whdean

Thanks, Wayne !
« on: 2 Apr 2007, 01:38 am »
Wayne -

Rec'd the SB3 on Friday - Thanks you very much.

Initial impressions - Out of the box, much like the modded Elpac WM220-1 you did for me - Sizzly highs.

After 2 days of burn-in, It's clearly better than the stock unit. As of "right now", I prefer the sound from the modded analog output to the sound of the modded digital. With the stock unit, the digital was better, IMO.

My Parasound AVC-2500u has source gain adjustment for all inputs, including the 6-channel direct inputs that I am using for the SB3 ...  FYI, I needed to increase the gain 12db to 14 db to compensate, relative to the SB3 thru the digital output (Radio Shack SPL meter and a 1 khz tone, with sub turned off).

I am also running the SB3 analog thru a (Discontinued) Outlaw Audio ICBM, for bass management. I cannot detect any coloration with the ICBM in the path - Very transparent. However, it does split out the bass portion of the L/R signal and I have that routed to the sub input of the 6-channel direct inputs. The ICBM has a sub gain control, also, so I have matched the sub output to the digital output (SPL meter again and a 40 hz tone). Monitor speakers crossed at 80 hz for both analog and digital.

Thanks again for the mods - I am very pleased and will likely be back for the Bybees after a while.