Anyone else running the New Windows Vista?

Rashiki

Re: Anyone else running the New Windows Vista?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2007, 06:18 pm »
There's an interesting article titled "A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection". It focuses on the DRM features in the OS. http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html.

According to the article, Vista disables S/PDIF audio and component video output when playing "protected" content. Has anyone tried DVD playback with a Vista PC connected to a home theater system? I'm curious if S/PDIF and component video are disabled.

-Rob

boead

« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2007, 06:40 pm »
Oops. Don't mess with Microsoft fans :o

I’m not a fan for anyone really; I guess that’s a contributing factor in my lack of interest in sports. I’m not a fan-boy for anything and I have little loyalties based on such. I like what I like because it best fits my needs and expectations. Mac users are nearly always flag waving fans, its one of the reasons why they are still around and/or give the chance to survive into today’s market.

I’d buy Apples OSX if it was available for purchase and I could install it on an AMD or Intel based machine. I’ve said that for years.
Unfortunately Linux is just not refined enough and lacks application support for most of what I need my computers to do. If I was a High school or College student with no money and needs that weren’t any more then web browsing, basic office apps, music/video and games then I could get away with it but for ME, it’s not possible. For MY office, it’s not an option either.

Sorry, I have little tolerance for misinformation (or exaggerated facts) which is a good thing. If I spread misinformation (and I unknowingly have), I’d expect someone to correct me. I assure you my response won’t be to call you a fan-boy.

I really wonder why Apple won’t release its OS to the public. Now that it runs on a x86 system it can easily be made available to all Intel and AMD hardware owners.

At a recent Mac OS security conference, they offered a $10,000 reward to anyone that was able to hack into its system at the event. It was originally only opened to people attending the event but ultimately was made available to everyone world wide. In less then two and a half hours the system was breached. Others all over the web have been displaying their ability to hack-a-mac. Apples response was to release up to 45 bug fixes over the next couple of days.

GHM

« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2007, 07:08 pm »
There's an interesting article titled "A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection". It focuses on the DRM features in the OS. http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html.

According to the article, Vista disables S/PDIF audio and component video output when playing "protected" content. Has anyone tried DVD playback with a Vista PC connected to a home theater system? I'm curious if S/PDIF and component video are disabled.

-Rob

I've used it as you described..no problems. It will stop you from burning a DRM recording. It also will only allow playback in WMP or Winamp. And only on Winamp if you use the the windows standard Direct sound as the output.It will not work.. at least not for me on ASIO or Kernal streaming.

shep

« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2007, 07:13 pm »
re oops. The ability to hack into a system doesn't mean anything. No OS is secure from a really good hacker. I should know better than to get into the arena :o but if you haven't tried a recent Linux distro like PCLINUXOS, you can't say it hasn't come of age. Download it and try it and then tell me it's only for poor college students or computer geeks.

boead

« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2007, 07:38 pm »
re oops. The ability to hack into a system doesn't mean anything. No OS is secure from a really good hacker. I should know better than to get into the arena :o but if you haven't tried a recent Linux distro like PCLINUXOS, you can't say it hasn't come of age. Download it and try it and then tell me it's only for poor college students or computer geeks.

Can I Remote Desktop my offices workstations and servers? 

Can I run Abobe products like CS2, premiere Pro and acrobat PS writer?

Can I run Dreamweaver? Flash?

If the answer to any of the above is no, then I can’t use it.

BTW: You mean them?
http://www.pclinuxos.com/
with their broken links and all?  :lol:

I can trust MS or Apple for my desktop and the operators of a Linux server to provide my customers and myself with service but I can’t put my trust in one for the Linux OS sellers for my desktop at home or in the office. You can understand why, right?

Thanks for the read Rob, will get through it all in time.
Unfortunately DRM is a cold reality and something industry wants to some degree. MS is obviously trying to give the clients what they want as imperfect as it is (and always will be). In the digital world we now live in bit-perfect replication is something that is hard to control (impossible really) and its impact the music and movie industries still unclear. Look at the can of worms Napster opened up. Look at what’s about to happen to internet radio. A purely open society without any constraints equals anarchy.
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2007, 09:53 pm by boead »

boead

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2007, 12:33 am »

Oh my, you have to watch this nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkoAa5718Y&mode=related&search=

Steve Jobs might just be the anti-christ. – LOL and we though it was Bill Gates.