6N1P Tube Upgrade available now.

martyo

Re: 6N1P Tube Upgrade available now.
« Reply #20 on: 31 Mar 2007, 08:07 pm »
I'm not an expert, but from what I've read and understand is that the new heater circuits in the T8 supply more current for the 6N1P and that higher heater current is what is different from the 6DJ8, 6CG7, 6922 and 7308. Those other tubes have been available and Frank didn't use them before. Again, I'm no expert and I'm sure I oversimplified this.

WEEZ

« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2007, 09:22 pm »
fear not, Marty...the 6N1P tube will sound best, anyway..

avahifi

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2007, 09:26 pm »
We tried 6DJ8s as a sub for the 6N1Ps just for fun.  (can't find a smily face for gag)  :(

Frank

Listens2tubes

Re: 6N1P Tube Upgrade available now. From where?
« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:11 am »
Frank, From where are you sourcing the 6N1P's ?

WEEZ

« Reply #24 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:31 am »
I think the new production 6N1P's are branded Svetlana or Sovtek. Maybe Frank can clarify...

WEEZ

TheChairGuy

« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2007, 03:42 am »
They all come from Voshod factory - no matter the badge now. I think that's been the case for some time, too (I bought a couple NOS and was told they all came from Voshod factory).

It's just a great, highly linear, low distortion tube - the upgrade to it on Frank's AVA gear is likely to be quite revelatory  :o  It creamed the Sovtek 6922, an old Raytheon 6922 (which was next best) and some pricey NOS Rocket 6H23 I bought from Upscale Audio.  It levelled 'em all and is a very cheap tube to buy.

Quote from: wikipedia
The tube is being manufactured by "Voshod" plant in Kaluga, Russia and is being distributed in the West under the Sovtek and Svetlana brand names.

martyo

« Reply #26 on: 6 Apr 2007, 01:22 pm »
I received my T8 on Tuesday and the tubes in it are labeled Sovtec. I found the same information as "thechairguy" about the single Voskhod factory. I don't know if that factory is part of the parent company New Sensor Corp. that makes Sovtek, Svetlana, Electro-Harmonix, Tung Sol and........tubes.

The sound: I sold my bigger and better Carver amp, until the 550 gets here I'm listening through a lesser Carver amp (that must mask alot of the T8) but it is sounding better than it ever has. Briefly, (much more after the 550 arrives),the sound is much more dynamic, much quicker, more open, bigger but more focused, alot more resolution, much more linear, more depth, richer and I guess in one word, more musical. Each night it sounds better.
WEEZ, earlier you asked about the gain. With the 3i the volume knob was usually at "3 o clock", with the T8 it's around 10:30.  :dunno:

More later
Marty

P.S. Apparently, according to "thechairguy's" Wikipedia quote it's not part of New Sensor Corp.

Wayner

« Reply #27 on: 6 Apr 2007, 07:43 pm »
Hi all,

I just got back from Frank's factory and had the T8 mod done. Wow! After the modification, Frank put it into his system with a 550ex and his Salks. We then fired up his Harmon Kardon T30 turntable and put a brand new LP on. Yikes!!!!!!

In my system I have the T8 going into my 170ex running a pair of Dynaco A25XL's. Of course, the Empire 598 completes the chain. I will now have to listen to all of my LP's over again as the mod has brought the system to a very revealing new level. Kudos Frank!

W  aa

avahifi

« Reply #28 on: 6 Apr 2007, 09:00 pm »
The 6N1P upgrade does NOT change the overall closed loop gain of our preamps or DACs.  The only difference is in dynamic range (which knocks you out of the ballpark).  Not be confused with dynamic range or loudness.  Its just got a bit more bit muscle now.  A bit more, kinda like Godzilla stomping on Toyko. :)

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #29 on: 6 Apr 2007, 10:21 pm »
Yeah Frank, that's what is going on. The amp I'm using has meters and they have never had the workout they are getting now, moving almost their whole range of movement and real quickly. That IS why the volume knob is set so much lower, to accommodate all the dynamic range. This amp had real boomy bass before the T8, now it's much more defined but with alot more sock. Whew!

Toka

« Reply #30 on: 4 Jun 2007, 09:56 pm »
Frank,

Is this (or other similar) upgrade in the works for the power amps?

avahifi

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:39 am »
Nothing new planned for the amplifiers at this time.  The 6N1P tubes would take major board design changes for them and increased prices.

Frank

foodman

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jun 2007, 01:28 am »
Frank,

What's the turnaround time to upgrade an Ultra SL once you get it.

Paul

avahifi

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jun 2007, 11:19 pm »
30 days or maybe a bit less right now.

Frank