EXtreme Adagio impressions?

jrebman

EXtreme Adagio impressions?
« on: 27 Mar 2007, 04:06 pm »
I own a pair of Adagios and am somewhat intrigued with the upgrades, but as packing shipping, and of course the price of the mods themselves is not something trivial, I'd be really interested in hearing what one might expect from the upgrade.  I'd especially like to hear what differences people have heard who have had both the stock and modded versions, and who have spent a decent amount of time with both.

I'm really just curious what people are hearing.  I'm mostly really satisfied with the Adagios as they are, but there is always room for improvement in just about everything, but whether that improvement is going to be worth the hassle and expense is what I'm trying to figure out.  Of course, there is really no way to truly know without hearing them in my house with my system and my music, but at least I hope to get some feedback on the relative differences.

Thanks,

Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: EXtreme Adagio impressions?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2007, 05:26 pm »
Hello Jim,
 There have been a few people who have come in to audition the EXtreme Adagio which has led to some of the inital sales. I will not post their comments for obvious reasons.
 There are also more out there that are just arriving at their new homes as well as some here that have to be completed. I hope to have some feedback posted in time. I am also eager to hear what others experience.

I am also working on a pair right now that are going to a reviewer (cannot post who/where at this time) but there will be a professional review as well in due time.

Also, at this point, we are including return shipping.

Where are you located?

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2007, 05:36 pm »
Bill,

I'm in Boulder, Colorado.  Maybe you'll bring/send a pair to RMAF?

I figured it was a bit early for any in-depth comparisons, but for me it would be a big thing to do this so I just wanted to put a feeler out there.

-- Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2007, 06:53 pm »
Hi Jim,
 If things work out as planned, we will have a dedicated room at RMAF07 with the EXtreme Adagio speakers. How are are your speakers? Floorstanding or Jrs?

jrebman

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2007, 08:39 pm »
Bill,

They are red floorstanders and the second generation with the modified port and better spacing between the binding posts.

I spent a lot of time listening to the juniors at RMAF but eventually decided that the added improvement in the bottom end was worth the extra money.

Hey, one thing I'm not that excited about is the spikes and I want to try some Mapleshade feet, but I don't know what the thread is.  It is somewhat more substantial than 1/4-20 or M6 but I can't find my thread gauge so I don't know if it is a 3/8" or 1/2" or metric.  If you could tell me this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2007, 06:40 pm »
Hello Jim,
 Sorry but this got past me. I don't get email notifications from AC very often.

The thread size for the spikes on the Adagio speakers are 8mm-1.25

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2007, 01:02 am »
Ok, now that a little time has passed and theoretically there are a few folks who have heard both versions, what can you tell me about the differences you hear?

Thanks,

Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2007, 01:31 am »
Below is some feedback from one customer with a pair of EXtreme Jrs; I have received other feedback via phone conversations and hope to have some more material to put up on the website very soon. One custom has a pair of EXtreme floorstanders in his 2-channel rig and the EXtreme center in his home theater. I'm sure when he has time, he will post his findings.

Another dealer has actually heard these now who is not associated with the EXtremes, maybe he will throw in a few words.

The review is not very far off as well.

Hi Bill,

Well, the speakers are sounding great.   It was a combination of burn-in time, integrating the sub, and much tweaking.  I must admit that I was missing my electrostats a great deal.  I didn’t know if I would ever dial the Adagio Jrs. in.  I live near a reviewer for Enjoy-the-Music.com and his reference system is always my benchmark.  In his house, the music just floats through the air.   Well, I’m getting very close. Oddly enough, the biggest shift occurred when I double isolated the tube monoblocks (two tiers of isolation underneath).  I was astounded at how significant the change was.  I guess my amps are much more sensitive to vibration than I realized.

So, I’m a happy customer.  Thanks again!

******* FOLLOW UP *************

Hi Bill,

All that I can really say is that I never though that I’d replace my electostats with box speakers but with your mods on the Adagio’s, I’m a happy guy. 

jrebman

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2007, 12:26 am »
Sorry, but I'd like to open this up again to see if there are any folks who can tell me their impressions of these mods?

I've decided to keep my Adagios for the long term, so will want to get everything out of them that I possibly can.

Thanks,

Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2007, 01:02 am »
HI Jim,
 Thanks for bumping this up again. One of the owners of the EXtreme Adagio floorstanders (and Extreme Adagio Center channel) is also a member here at AC. Maybe he will chime in if he sees this to post some impressions :wink:

I was hoping the review would be out by now but my understanding is that the reviewer is a bit behind. I will be patient.

There are now several more pairs resting in consumers' systems and burning in. I hope to have some feedback from them as well in due time.