Are those JBL L100 "Century" speakers any good?

orthobiz

Re: Are those JBL L100 "Century" speakers any good?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:27 am »
Wow, what a great thread, Swerdlow!

Right now I'm getting a Dual 1216 into my daughter's system. Hopefully this winter I tackle the L100's but I'd probably get the Parts Express crossover. I am a near-total newbie to soldering and I'd benefit from the explicit instructions. So far my JBL rebuild has begun with the purchase of the foam pads that surround the tweeter baffle (an inauspicious start, to say the least!).

Paul

R Swerdlow

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2010, 03:03 pm »
… Hopefully this winter I tackle the L100's but I'd probably get the Parts Express crossover. I am a near-total newbie to soldering and I'd benefit from the explicit instructions.

Paul

The last time I checked the prices for the parts to the Murphy-designed crossover (Jan 2009), it cost about $155 for a pair of crossovers.  The Jantzen kit sells for $279 at Parts Express, nearly double.  It is possible that the Jantzen inductors and capacitors cost more than the Dayton caps and Madisound inductors I chose.  I doubt if there is any quality difference among them.

Soldering is easy to learn.  The important part is laying out the crossover parts so the inductor coils don't interfere with each other.  I'm always glad to help out with that.  I do have a parts list, and photos and diagrams of the parts layout I used.  With these JBL speakers, there is plenty of space inside the cabinet for a large crossover board.  That makes everything a lot easier.

So far my JBL rebuild has begun with the purchase of the foam pads that surround the tweeter baffle (an inauspicious start, to say the least!).

The foam pads around my tweeters crumbled many years ago, and I never bothered with replacing them.  It seems to not be much of a problem.  But if you already have new foam pads, it can't hurt to use them.

I was surprised to learn how well behaved those 1.5" cone tweeters actually are.  I originally thought they would certainly have to be replaced by a more modern dome tweet.

Richard

orthobiz

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:27 pm »
Thx
Will contact you if I eve get around to the rebuild!

Paul