What does QSO stand for?

wshuff

What does QSO stand for?
« on: 25 Jul 2003, 04:13 pm »
RM I think I can figure out.

I believe I saw that FF is Focus Field or something.

LRC = Large Ribbon Center.

But QSO is beyond me.

Quality Sound Organ?  Quick Speaker Order?  Quasi Stereophonic Output?  

Thanks.

JoshK

What does QSO stand for?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2003, 04:38 pm »
gonna take a guess here and say Quasi Second Order

John Casler

What does QSO stand for?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2003, 06:17 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
gonna take a guess here and say Quasi Second Order

Is that your final answer? (says Regis) :lol:

Josh wins the Million!!!!!!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
What does QSO stand for?
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2003, 08:14 pm »
First order treble, second order bass, XO components series wired.  The impedance of the low frequency driver parallels & increases the value of the high frequency capacitor.  The two series components create a second order slope for the low frequency driver.  As Brian stated, he & Bud Fried favored QSO.  The Neo mids use dual-hinge 6dB, not QSO.

wshuff

What does QSO stand for?
« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2003, 01:32 am »
Thanks for the info.

Another question.  I read on the VMPS site that the RM40 is so named because it has 40 inches of ribbons.  I'm guessing the RM1 means one pair of ribbons, the RM2 is two pairs (or two Neos with the FST).

But what does the numeric designation mean on the 626?  And the other QSO series?

Thanks.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
What does QSO stand for?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2003, 04:55 pm »
Quote from: wshuff
Thanks for the info.

Another question.  I read on the VMPS site that the RM40 is so named because it has 40 inches of ribbons.  I'm guessing the RM1 means one pair of ribbons, the RM2 is two pairs (or two Neos with the FST).

But what does the numeric designation mean on the 626?  And the other QSO series?

Thanks.

Am curious of the origin of "wshuff"?  The RM1 & 2 were named for the 1st & 2nd "Ribbon Monitor" models.  The original 626 was named for dual 6.5 2-way, very non-intuive by any stretch of the imagination.  The nomenclature was carried over to the 626R because the outer cabinet dimensions are similar to the original 626, even though the R is a single 6.5 3-way.  Go figure, even less intuitive than the original 626.

wshuff

What does QSO stand for?
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2003, 07:40 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I was close in my thinking for the 626, at least the original.

As for the origin of wshuff, no mystery.  Just initials and last name -- William Stacy Huff.

Thanks again.

wshuff

What does QSO stand for?
« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2003, 04:52 pm »
So, if I get what you are saying, then the 626R could instead be called the 683R (6.5, 8 inch Neo, three way).  Or I guess you could arrange the numbers differently to make it sound bigger--the 863R.

I'm just calling mine Norm and Cliff.  They just sit there on their stools.  All they need to do now is drink beer.