Any Naim people here?

Crimson

Re: Any Naim people here?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Mar 2008, 10:58 pm »
Ya, mon!

I'm a new soul I came to this strange world hoping I could learn a bit about how to give and take.
But since I came here
felt the joy and the fear
finding myself making every possible mistake

la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la...

I'm a young soul in this very strange world hoping I could learn a bit about what is true and fake.
But why all this hate?
Try to communicate.
Finding trust and love is not always easy to make.

This is a happy end cause' you don't understand everything you have done why's everything so wrong

this is a happy end come and give me your hand I'll take your far away.

[Refrain]:
I'm a new soul I came to this strange world hoping I could learn a bit about how to give and take but since I came here felt the joy and the fear finding myself making every possible mistake

aa

mcrespo71

« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2008, 11:54 pm »
I think I found a replacement for Doritos.

Flat earth all the way here.  Naim/Roksan/Dynavector/Neat/Rega.  I doubt I'll ever leave this camp.

Hey!

Here's a nice snack for you Flat Earth people. :D

I'm sure it got PRaT when you bite a piece.  :jester:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Derockster

« Reply #22 on: 13 Mar 2008, 12:33 am »
Hi guys,here's my system technics sp 25 TT soon to be replaced by a Rega p3 into a nait 2 driving a pair of spendor sp100s.who could ask for more??Regards Derockster aa

Bemopti123

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2008, 03:16 am »
I set up a Naim 3 integrated along with a 14 year old Sony CDP and a pair of Canadian Gershman X-1 bookshelves, circa 2000 in my bedroom.  I should call this set up the most overhyped "Boseradio" in my neighborhood.  How my wife said, "the DIY wood stand looks ugly, but the set up sure sounds great."  Naims play well with non UK speakers such as Sonus Fabers and in my case Gershmans.  I think the sensitivity issue of the Naim integrateds, they having too much gain early in the volume scale, makes it great pairing with insensitive speakers, making them jump rhythm wise very early in the volume scale.   :thumb:

aod

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2008, 03:39 am »
I am an ex Naim-ee
Dumped my 250.2 / 282 / twin hicap rig
After having endless problems with the system which I bought new,
I found that Naim have made so many technical compromises in the design hiding under the excuse that,
'it sounds better this way' .. that I personally labelled the brand a mega rip-off. Even the power supply game is unethical. Why not install a good power supply once and for all? The cost of the components is not justified as is, then add on power supplies???  .. but, people are willing to pay ... it like selling ou a car and they purposely put on bicycle tyres. You want better performance, buy OUR super (ordinary and what we should have really given you in the first place anyway) tyres.

They have preached that the cables they supplied are the best for the job and should never be replaced...., then they come up with a very very very expensive one which is the bestest for the job. etcetcetc ad nauseum.

Dumped the system, got a pair of JBL Active monitors, added a TVC with a buffer stage preamp and the system is slamming better than the Naim, without comprimising the bass or technical integrity. at 1/3 the cost and an incredibly better value than my Naim system.

ps
I am not slagging them off or anyone who likes Naim. This is what I feel. I may be completely and toally wrong. I do not agree with their way of business, ie, holding back and not giving the customer the best value for their money. They keep on milking the customer. Every see a poor Naim dealer?

mcrespo71

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2008, 03:50 am »
I am an ex Naim-ee
Dumped my 250.2 / 282 / twin hicap rig
After having endless problems with the system which I bought new,
I found that Naim have made so many technical compromises in the design hiding under the excuse that,
'it sounds better this way' .. that I personally labelled the brand a mega rip-off. Even the power supply game is unethical. Why not install a good power supply once and for all? The cost of the components is not justified as is, then add on power supplies???  .. but, people are willing to pay ... it like selling ou a car and they purposely put on bicycle tyres. You want better performance, buy OUR super (ordinary and what we should have really given you in the first place anyway) tyres.

They have preached that the cables they supplied are the best for the job and should never be replaced...., then they come up with a very very very expensive one which is the bestest for the job. etcetcetc ad nauseum.

Dumped the system, got a pair of JBL Active monitors, added a TVC with a buffer stage preamp and the system is slamming better than the Naim, without comprimising the bass or technical integrity. at 1/3 the cost and an incredibly better value than my Naim system.

ps
I am not slagging them off or anyone who likes Naim. This is what I feel. I may be completely and toally wrong. I do not agree with their way of business, ie, holding back and not giving the customer the best value for their money. They keep on milking the customer. Every see a poor Naim dealer?

I agree with a lot of what you say about the Naim upgrade approach, but I would say that you can find value in Naim if you stay at the bottom of the line (integrated, basic CD player, etc).  It's hideously expensive if you start trying to move up the line.  Thus, I have stayed put and am happy with the music my stereo makes.  Cheers.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #26 on: 18 Mar 2008, 12:16 am »
Hi guys,here's my system technics sp 25 TT soon to be replaced by a Rega p3 into a nait 2 driving a pair of spendor sp100s.who could ask for more??Regards Derockster aa

I had that exact system (with the P3, not the SP25)! It was fantastic!

SET Man

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2008, 02:11 am »
I'm an SET guy now, but only after many, many years of being a Naim guy....

Hey!

It is very interesting to me that this thread about Naim was started by an ex-Naim user.

Out of curiosity. What changed your mind that cause you switch and what your current system are made up of? :D

BTW... I'm a SET people since December 1999 and Hi-Ef Single Driver since August 2002 :wink:

Take care,

TONEPUB

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2008, 06:08 pm »
I'm very happy with Naim on both ends of the spectrum.  While I don't agree with
everything they do, I'm a HUGE fan of their CD players.  I have the new 5i (italic)
in my second system and the CD555 in my main system.  A year later after purchasing
the 555, I'm still pleased as ever. 

Since I bought the 555, I'm listening to a lot more CD's...  And I've got a Continuum
sitting here.  (at least for a couple more months till they come to take it back!)

All depends on what you like.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #29 on: 19 Mar 2008, 04:56 pm »
I'm an SET guy now, but only after many, many years of being a Naim guy....

Hey!

It is very interesting to me that this thread about Naim was started by an ex-Naim user.

Out of curiosity. What changed your mind that cause you switch and what your current system are made up of? :D

BTW... I'm a SET people since December 1999 and Hi-Ef Single Driver since August 2002 :wink:

Take care,

Well, I'm really not an SET guy anymore...this thread was started a long time ago!

I'm using a conrad-johnson ET250s power amp with a Nagra PL-L preamp.  I also have a Clayton S40 power amp and a Croft preamp. I miss the Yamamoto gear, but it wasn't versatile enough for reviewing components.

I still believe that Naim makes the best CD players, though. 

SET Man

« Reply #30 on: 20 Mar 2008, 01:49 am »

Well, I'm really not an SET guy anymore...this thread was started a long time ago!

Hey!

I see. :D So, within a year you've gone from Naim to SET and now hybrid(?) 

I do know a few people who change their system and I'm talking about major change regularly! :lol:

As for myself. I've been using pretty much the same system for almost a decade now. :D And I love it! Or maybe it is just I don't have money to change it often like some people here :lol:

Take care,

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #31 on: 30 Mar 2008, 04:48 pm »
Well, I'm audio reviewer, so I get to try out a lot of things on a regular basis.  I'm also not one of those audiophiles who believe in one true sound, and I get a lot of pleasure from different types of equipment.

pardales

« Reply #32 on: 31 Aug 2008, 03:27 am »
Anyone try a Nait 5i with higher sensitivity speakers like a single driver Lowther? I have heard Naim gear hear and there but never owned any. Just curious,

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2008, 11:45 pm »
Anyone try a Nait 5i with higher sensitivity speakers like a single driver Lowther? I have heard Naim gear hear and there but never owned any. Just curious,

I haven't, but I've always been told that Lowthers tend to sound bright and harsh and aggressive with more than 25 wpc, and it's really easy to damage them as well.

If you have a NAIT, I'm not sure if you can do any better than Harbeth, Spendor or ProAc.

groovybassist

« Reply #34 on: 8 Sep 2008, 01:35 am »
I use a CD5x, Flatcap 2x and Nait5i with SP Technology Timepiece Minis.  Bass could be a tad tighter and fuller (the Minis would probably like more power than that Nait's 50W), but beyond that, it sounds pretty sweet!

-Mike

TONEPUB

« Reply #35 on: 8 Sep 2008, 03:55 am »
When I had my 2nd Rethms (with lowther drivers) I tried them with the Nait 5i and it was a little forward
for my taste.

Now that First Watt F3 was another story altogether!!!

Awesome.  I love my Naim stuff, just not with lowthers...

Delacroix

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2008, 10:24 pm »
I have a Nait2, which I bought in 1990 when I lived in the UK and I still use with an old pair of Kef 103.2s in a bedroom system. For years I put a Rega P3 on the front of these two - my first really decent sounding system. Recently, when sending my regular amp back for a check up, I pulled the Nait2 back into the living room where it powered a pair of Von Schweikert VR5s nicely, though as someone noted, there is almost zero room for volume adjustment at the lower end with sensitive speakers. I figure I'll keep this amp until I die, it just delivers music whenever I ask and I love it's look.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
« Reply #37 on: 9 Sep 2008, 01:00 am »
I have a Nait2, which I bought in 1990 when I lived in the UK and I still use with an old pair of Kef 103.2s in a bedroom system. For years I put a Rega P3 on the front of these two - my first really decent sounding system. Recently, when sending my regular amp back for a check up, I pulled the Nait2 back into the living room where it powered a pair of Von Schweikert VR5s nicely, though as someone noted, there is almost zero room for volume adjustment at the lower end with sensitive speakers. I figure I'll keep this amp until I die, it just delivers music whenever I ask and I love it's look.

I love the NAIT 2. Of all the components I used to own but no longer have, it's the one I miss the most.  For a while I had it hooked up to Spendor SP100s.  Friggin' awesome.