Looking for 12ax7's for Scott 222c

nodiak

Re: Looking for 12ax7's for Scott 222c
« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2007, 01:33 am »
Good deal Josh, hope they work out. Man this Scott is fun, but four different tube types to deal with. Worth it.
Hey Jim, looks like I could be set with the four RCA 6U8A's, tho it might be wise to have them tested as one was weak and I don't know if the others match. Maybe I should contact Andy. I'm very interested in how the Amperex EL84 work. If they are as described (sweet, great mids, tight bass) then that will make things simpler. I'd like to get 6U8A and EL84 settled then work on preamp tubes and rectifier. I did get a JJ GZ34. Haven't had anything cryoed, so it's not eye of newt and bat warts?  :lol: Keep in touch.
Don

jrebman

« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2007, 03:52 am »
I had a friend over today and we opened up the scott and took a look at the tubes.  all the 12ax7s were Bell and Howells and since I'm guessing they didn't make their own tubes, does anybody know who may have made these and are they anything special?  Sorry, I don't have any more descriptive info for you as far as getter or plate type.

As for the rest... the EL84s were Mullards, the 6u8s were RCAs, and the 5AR4 was a chinese tube of some sort -- definitely not a Mullard or variant, so I'm guessing this amp was fully retubed along the way.

So, if anybody knows anything in general about B&H tubes, I'd appreciate whatever you can tell me.  Of course the trick is to listen, and while this amp probably works, the guy who is going to rebuild it strongly suggests not even powering it up at this time..

Also, anybody know what the "0" tap on the speaker connection strip is, and what size and type fuse this amp takes?

Thanks,

Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 15 Apr 2007, 08:12 am »
all the 12ax7s were Bell and Howells and since I'm guessing they didn't make their own tubes, does anybody know who may have made these and are they anything special?
From "surfing the web"...the Bell and Howell tubes seem to be made by RCA back then....that is what has been mentioned. Don't know if their "special"... :scratch:

nodiak

« Reply #23 on: 15 Apr 2007, 07:05 pm »
Hi Jim,
AFAIK the 0 is basically for negative lead, then put positive on 4, 8, or 16 ohm tap. I have a print of the manual and they also say to phase the speakers by reversing leads on one speaker, then keep it where sound is fullest. 
Nice tubes - Mullard and possibly RCA. No vintage tubes came with either of my 222c, oh well.
Take care, Don

jrebman

« Reply #24 on: 15 Apr 2007, 07:40 pm »
Don,

Maybe I misunderstood my friend -- I thought she said there was a separate ground connection.  Also really interesting is that there is no right and left, but "A" and B"  Guess it's up to the user to decide which is which, but in any case you can decide on a bunch of different channel configurations from the speaker selection switch on the front.  I can only imagine that sonics could improve by removing this switch so the outputs don't have to travel from the back to the front, and then to the back again, but that may turn into a someday project -- along with the binding post/switch selected impedance tweak that Scott mentioned.

In any case, it is packed up and ready to ship, just waiting the word that my place in the queue has come up.

-- Jim

nodiak

« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2007, 08:42 pm »
Jim, the manual I have shows two different types of terminal strips for various models, The one I have is different yet and doesn't match either in the manual. Guess they didn't settle on a design. But from what you're saying yours is like mine, I think? I have an A strip above a B strip. Each has 5 screw terminals, in this order: 4 8 16 0 0.   
I'm sure Craig will give the word to you on what's the best way to hook up speakers to yours.
Good luck, I'm sure it's going to be nice!
Don 

weirdo

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2007, 12:56 pm »
I have not tried the EI 12ax7 but I have tried the sovtec 12ax7LPS.
I recieved some advice here to hunker down and find some NOS tubes. I'm glad I did. If you're a tinkerer, there is a reasonable chance you will end up there anyway. I found some NOS sylvania long plates at about the 20 price range. They are the lower end of the NOS spectrum and are substantially smoother and more musical than the LPS in my system. I also broke down and got a pair of Raytheon long plates for a bit more money but man, there is no comparison. IMO The vintage long plates are more musical, have a wide and deep soundstage and are just plain head and shoulders improvement from a sonic standpoint over the new tubes. I have no doubt that new production will improve but I am in the camp that believes that for right now, NOS is the way to go.  My 100 lire.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2007, 04:52 pm by weirdo »

nodiak

« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2007, 09:26 pm »
weirdo, I like the RCA '50's grey long plates a lot. And have a pair of Tungsram ecc83 and a pair of Sylvania 5751's coming. Need to make Mullards happen, Amperex too, and Siemens as recommended. Definitely into trying NOS. I like the sound of the ones you have. (I'm selling lots of stuff to afford to focus on tubes for now.) I do regret a couple pairs of new ones I bought.
I'm ok with the LPS (open, smooth, detail) and the Tung Sol reissues (fuller, touch rich, good mids, less treble detail). Both feel new, energetic and firm. But think the right NOS will best them...in my gear with me ears...

Lately I tried Amperex-Heerleen EL84's and they are very nice. Open with alot of clarity down into the mids. Tight bass too. Lots of ambience. However, instead of making things simpler for me they created more complications in tube rolling possibilities. I was surprised how much they changed the sound, and they were more powerful. But also in my Scott it became too much of a good thing somehow. I think my amp has a relatively clear and open midrange already, so with the Amperex it was like doubling up. I rolled preamp tubes but don't have any really mellow ones like Mullards which might work. Of course this is all to my tastes, for example I think Tele's would be too bright for me.
Then I put in the NOS Russian 7189 quad (I think they are from late 70's). They worked better in my amp being more linear. They had more weight to them but did have less clarity. Still good detail even in the lower mids and bass. A little touch of slam. More to my tastes and the preamp tubes I have were pretty effective with them, but still need to try some mellower ones. I decided to stick with just rolling preamp tubes for flavor and sell the Amperex and JJ EL84's. The Scott is nice but I think it wouldn't be worthwhile for me to acquire too many tube$ for it. I expect at some point to go another level up amp-wise.
I also improved my room with more absorption which brings out a fullness and solidity to the music and takes out alot of the treble reflections I was used to and didn't know were screwing things up. I'm happier letting the equipment create the ambience.
More later, Don

weirdo

« Reply #28 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:27 pm »
Nodiak, please let me know how the 5751 tryout goes. I am curious about them too. Does the 5751 clean up any residual hum and racket?

nodiak

« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2007, 04:08 pm »
Tried the 5751's. These are a 2 mica Sylvania, I don't know when they were made, am guessing a later model. I'd say the background is quieter. They are relaxed but probably because of rolled off treble.The midrange is emphasized but not sharp, more full. Bass was pretty strong but a bit soft. I think these aren't the nice ones. And I can't tell from just trying one pair if the 5751 idea is good with this amp, mainly because of softness and rolled treble.
Tungsram ecc83's - these are the real deal. The first time these tweeters sounded good and not washy/smeared (a big relief). I can only guess but I think these tubes are in the ballpark of TFK, Siemens, Mazda from descriptions. Excellent dynamics, clarity, ambience, instrument seperation, etc. Not mellow...not too hot either, but still more on the bright side. Made me want to have a Mullard GZ34 to give a bit more body (if they do that). One of them is going bad (ocean sounds) so I need a new one. Now I know the right tubes are necessary for the amp to shine.

After a few more hours with the Tungsram it's obvious they have big deep bass, very nice and helps my system out as the bass can be a bit soft. This is the kind of thing I like about tubes in general, finding something that compensates for a lack in the system.

Don
« Last Edit: 3 May 2007, 05:07 am by nodiak »