ISP CHANGE FOR ASPEN

AKSA

ISP CHANGE FOR ASPEN
« on: 22 Mar 2007, 10:29 pm »
Folks,

In the next couple of days I will be changing to People Telecoms from Bigpond.  This reflects pricing and availability of VoIP, which is attractive for long distance calls both in Australia and overseas.  Sadly I can't tell you the new email address just yet, but I will notify it as soon as it comes to hand.
If you need to contact Aspen in the next few days, PM on this forum will work fine.

Thanks for your patience, an ISP change is always inconvenient,

Hugh

aurelius

Re: ISP CHANGE FOR ASPEN
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2007, 11:41 pm »
Have you told your friend Justin? I'm sure he would be hurt!

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2007, 11:50 pm »
Hugh, why don't you get an @aksaonline.com email address?

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2007, 04:32 am »
Folks,

The ISP change is going VERY BADLY.    :scratch:  We are NOT HAPPY.  They forgot to send me a modem, despite my order, and I'm now cut off from Bigpond wef 23rd and probably not likely to be up until late this week.

I sincerely apologise for the problems this is causing my customer base.   :evil:

Mark,

Justin has not answered my emails, has not notifed another lunch date, is 'hurt' relevant at his lofty position on his salary?  I dunno.  I think his life is incredibly busy.  Truth is, I was not that happy with the Bigpond service, and at the asking price, it's around three times the price it should be.

John,

Good point.  But how do I do that? (I have the net skills of a garden snail, regrettably.....)

Cheers,

Hugh

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2007, 07:09 am »
Hugh: first stop would be the company your website is hosted with. I think most webhosts provide email addresses these days.

Second would be to purchase a dedicated account on a specialized email provider. But try step 1 first - ?

JohnR

rabbitz

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2007, 10:38 am »
JohnR is right as there should be email addresses available through your web hosting. Have a look at your control panel at your web hosting. I have 15 addresses available through mine and are routed via my personal email account so all is done from the 1 interface, in my case Outlook Express.

AKSA

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2007, 07:52 am »
Thanks Peter, John,

Will contact the webhost!

I'm baaaccckkk........

New email address for me is aspen1 -at- people.net.au.   :hyper:  The old one at aksa1 -at- bigpond.com is now defunct.  I feel bad about this, but only this present ISP offers me VoIP, something I really want to try.

The new modem, a beauty from Netcomm, is connected via USB;  I've yet to connect via ethernet cable, my preferred option, but it works!!  Something of a baptism of fire, I have the software abilities of a garden snail, but what the hell.....   :lol:

Thanks to all for holding fire during the changeover.   :thankyou:

Cheers,

Hugh

Hegemony

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:33 am »

Hi guys,

Just a quick message from Hugh.....

"More ISP issues, not online at the moment, might be a couple of days until the problems are all resolved."

Bill "Your LF100 is on its way today, thanks."

Cheers,
Russ

wmeckle

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2007, 12:18 am »
[Godaddy AD removed]
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2007, 10:37 am by Admin »

AKSA

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2007, 01:43 am »
Thanks Russ,

Appreciate your putting in my bleat about ISPs, modem companies!

Bill,

Thanks for the tip on Go Daddy!  I'm with Dreamhost, quite happy with them, recommended kindly by Brad from Denver.  The problem is chronicled thus:

1.  Order new ISP with modem and line filter 13th March.
2.  Two days later receive autoreply saying I'd NOT ordered the modem and filter.
3.  15th March I inform them by email that their order is incorrect, I need the modem!
4.  23rd March old ISP switches off, new ISP activated, but still, no modem, can't connect!
5.  Ring HELP, complain about no modem, they relent, send one out next day.
6.  Connect up (with some difficulty, I'm a digital neanderthal) and it's not fast, but it works.
7.  28th March modem starts to drop out, disconnect, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour.
8.  Ring HELP, complain, they triple test it remotely, finally agree it's faulty (it's brand spanking new!) so will send out another.
9.  2nd April, nothing has arrived, so ring again, no dice, they finally agree to send a used modem, which they guarantee will work.
10.  It's now 4th, nothing has arrived by courier, I'm locked into the home waiting as they won't deliver if no-one is present, and it's looking like it won't be here until after Easter.  Hmmm......... :scratch:

This is all well and good, except that I've paid for a new modem, they admit no liability, hours waiting on a help desk queue have left me somewhat jaded, and God knows how many orders have been missed.

A lot of fun.  Problem is, you can't have two ADSL services on the one telephone line;  one has to be switched off when the other is activated.

It's been a barrel of laughs, on top of that the Cressida has a busted thread on the heater fitting at the end of the cylinder head, now THAT'S a real challenge as we've just found it's been helicoiled, and the helicoil is now sticking out, impossible to seal.  So my faithful old Cressida can't be used for the SA trip this Easter.

Apart from that, I had a quick ride on my ZRX yesterday, very nice, and my latest prototype circuit works like a dream, and the new TL in a 32 litre re-designed box is just sensational.  All in all, things are pretty good.

I take this chance to wish all customers past present and future a very pleasant Easter with family, and thank you all for your indulgence with my very trying coms problems!!

Cheers,

Hugh

DSK

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2007, 03:23 am »
Yikes! If People Telecoms are that crap at getting a new client online I'd be rather worried about service levels and ongoing support.  :o

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2007, 03:53 am »
Problem is, you can't have two ADSL services on the one telephone line;  one has to be switched off when the other is activated.
Hugh, for future reference (or in the unhappy event this is needed again), the word to look for is "churn." There is no need to deactivate the connection.

http://whirlpool.net.au/ is a good resource to use in advance for all things ISP :)

wmeckle

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2007, 04:12 am »
Hugh: Received LF 100, and tests and sounds good. Will ship old modules Mon.
Have a couple questions though, so please let me know when your E-Mail is up & running.

Thanks Bill, good news, I'll get back to you as soon as I'm back on the network, appreciate your patience.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2007, 07:04 am by AKSA »

psgary

« Reply #13 on: 11 Apr 2007, 01:55 am »
I hope I'm doing this right since I'm still learning my way around this board. 

I've lost contact with Hugh in the middle of building a Lifeforce 55.  (He's probably not unhappy about that since I've deluged him with e-mails.  The prospects of canonization look good for Hugh.)

Has anyone had contact with him by e-mail recently.  I was worried that he is all right.

Thanks for any help.

Gary
Palm Springs, California  U.S.A.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #14 on: 11 Apr 2007, 02:36 am »
Hugh's fine.  Spoke to him by phone yesterday and having coffee tomorrow or Friday.  He was off today to pick up his replacement modem from the warehouse as - you guessed it - he was out for a short while when the courier attempted delivery.  Sure got out of the wrong side of the bed last week to bring this week on. :D

psgary

« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2007, 02:45 am »
Thanks.  I'll try to e-mail him again.  Maybe my ISP is out of whack.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2007, 02:51 am »
He has received emails on his new 'aspen1 -at- people.net.au' but clearly needs his replacement modem working hopefully today to catch up with the backlog.  Alternatively, PM him.

AKSA

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2007, 07:03 am »
Thanks John.  I really am determined not to learn from my many mistakes.....  dammit, I'm a digital luddite....

Gary, I'm alive and living in Argentina.....  Problem is, I have now a second modem, the first was defective, and can't get this one to go either, so it's off for a while, as the Netcomm Help Desk is deluged and I can't get help there either.  People Telecoms are unable to help;  predictably, they say it's all a modem problem!!

I will answer your PM;  right now I'm in the Public Library, where I visit every few days.  Man, is this system slow!!

Canonization, huh?  I'm something of an agnostic, God help me.....

I'll look forward to the Papal Bull....

How are the wiring issues coming along, Gary?

Thanks Lyn, much appreciated your letting people know.  You'll be amused to hear that the head has to come off the Cressida AGAIN because a helicoil in the heater fitting is springing out as its tightened and there is no obvious way we can seal it without rethreading it, an impossible task in situ.......  Ah, a spate of difficult situations at present, it will pass......

Cheers,

Hugh

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2007, 10:33 am »

Canonization, huh?  I'm something of an agnostic, God help me.....

:lol:

AKSA

« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2007, 09:23 pm »
Folks,

Things are jogging along unhappily with my new ISP;  the connection consistently drops out after about half an hour but I do have communications.  The ISP has claimed just about everything outside their control is resonsible, including sunspot activity, but while it is unsatisfactory it is workable and I'm confident that some time in the next few weeks I will find out why....... :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh