Sapphire XLs - separationa nd toe-in

samg

Sapphire XLs - separationa nd toe-in
« on: 21 Mar 2007, 03:27 pm »
What are people's experiences regarding degree of separation/toe-in for these great speakers? Mike, any preferences in this area?

ScottyWatty

Re: Sapphire XLs - separationa nd toe-in
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2007, 07:34 pm »
Our listening room is also our living room (13'Wx17'Lx9.5H ave vaulted ceiling).
I have found the best sound with about 7' speaker separation, 18" from back of speaker to the back wall, and about 7-10 degrees of toe in, which is a function of where my listening chair is more than the ideal toe in for the room at large.
With this set-up I have no gaps in the "soundstage" and do not seem to miss anything that is otherwise presented in the music. 
Of course, I'm so high on these speakers you could turn them sideways or backwards and I'd be happy with the sound! I'm not a good source for accurate information as I'm still in the honeymoon phase! :wink:

ScottyWatty

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2007, 01:08 pm »
What are people's experiences regarding degree of separation/toe-in for these great speakers? Mike, any preferences in this area?

It ALL depends on the room and equipment. My setup right now has the Sapphire XLs about 8 1/2' from tweeter to tweeter, listening position about 11' back. The speakers are around 4' out into the room. This is a BIG room. In a smaller room, everything would be tighter . . .  it would be cool if a bunch of owners posted their results here, we all learn!

Interestingly, in this setup, people often HAVE to walk over and put their ears next to the XLC center to make sure it isn't playing . . . they have a hard time believing that only two channels are yielding this wide, deep and solid soundstage.  :D

samg

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2007, 04:35 pm »
Thanks, Mike. I am in a much smaller room but my ratios are about the same as yours. The phenomenon of the sound being utterly unconnected to the box it is coming from is one which I too experience. Do you have your tweeters on the inside? With such a wide setup I would assume so. And do you do no toe-in at all? SG

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2007, 07:47 pm »
Thanks, Mike. I am in a much smaller room but my ratios are about the same as yours. The phenomenon of the sound being utterly unconnected to the box it is coming from is one which I too experience. Do you have your tweeters on the inside? With such a wide setup I would assume so. And do you do no toe-in at all? SG
[/quote

You're right, tweeters to the inside. And I do have them toed almost directly to the listening position.

griller

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2007, 07:54 pm »
When I get the XLs they'll be in a room that is around 15 foot wide. Do you think it important to control the first reflections?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2007, 04:37 pm »
When I get the XLs they'll be in a room that is around 15 foot wide. Do you think it important to control the first reflections?

Griller:

No question . . .. dealing with the first reflections improves the sense of space and soundstage width, AND often helps solidify the center image as well.