GK1 Platinum and BEYOND.......

kyrill

Re: GK1 Platinum and BEYOND.......
« Reply #200 on: 28 Apr 2008, 03:39 pm »
i would be interested in the group buy too too but give it a go and start a new thread "calling" GK-1 owners to come forward. It would be silly to go all the way for a GK-1 and then react lukewarm to cold to this mod

PT914

« Reply #201 on: 30 Apr 2008, 03:32 am »
Hi,

I just finished placing the large Solen caps at only the repositioned C4 location on a Gk-1R that I built for my son.  I have yet to give it to him, but right now I’m using it in my workshop system.  This is a very simple system with a bottom of the line Sony DVD-Cd player with the smallest Paradigm bookshelf speakers powered by a LF50.  The Solen caps look like outboard fuel tanks on the wing tips of a plane.  I was initially afraid that what I heard on my Orion system with the Solen caps was mainly due to the other upgraded components.

Nope and the good news is that the C4 is the most important cap position.  I can safely say that the GK-1R sound is twice as good, now with these large caps.  Yes this GK-1R has the platinum caps at C1 and C19.  C21 is stock.  What is twice as good?  Well the pianist is twice as good and the drummer has twice as many cymbals.  Bass is also better from these small speakers.  Imaging is amazing for the bookshelf position.  Well I’m very pleased with only the C4 caps replaced.  Happy listening.

Cheers,
Philip

andyr

« Reply #202 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:53 am »

I just finished placing the large Solen caps at only the repositioned C4 location on a Gk-1R that I built for my son.

"Greater love hath no man that he should build a GK-1 for his son"!!  :lol:

I really don't think mine would appreciate it ... he's firmly of the "iPod with earbuds" generation! :D

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #203 on: 30 Apr 2008, 09:19 am »
Next time I visit, Andy, I'm going to have a word with your son.  He needs some character guidance, I can see.

Phil,

Many thanks for your post, seminal information.  Can you please send me a short test email, I'm having real problems connecting with you......

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #204 on: 30 Apr 2008, 10:03 am »
o dear Hugh :notworthy:
I have 2.5 sons. 2 of myself one is me nephew son of my best friend and neighbor. Der nephew is 4 weeks older than my youngest .ALL of them are iphone earpod lovers and prefer mp3 over flac
Can i send them to you? as a return favor you hold them  in yr workplace alias labour camp and learn them how to solder, clean the ground, do your admin, count yr inventory and call you 'master"

AKSA

« Reply #205 on: 30 Apr 2008, 10:27 am »
O Kyrill,

I would like that, can they call me Bwana??

I'm not quite 84 yet, but I'm getting there.......

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #206 on: 30 Apr 2008, 11:44 am »
"Young Bwana"
then :wink:

whubbard

« Reply #207 on: 30 Apr 2008, 11:54 am »
kyrill,

I think a group buy might be the way to go here. Since there are some of us state side, I would be willing to order them, then distribute to those in the us, then ship one box down under, where one of you could distribute the rest.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=QkNLLRillGlAv7CRXI%2fxIQ%3d%3d

We would need 17 people to buy 8 of them, or 14 people to buy 10. Basically we need to hit the 135 mark if a group buy is going to work, but if we get close enough, I might be willing to pick up the slack, and then have some extra caps incase someone comes in late into the buy. Also, the factory lead time is 12 weeks!

The only problem is that I have no way to match capacitors, and therefore I could not ensure that all four would be close in value to those who are state side.

-West

p.s. If there is a cheap capacitor tester that I can build, or buy, I might be interested in picking that up to help this group by, and future projects.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2008, 12:08 pm by whubbard »

RonR

« Reply #208 on: 30 Apr 2008, 12:39 pm »
My Wima 22uF MKS2-XL caps have just arrived in the post.

I got 2 good matched pairs from 6 Caps, so I'll attack C4, then C7.

Unfortunately, modding won't be possible until the weekend, but I'll post my first impressions then. I also have a couple of 20uF Solens to compare them with, but this will take a bit longer....

Cheers,

Ron.

andyr

« Reply #209 on: 30 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm »
My Wima 22uF MKS2-XL caps have just arrived in the post.

I got 2 good matched pairs from 6 Caps, so I'll attack C4, then C7.

Unfortunately, modding won't be possible until the weekend, but I'll post my first impressions then. I also have a couple of 20uF Solens to compare them with, but this will take a bit longer....

Cheers,

Ron.

Remember ... you need X hours to run them in properly!  aa

Good luck!

Andy

kyrill

« Reply #210 on: 30 Apr 2008, 01:16 pm »
Hi Ron
how did you obtain the Wima's?

I dont assume you ordered 100+
?
kyrill

whubbard

« Reply #211 on: 30 Apr 2008, 02:11 pm »
Ron,

Would you also mind explaining how you matched the caps.

Thanks,
West

RonR

« Reply #212 on: 30 Apr 2008, 02:35 pm »
Andy,

I'd expect at least a few days burn-in for the wimas from what I've seen elsewhere, around a week to be conservative, although one person has reported 800 hours  :o.

The Naim modders on the Pink Fish Media forum are using the 10uF versions as coupling and feedback caps with some success, so I'm optimistic that these will work well. (I'm part of a group buy for some of these at the moment, but we also fell foul of the 12 week lead time).

Kyrill,

The only place I've found that has these in small quantities is http://www.tawelectronics.com/, but they're expensive!  :icon_frown: I got 6 at 11 USD each, around double the price you'd pay for a minimum bulk order.

West,

I have a digital multimeter with capacitance tester built in, so matching the caps was just a case of testing each cap and finding the closest values. I usually write the real value in pencil on the side of the cap, in case they get "Shuffled".
You can get a DMM with capacitance tester for a reasonable price nowadays, but make sure the range of measurement is to your requirements.

Cheers,

Ron.

« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2008, 02:48 pm by RonR »

kyrill

« Reply #213 on: 30 Apr 2008, 02:50 pm »
Ron following yr link and seeing all those Wima caps
http://www.tawelectronics.com/wima_film_capacitors.htm
why was chosen for the
WIMA MKS 2 film
Metallized Polyester (PET)
Film Capacitors in PCM 5 mm,  max. is 22uF
and not for
WIMA MKP 4 film
Metallized Polypropylene (PP) Film Capacitor
PCM 7.5 mm to 37.5 mm,  max. is 33uF

as in general pp ( teflon like dielectric constant) sound (so) much better than polyester?

RonR

« Reply #214 on: 30 Apr 2008, 03:17 pm »
Hi Kyrill,

The reason for looking at the MKS2XL is: Size! Lead spacing is 5mm, and dimensions are 11 x 16 x 7.2 mm
It should fit on the GK-1 board with minimal disruption.

The MKP4 in 22uF has a lead spacing of 37.5mm, and dimensions are 20 x 39.5 x 41.5 mm, which means mounting off board with flying leads.

The MKS should be an improvement on the original Electrolytics at C4, even if they've been replaced with Black Gates.
I'm also going to test Solens as a comparison to the Wimas, but the Solens are also rather large, and will be "hanging" from the board by their leads.

Cheers,

Ron.

PSP

« Reply #215 on: 30 Apr 2008, 08:00 pm »
West,
Thanks for organizing the group buy... you can write me down for 8, 10, or 14 depending on how many people sign up.

I would like to wait until the Wimas have been compared to the Solens though.

I still owe you a bunch of Orion info by PM.  Thanks for your patience.  I've been very busy, but I'm starting to emerge from the forest and should have time to write in a few days or a week.

Thanks again,
Peter

whubbard

« Reply #216 on: 30 Apr 2008, 09:44 pm »
West,
Thanks for organizing the group buy... you can write me down for 8, 10, or 14 depending on how many people sign up.

I would like to wait until the Wimas have been compared to the Solens though.

I still owe you a bunch of Orion info by PM.  Thanks for your patience.  I've been very busy, but I'm starting to emerge from the forest and should have time to write in a few days or a week.

Thanks again,
Peter

Peter, I will mark that down. I have also order a capitance meter so I can match them as best as I can.

I agree about them being compared to the solens first, and don't think I will start a specific thread about the group buy until then.

I'm glad to hear that things are clearing up, and hopefully we can resume our discussions on the orion. Just yesterday I ordered $780 worth of sonicap platinums!!!

-West
(I typed this from my phone, so please excuse the errors)

kyrill

« Reply #217 on: 30 Apr 2008, 10:55 pm »

Peter, I will mark that down. I have also order a capacitance meter so I can match them as best as I can.

I agree about them being compared to the solens first, and don't think I will start a specific thread about the group buy until then.

I'm glad to hear that things are clearing up, and hopefully we can resume our discussions on the orion.
Just yesterday I ordered $780 worth of sonicap platinums!!!

-West
[/size]

Hi bro
we are bro's all of us
audiophile bro's :thumb:
I somehow assume the Solens will sound better than the Wima's but maybe not :green:

AKSA

« Reply #218 on: 30 Apr 2008, 11:06 pm »
Thanks Guys,

This is Open Source high end at its best, and I really appreciate the work, the passion, and the willingness to share.  It also takes faith, and a certain risk - West for example, spending $780, West, go to the top of the class!!  Thank you all!!

Kyrill, the laws of engineering are thus:

#1  If it's better, it generally costs more
#2  If it's better, it generally is much bigger
#3  If it's better, it generally is at the expense of some other quality....

:nono: :scratch: :scratch: :duh: :duh:

- and there endeth the lesson.  Ain't life grand??   :drool:

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #219 on: 30 Apr 2008, 11:17 pm »
You just wake up or you should be in bed a long time ago Hugh:D

I found this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/PP-Capacitor-47u-500V-PIO-Oil-Cap-300B-2A3-KT88-EL34-WE_W0QQitemZ290225337115QQihZ019QQcategoryZ71573QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
PolyPropuleen Capacitor 47u 500V PIO Oil Cap Hugh's universal law #2 applies here
but is it too big?  price 12.50 
« Last Edit: 1 May 2008, 08:04 am by kyrill »