Now that we're on the subject, what's the best digital playback you have heard?

IronLion

Best digital I've heard is my current system, Macbook Pro to Waveterminal U24 to Ack! Dack! 2.0 DIRECT to Signature 30 using it as an integrated.  Cables are Stereovox XV2, Zu Varial, Zu Libtecs.  I've since stopped looking to upgrade any components, except for my speakers, as this current setup is perfect- for me.     

TONEPUB

I also agree about the good preamp thing.

I've tried going direct with Meridian and Wadia and I never seem to get the
tonality or the dynamics that I get with either system using the preamp.

I know it kind of defies conventional wisdom, you would think that eliminating
a whole nother box and associated cables but it hasn't worked that way so
far!

I just always seem to get a lot more of the good stuff with the preamp
(C-J Act2/series 2 on one, Aesthetix Callisto Signature on the other) in
the mix.

Interesting.

miklorsmith

Yep, I had a recent thunderstrike upon inserting the recently-arrived Lamm LL2 Deluxe into the rig.  "What's missing?" turned into "Yeeeaaaahhhh!"  No joke.  I think it's more than electrical signal conditioning but I couldn't prove it even if you were pulling off my toenails to do so.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
...............what is the best digital playback you have heard at

a:  Cost no object

b:  within reason (3000 bucks or less)

Curious to see what you come up with!

For me, I've been digging a number of good CD players over the last two years
and currently enjoy the Meridian 808.  Is it the best CD player on Earth?
(Tas says it is...)  Don't know about that, but we are on a quest to keep searching!

I would love to hear the Meridian 808.  I have a 508.24, and still love it after several other more recent units.  Currently I have a Sony 9000ES, and I was amazed at its dimensionality aspects (soundstage, front to back.....).  Took me 300 hours to begin to like it though.  Somehow, I still like much of the older Meridian's rich and sweet mids, tho it suffers somewhat in transparency.  Because of that, I am still yearning to hear a Meridian 808, but that's out of my league ($-wise) perhaps.

I would like to hear anyone's experience on the Sony 9000ES.

arthurs

Best is so subjective...I've heard a few I really like quite a bit...the APL stuff I've heard was excellent, Audio Logic 24MXL with CEC transport was great, even better after mods by TRL, the Blue Note Stibbert was pretty terrific, I currently have a Resolution Audio Opus21 with Reference Mods by Great Northern Sound that does a lot of things right...couldn't say on "Best" however.......I'm looking forward to spending some time with a fully modded SB or computer based digital of some kind....that is missing from my experience database for sure....

RichardS

I agree with Art about the Audio Logic--it's the best I've heard in my system. Enough tube magic without any concessions to transparency. Also was impressed with the Art Audio Gill Elise I heard a while back, and still fondly remember the Mark Levinson 31.5/30.6 combo I heard in a store--didn't give up much if anything to their vinyl rig.
In the more reasonably-priced realm, the Tact 2150 DAC/amp is a great buy, especially when you consider it puts out enough current to amplify speakers directly, thus bypassing the need for a separate amp.
In the very reasonable arena, the Oritek Zhaolu handily replaced a modded Perp Tech set-up, a RAM-modded Toshiba and a Consonance CD player in a second system. I think modding decent inexpensive units can often provide great gains with minimal investment, though they may not hold value well on the used market when it's time to sell.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
I think the best CD playback I've heard is with a Rega Apollo that was going into an ARC SP-9MKII (I was listening to it before I bought the pre), and a big BAT power amp.

Gorgeous sounding, but the vinyl rig sounded ever slightly better ;)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
I currently have a Resolution Audio Opus21 with Reference Mods by Great Northern Sound that does a lot of things right...couldn't say on "Best" however.......

Hey arthurs, just curious about your statement. What about this player do you think it needs to get closer to "the best". Is there any particular area(s) you would like to see enhanced? If you want to PM me without posting publically, that would be fine as well.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
I also agree about the good preamp thing.

I've tried going direct with Meridian and Wadia and I never seem to get the
tonality or the dynamics that I get with either system using the preamp.

I know it kind of defies conventional wisdom, you would think that eliminating
a whole nother box and associated cables but it hasn't worked that way so
far!

I just always seem to get a lot more of the good stuff with the preamp
(C-J Act2/series 2 on one, Aesthetix Callisto Signature on the other) in
the mix.

Interesting.

Yep, I had a recent thunderstrike upon inserting the recently-arrived Lamm LL2 Deluxe into the rig.  "What's missing?" turned into "Yeeeaaaahhhh!"  No joke.  I think it's more than electrical signal conditioning but I couldn't prove it even if you were pulling off my toenails to do so.

Right on.  Previously: no preamp + speaker model X.  Sum total change was: good preamp added + speaker model same maker/technology two steps below X.  Result was more music, emotion, dynamics soft/loud, tonal gradations, nuance, transient speed, instrument seperation, enjoyment, transparency, lower noise, continue w/ audiophile descriptors ad-infinitum.  It defies logic but the improvement seems large & beyond debating, at least to me & the wife.  The amp & interconnects are/were a moderately easy load & don't explain the improvement.    

TONEPUB

There you go!

As for this being a post about the "best", I should re-state:

You can substitute best for "your favorite" or "most pleasant experience"

Harry Pearson always told us not to use the B word when I worked
at the Absolute Sound.

However, I am always curious as to how people quantify their
listening experiences....

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Listening experience quantified:

Good:
Goosebumps
Degree to which listener ignores the entire reproduction chain & is immersed in the music
Degree to which listener perceives an apparent understanding of the author's/artists emotional intent in the writing/performance
Depth of perception of multiple diverse simultaneous musical lines, while favoring no particular line over any other
Degree to which one is able to suspend one's disbelief & to percieve the performance as being in real time & real space

You're cookin' when goosebumps appear during playback, even while someone next to you is talking (to you, but you are kinda ignoring them because of listening pleasure).  That happened today.

Bad:
The degree to which one becomes bored w/ the experience & tends to daydream...or to think, "F'it, I'll turn on the TV &/or get som'pn to eat..."
« Last Edit: 3 May 2007, 07:05 pm by RibbonSpeakers.net »

arthurs

sent you mail Bill....

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
 Like a few other replies so far, being a dealer I don't want to come across a being biased but I honestly feel one of the better valued pieces in the $1k range is the Jolida JD100. I have been looking for another contenter in the <$1.5K range and have decided that others are only similar, not really "better" but cost more.

Yes, there are better players out there and obviously within this price point, better players for one's personal taste.

I also liked the Music Hall CD25 as a top contender when it was at the $500 price and felt it too was a very good entry level value. In fact, I am still running one of the very first versions that is now close to 6 or 7 years old. It has thousands of hours on it and it used daily in one of my "burn-in" systems for burning in amps and/or speakers.

I don't have enough experience with the $5k - $10K range to be able to make any comparisons.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Yep, I had a recent thunderstrike upon inserting the recently-arrived Lamm LL2 Deluxe into the rig.  "What's missing?" turned into "Yeeeaaaahhhh!"  No joke.  I think it's more than electrical signal conditioning but I couldn't prove it even if you were pulling off my toenails to do so.
Vladdy really hit the nail with the LL2 Deluxe!
That is just a real texture-master! You know when you touch an instrument with your fingers, knock on it slightly, say a violin, then you give it a yank with the bow, all that sound and vibration just oozing into you cheek! That kind of texture and finesse!
I do like the LL2 Deluxe! Don't own one, but it's an incredible and ( :bowdown: sort of cheap ) little pre!

Tube roll:
6X4 rectifier : Mullard (Blackburn plant, 1960/1961) some 30 to 40$ a pop.
12AU7A       : RCA; 5963, 60's... some ca 25$ a pop maybe. /60's clear top 12AU7A's some 60$ a pop..
You also have Mullard CV-4003 (M8136..) , powerfull dynamics...
---
I have a M8162 tube. Very good! (in an Earmax Pro) The Mullard M's are generally very good!
---
6DJ8            : Mullard Blackburn's... / 7308 Amperex PQ's /

Yup, stuff to look into for the LL2.. and DO TRY SYSTEM OF A DOWN on your system with this pre!!! :dance: Yeah!!! Don't forget "Roulette" either!! A track with very deeply interwoven textures of voice and strings!

And of course, Victor Wooten's "Amazing Grace" Slap Solo! (live version). A must hear with this pre!!!
Beg - Steal - or borrow, treat yourself to this!!!
Check it out! Preferably Budapest 2007.
Also the track "Glorious Pastorius" from Bass extremes is a classic with wooten.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 11:27 am by Imperial »

TONEPUB

Now that I have been listening (almost non stop) for the last month,
and I still LOVE my Meridian 808, the Naim 555 so far is the most
natural sounding digital I have ever heard.

It's a few clicks more realistic than my Meridian, but it's 18k more!

It goes from being "that's really great sound for digital" to "that sounds
as good as the record"  Pretty amazing.

vinyl anachronist

• The Vinyl Anachronist
Now that I have been listening (almost non stop) for the last month,
and I still LOVE my Meridian 808, the Naim 555 so far is the most
natural sounding digital I have ever heard.

It's a few clicks more realistic than my Meridian, but it's 18k more!

It goes from being "that's really great sound for digital" to "that sounds
as good as the record"  Pretty amazing.

The CD555 is quite unbelievable.  It ruins all other digital playback systems for me.  I'm scared to listen to my CDX2 now.  The love affair might be over.

In The Groove

In the Spring I heard Meridian's flagship CD player at their NA headquarters in Atlanta.  Superb.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
In the Spring I heard Meridian's flagship CD player at their NA headquarters in Atlanta.  Superb.

Every single report on the Meridien is pure glowing praise. 

TONEPUB

Yep, the 808 is fantastic and it gets my vote for
"favorite CD player under 15k"

I know that's kind of wacky....

I also like the fact that the Meridian plays DVD-a as well.
I have a pretty good collection, so it's a nice bonus.

I've been listening to the G08 too and it's quite good at its
price point...

Review to follow.

But that 555 is special.  I'm already scheming on how to keep
it here.  I may sell my car to keep it!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Has anyone compared the Rega Saturn to these top drawer options?