Can I use Tubro Off Ramp 2 in my situation ?

oris98

Can I use Tubro Off Ramp 2 in my situation ?
« on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:36 am »
I am currently using SB3 to drive my Turbo modded DAC1, since it cannot pass 24/96 to the dac, I am thinking of upgrading to Off RAMP I2S.  My questions are as follow:

Can Off RAMP play flac files ?  I have tons of flac files ripped and if the OffRamp cannot play Flac file, it will takes me long time to conver it.
How can I remotely control the offramp with my computer actually located in an other room 40'-50' cable length away from my audio room.  Are there any remote computer controllers that can control the computer in the next room to play, stop, FF, RW  ?
Many thanks.

audioengr

Re: Can I use Tubro Off Ramp 2 in my situation ?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2007, 06:20 pm »
I am currently using SB3 to drive my Turbo modded DAC1, since it cannot pass 24/96 to the dac, I am thinking of upgrading to Off RAMP I2S.  My questions are as follow:

Can Off RAMP play flac files ?  I have tons of flac files ripped and if the OffRamp cannot play Flac file, it will takes me long time to conver it.
How can I remotely control the offramp with my computer actually located in an other room 40'-50' cable length away from my audio room.  Are there any remote computer controllers that can control the computer in the next room to play, stop, FF, RW  ?
Many thanks.

Yes, Off-Ramp can play FLAC.  The players uncompress the files as they play.

Remote control of the player is possible using these techniques:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/18474.html

There are also some "PDA-like" devices that can remotely control another computer wirelessly.

Another alternative is wireless USB, which is only a month away.  I'm getting one of the first units.

Before you abandon the SB3:  I have some SB3 projects in the works, including using a Pace-Car with the SB3 which should improve the sound significantly.  Just putting a Superclock4 in the SB3 and modding the digital output should make a big difference and this will be less expensive.  I will post the results when I have them available.  It will still not do 24/96 though.  Evidently the Transporter will do this, but at much higher cost.

Steve N.