Are Bryston Components Fully Balanced?

ryder

Are Bryston Components Fully Balanced?
« on: 9 Mar 2007, 10:44 pm »
Was just wondering if the BP-26 and the older BP-25 linestages are fully balanced. What about their amps both ST and SST versions? There isn't any clear indication on this in Bryston pages. I need a preamp and/or amp with a full balanced circuit to fully take advantage of my Krell source that's full-balanced as well.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

Bob Reynolds

Re: Are Bryston Components Fully Balanced?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2007, 03:59 am »
I need a preamp and/or amp with a full balanced circuit to fully take advantage of my Krell source that's full-balanced as well.

It's just not the case. To get the common mode noise rejection advantage of the balanced lines from your source all that is required is a properly implemented differential input on the preamp. The BP26 provides this as can be seen in the schematic:

http://www.bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/pdfs/PREAmplifiers/BP26+MPS2_SCHEMATICS_2005-01-17.pdf

The differential input is implemented by one of Bryston's DOA33 discrete opamp component blocks. I don't believe you can find a better engineered preamp than the BP26 and definitely not a better value.

ryder

Re: Are Bryston Components Fully Balanced?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2007, 08:38 am »
Thanks guys for the links. Unfortunately I can't decipher the schematics (I nearly flunked electronics and digital circuits study in college 10 years ago) but I'll get one of my buddy to explain that to me later.

Bob, looks like your Bryston amps are all top of the range. I feel that your Arcam source is little out of place here. Just an opinion. I used to own the Arcam integrateds and CD player so I know their quality and sonic signature.

Cheers.