Presentation and some questions of a new Bryston fanatic

Gustavo

Dear Bryston friends.

My name is Gustavo Villa from Chile, I have been reading this forum for a while, I even upload some photos of my old system, I think this was four years ago (under Gustavo file name in the gallery) I’m a happy owner of a BP26DA preamplifier and a 4B NRB THX version, both I bought it secondhand, this superb products are matched with a pair of triangle naia speakers, occasionally I also use a pair of Polk LSi9 and Epos M12.2.

I have been using my stereo kit for a while with good results, nevertheless I have five questions about it:

1) I would like to associate my stereo bryston system with my home cinema system under the same frontal speakers and amplifier, in the absence of a bypass input in the BP26, I should take the front XLR signal from my audio/video preamplifier and connect it to my BP26 stereo preamplifier, the problem under this connection layout is the necessity of using the BP26 volume control together with my audio/video preamplifier volume control.  Is there any risk using this arrangement? It is the only way to associate my stereo system with my home cinema system enjoying the best sound of both worlds?

2) My 4B NRB has a black face-plate, and my BP26 has silver face-plate, It is possible to buy from Bryston a silver face plate for my 4B NRB? Actually silver faceplates, Was it an option for NRB models?

3) I have tested some CD players and DVD players (used as a transport) like NAD S500i, Arcam diva CD73T, Sony DVD 999ES with the fantastic DAC of the BP26, but I have no idea if there is a real improvement using hi end, high price CD transport (or cd player). Which would be a good matching suggestion for some of the good transports (or CD player) available in the market today for the BP26DAC?

4) Which is in your opinion the best price-quality coaxial cable to connect the CD transport with the B26 DAC? In Chile audioquest, MIT, VDH, Ecosse, Nordost and Monster are broadly available.

5) Some times my BP26 dac makes some relay "clicks" when I insert a CD in my CD player used as transport, ¿Is this normal? ¿Is there any risks involved for the dac relay in the long run?

Thank you all for your time, you bryston fun from the south.

Kind regards

Gustavo Villa

Phil A

Re: Presentation and some questions of a new Bryston fanatic
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2007, 03:04 pm »
Welcome - I've posted a couple of times to ask James if HT bypass is a possibility down the road with the BP-26.  He has not either noticed or answered.  I'm sure there are others like me who have an SP1.7 that they are considering for upgrade (waiting on HDMI in my case) and love 2-channel but have an all-in-one system.  I realize a smaller co. like Bryston will get stuff like HDMI not as quickly as some of the mass market cos.  So how about it James - any plans for a BP-27 with HT bypass?   For those who want that comfortable 20 yr. warranty on analog stuff and don't mind buying a HT rec'r or pre/pro every several yrs. with whatever new features are out there it would sure be nice.

I can't help with the rest of your questions much.  I do have an external (non-Bryston) DAC (Micromega DuoPro) and have found my Marantz DV9600 universal player and my Sony 2000ES (which is now in the bedroom system) CD/SACD changer work well as transports.  I had a Modwright Sony XA-777ES at one point and did not care for it as a transport.

nikolas

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2007, 09:19 am »
hi, i listen many transports and found the northstar best for bryston BP26DA

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2007, 12:10 pm »
Hi Gustavo,

Welcome back.

1. You would have to use the BP26 volume control at "unit gain" - about 1 o'clock to integrate it into a surround system.

2. Sorry we do not have Silver versions of the NRB series faceplates.

3. Leave that question to other members.

4. Any good quality cable as long as it has a 75 ohm impedance.

5. Yes it is normal - it is just the DAC locking on the signal.

james

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007, 02:19 pm »
Dear Bryston friends.

My name is Gustavo Villa from Chile, I have been reading this forum for a while, I even upload some photos of my old system, I think this was four years ago (under Gustavo file name in the gallery) I’m a happy owner of a BP26DA preamplifier and a 4B NRB THX version, both I bought it secondhand, this superb products are matched with a pair of triangle naia speakers, occasionally I also use a pair of Polk LSi9 and Epos M12.2.

I have been using my stereo kit for a while with good results, nevertheless I have five questions about it:

1) I would like to associate my stereo bryston system with my home cinema system under the same frontal speakers and amplifier, in the absence of a bypass input in the BP26, I should take the front XLR signal from my audio/video preamplifier and connect it to my BP26 stereo preamplifier, the problem under this connection layout is the necessity of using the BP26 volume control together with my audio/video preamplifier volume control.  Is there any risk using this arrangement? It is the only way to associate my stereo system with my home cinema system enjoying the best sound of both worlds?

Interestingly enough, the BP26 "does" have a "by pass" circuit in the tape loop.

Please refer to page 3 of your manual (the last paragraph in "to analog audio connections to other equipment") Here it suggests using the "tape" input, which bypasses the gain section.

However this does not allow the use of XLR cables, which may have a bearing on your using it.

So for those waiting for the by-pass, it is already there unless you need that tape loop for tapes, and even then a tape source can easily be used with any of the other analog inputs

jethro

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2007, 08:59 pm »
John:

You can't use XLR cables for the output of the BP-25/26 but you can use the XLR inputs on the
BP-25/26 ? Correct ? You might have to adjust the front L&R levels on the SP-1.7 if you use
balanced inputs down 3 dB or 6dB ( I can never remember).

I'm going to have to dig out my BP-25 which is just collecting dust and give this a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2007, 09:27 pm »
Thanks for the tip as well.  It's certainly something to consider.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2007, 10:43 pm »
John:

You can't use XLR cables for the output of the BP-25/26 but you can use the XLR inputs on the
BP-25/26 ? Correct ? You might have to adjust the front L&R levels on the SP-1.7 if you use
balanced inputs down 3 dB or 6dB ( I can never remember).

I'm going to have to dig out my BP-25 which is just collecting dust and give this a try.

Thanks for the tip.

Hi Jethro,

If I understnd your question correctly it looks like this:

Version 1:

Prepro XLR output>BP26 XLR input (selector Knob of the BP26 must be set to XLR input and tape switch must be set to source)>either XLR or RCA can be output to amps.  I beleive this version "bypasses" the gain stage (volume control) of the BP26.

Version 2:

PrePro XLR output>BP26 XLR analog input (volume control must be set at unity gain or as James suggested 1:00)>XLR or RCA out to AMPs.

According to this, I think I was incorrect that you cannot use the XLR and pass thru.  It now appears you can if you follow the above instructions.

SO you have both XLR input from the PrePro, Pass-Thru, and XLR amp output if desired.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2007, 02:00 pm »
Hi All,

The Tape Loop in the BP25/26 is the output of the input buffer (not truly a bypass).

Whatever you select on the source appears at that output - unbalanced only.

This could be used as a Bypass but - 1- it is unbalanced only and 2. that tape output can never control the level.

It would seem that to use this arrangement in a non-bypass mode you would still have to move the interconnect cables from the Tape to the Main out on the BP25/26 unless I am missing something.

james

nikolas

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2007, 03:08 pm »
Hi, James
can you tell me about bryston cdp
any new about wen is ready for sell
and is it Philips transport or sony
thanks a lot
Nikolas

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com