new b200s to replace fostex FE206E

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
new b200s to replace fostex FE206E
« on: 7 Mar 2007, 08:04 pm »
Well, I was in Australia recently for the second round of the World Superbikes at Phillip Island - what a weekend of racing! - and popped into SoundLabsGroup (after driving around Melbourne armed without a map and asking locals for directions!). Many hours later I emerged with a new pair of b200s. They had a pair of speakers with Manger and Scanspeak drivers running there; man, what a smooth, detailed treble. Never heard anything quite like it. $6K mind you.

Looking forward to getting the b200s up and running. I'm wanting to create a minimalist OB but given I have no woodworking skills of any note, and a minimum of tools, will be trying out another flat piece of ply with wings. My significant other would probably prefer a "flower" type of baffle (anything small to the point of non-existence would be an improvement, according to her).

I know the cut out is about 190mm (7.48 inches). I'm wondering what is the narrowest baffle I can use, and the least height for the baffle. Currently, my Fostex OBs run to 37 inches (height) and width is about 10 inches. Also, I plan on using wings around 12 inches wide and 37 inches tall. Anything taller interferes with viewing the monitor from the listening seat.

Another query: should the speakers be mounted centrally, or offset (to the inside) for improved imaging?

Does rounding off the edges help improve imaging?

I plan on not using piano hinges as these seem to rattle, and the "enclosure", for want of a better word, needs all the bracing it can get. Ply seems to ring a bit.

These will be a template to facilitate run-in of the b200s. Hopefully, the final version will have a bit more artistic flair. And will be done using proper hardwoods and CNC machine. So it's not so mankey!

JANDG

Re: new b200s to replace fostex FE206E
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:09 am »
18" W is what I feel is the # for best imaging, as found from Mr.C on Decware forum. I find his recommendation true . Roundover= yes IMO & wings are something I hear like this... the more you fold those things back, the more magic you lose........

Rudolf

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2007, 09:52 am »
Luigi,
the narrowest open baffle that works for the B 200 seems to be this one:

The baffle is 30 cm wide and 120 cm high, driver at ca. 75 cm. You would need a sub for bass (look at the dipole bass next to the B 200 OB) and a small filter with 1.5 mH and 10-15 Ohm.

This OB must be placed near (30-10 cm) to the front wall, but needs >1 m to the next side wall. If you are interested, I could give further information. And don´t get baffled by the Coral driver in the picture. The OB has proven to work with the B 200 as well.

Rudolf
www.dipolplus.de
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2007, 12:24 pm by Rudolf »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:36 pm »
A "minimalist approach" Rudolf...It's actually very sexy lookin.

Nice Job Sir.

Bob

tyee

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2007, 04:01 pm »
Rudolf
   I have some B200's and would like to build what you have shown above. Could you send more info, like simple schematic of how to wire the crossover you mentioned and what driver you recommend for the sub, like in the above picture.

Thanks
tyee

Rudolf

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2007, 10:00 pm »
Could you send more info, like simple schematic of how to wire the crossover you mentioned and what driver you recommend for the sub, like in the above picture.

Tyee,
this baffle is not mine. It has been invented and built by a buddy I met in the German loudspeaker forums. While I never listened to this OB myself, I got some measurements and favorite comments of others who did hear it. Anyway with that narrow plank of wood its not much cost and effort to try it out if you already have the B200.

I will have to dig a little bit deeper into "dipolism" to explain this strange minimalistic baffle and its in-room-conditions to be met. So I will start a new thread for it. I believe this will be in your interest too.

Rudolf

phil25

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2007, 10:32 pm »
Great picture. What kind of fullrange driver is in that box? Also what kind of driver are you useing for the subwoofer. iI really like this design. Two tumbs up bro.

Luigi,
the narrowest open baffle that works for the B 200 seems to be this one:

The baffle is 30 cm wide and 120 cm high, driver at ca. 75 cm. You would need a sub for bass (look at the dipole bass next to the B 200 OB) and a small filter with 1.5 mH and 10-15 Ohm.

This OB must be placed near (30-10 cm) to the front wall, but needs >1 m to the next side wall. If you are interested, I could give further information. And don´t get baffled by the Coral driver in the picture. The OB has proven to work with the B 200 as well.

Rudolf
www.dipolplus.de