Bugle and ELP Laser Turntable

hagtech

Re: Bugle and ELP Laser Turntable
« Reply #20 on: 8 Mar 2007, 06:39 pm »
As mentioned above, power doubles every 3dB, voltage every 6dB. 

If the ELP is analog, then the laser merely reads the grooves with a continuous beam and converts optically somehow (via interference or reflection) to voltage.  No digitizing involved.  Any chance there are some adjustments or alignment that can be tweaked?  Maybe its just a matter of focus?

jh

honesthoff

« Reply #21 on: 8 Mar 2007, 06:48 pm »
Am I correct that this is a $15,000-$19,000 TT?  Wow, for that kind of scratch it should be flawless.  I believe a read a review of the ELP in The Sensible Sound last year and they had similar problems.

vanmeter

« Reply #22 on: 8 Mar 2007, 06:56 pm »
No, no adjustments beyond a calibration record. I didn't pay quite that much, but it was up there. I've been mainly pleased, but a lot of my later rock & R&B records don't play too well because of the distortion issue. But then, tend to listen to older music more so it's not a constant issue. I wish there was a solution, which is why I was asking about overload.

G.ear

« Reply #23 on: 9 Mar 2007, 07:51 am »
First, a big thanks to samplesj for contributing his explanation of the voltage gain issue.  I knew I had to be way off base because it just didn't make any sense.  Nonetheless, in practical experience with the ELP, I can tell you that the standard 2 volt output of most CD players is significantly less than the output of the ELP through a 42 db phono gain stage, not the other way around as your calculations would suggest.  I know this to be true because to play back at the same level as a CD, I must reduce the line stage volume control to approximately 1/2 of what it would be to play a CD at the same volume level.  Perhaps the average record has velocities greater than 5 cm/s.

Vanmeter, it sounds to me like you are having some kind of a problem with your particular unit.  What you are talking about is not an issue with my player, and I know several other people with these, and they have never complained of it happening when they play highly modulated or "hot" LPs.  In fact, if anything, I've found the tracking to be considerably superior to the vast majority of phono cartridges.  I certainly don't get distortion on high hats or "s" sounds as you describe, though with the H-Cat in the system, it just distorts in general.  So, in my case, I truly believe it to be an overload problem, but in your case something may be out of alignment resulting in mistracking and distortion.  I assume you have contact information to reach the manufacturer--it's probably time for a tune-up.

Dean