My review of the Altmann BYOB amplifier (Bring Your Own Battery)

Vtech2000

:D
http://www.mother-of-tone.com/Reviews/brad.html

...you can also find the review on the Altmann web site - scroll to the bottom of the page below to, "A Whole New World Awaits Us".

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/byob.htm

ferenc_k

Every bit is true, I have absolutely the same experience with my Avantgarde Trio and BYOB (plus Altmann Attraction DAC and Creation ADC). You can categorize the BYOB sound, it just does not have any, but not dry, as the so called neutral amps. When you hear it, you are not forced to reference or compare it to any tube or ss amp. It sounds honest, pure, the fluidity, rhythm is far, far better than the price suggests.If you have a Zu Druid or Tone try with the BYOB amp. You will be extremely surprised for sure.

macrojack

• Restricted
Can anyone comment on the comparison between the Altmann BYOB and the RWA Sig 30?

robert1325

Yeah that would be interesting for my dad, he's crying right now... Selling his beloved Audion 300B PP amps.... ( tubes are empty)

JDUBS

Can anyone comment on the comparison between the Altmann BYOB and the RWA Sig 30?

I'd like to hear about a comparison of these two as well.  Is the BYOB Tripath?

-Jim

ferenc_k

Is the BYOB Tripath?

No, I think it is not.

audiotone

No it is not a tripath...

It simply is the best amplifier ever made...at any price!
I have also the Altmann Dac and amplifier...evryone who comes to listen to this system are planning to get rid of everything they have at home and they are going to buy the Altmann stuff...(some of them have already done so)

rest of the system:
CEC TL51 cd transport
Behringer Ultramatch SRC (cheap trick! you will get 10-20% more music from your cd's!)
AMM dac and amp
Jordan jx92S VTL with subwoofer (and supertweeter sometimes)

:duh:

JDUBS

No it is not a tripath...

It simply is the best amplifier ever made...at any price!
I have also the Altmann Dac and amplifier...evryone who comes to listen to this system are planning to get rid of everything they have at home and they are going to buy the Altmann stuff...(some of them have already done so)

rest of the system:
CEC TL51 cd transport
Behringer Ultramatch SRC (cheap trick! you will get 10-20% more music from your cd's!)
AMM dac and amp
Jordan jx92S VTL with subwoofer (and supertweeter sometimes)

:duh:

audiotone, can you expand on your thoughts regarding this amp?  What other amplification have you compared it to? 

Thanks!

Jim

audiotone

Some of the amps I owned/repaired/modded:

NAD 3020 (many years ago)
Michaelson and Austin TVA 1
Radford STA 15, 25
Quad II
Mark Levinson mono's (can't remember the model)
Krell mono's
Le Class A (Hiraga)
Beard
Audionote PSE (forget the rest but it was an EL84 type)
Hypex Class D ucd180
and quite a few  homebrew tube amps (EL84, EL34, KT88, 6550, 300B)

some of them had very good sound, some of them had great power, but good sound and plenty of power that is something I only have found in the Altmann Byob amp.

I have never heard anything that is so musical, powerfull, sweet, dynamic (micro and macro)...
And I always thought I made the best amps possible...
Well I have found somebody who is better then me...and believe me this hurts!!!

pardales

I have had the BYOB amp and Attraction DAC for almost one year now. It took a leap of faith to go with them initially, but it was well worth it. Clear, full, well-balanced, highly involving, sound. Really great stuff that is hard to explain in words.  :thumb:

I actually owned the SIG 30 for about a month. It is a really fine amp. I did not consider it to be dramatically different than the BYOB. I did have to give the edge to the Altmann in my system. I will say that they were close enough that system dependencies may sway you one way or another. They are branches off the same limb of the tree.

Abbey Road

Audiotone,

How's the Altman drive the Jordans.  Just curious - I have the same speaker  :thumb:.  I'm currently using a Panasonic SA XR-25.  My understanding is that the Jordan's like power - especially chip amps. 

audiotone

The Jordans do not like just any power...
they did not like my PPP KT88...(wich plays wonderfull on my TLS80's)
they did like the power of the UCD180 class D...

But they extremely like the richness, sweetness and dynamics (micro and macro) of the Altmann Byob.
And this combination can play loud as well...
I guess it is better to have good sounding 15 Watts with good PSU instead of 200 Watts with lesser PSU....

Anyway, the Byob amplifier is the most musical piece of equipment I have ever heard.
The same goes for the Altmann DAC.

pardales

Prior to having my current speakers I owned a pair of VR-4JR's -- The BYOB drove them with power to spare. It is a very deceiving 10 Watt amp. 8)

macrojack

• Restricted
What is the landed cost in the U.S. of each piece (amp and DAC) and what options of each are recommended as necessary for full benefit?

pardales

The price of both base units is 750 Euro. Since currency rates fluctuate the USD amount will not always be exactly the same. Today's conversion rate (www.xe.com/ucc) yields the following:

Base unit BYOB AMP:  $1021.00 USD -- (no options that significantly effect price)

Base unit Attraction DAC: $1021.00 USD

The Attraction DAC has three options: JISCO = $340, Sample Rate = $340, Optical Input = $130 (again, these are today's conversion prices -- in Euro its 250 for JISCO and Sample Rate, 95 for the Optical In).

In my experience, the JISCO is a must as it allows the DAC to be compatible with any transport. Whether you need the others depends on your system needs. You may get a deal if you buy both. Charles is a fantastic person to deal with. All info can be found at www.mother-of-tone.com -- someone should probably double-check my conversion numbers -- remember they could be different tomorrow.

This gear has been a real gut-check for me. It has forced me to ask the question of myself: "is it the music or the gear that you are into?" Before this I had a revolving door going  :| Now, I will not even let a new piece into my home unless I have return privileges, because, chances are its not going to stay. Its the music, it just took a little time to find the sound I really like in a hi-fi system -- low watts + efficient speakers (single driver-crossoverless-in my case).
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2007, 04:06 pm by pardales »

audiotone

What is the landed cost in the U.S. of each piece (amp and DAC) and what options of each are recommended as necessary for full benefit?

Go for the full monty...the next step you will investigate will be Highrez Audio.
With the Altmann products you will get full satisfaction.
Nothing left to be desired.

macrojack

• Restricted
My appetite for Altmann was whetted by my inclusion in Mike Smith's Attraction road tour. I was impressed enough with that experience to want to buy a Attraction DAC. I am currently using a RWA Sig 30 and need a pre out for my subwoofer amp. This seems to provide me with two reasons to pass on the BYOB amp. If it is that close to the Sig 30 then I needn't experiment.
I use a Sony DVP-S7000 as a DVD player and as a CD transport into my RWA DAC. Until the Altmann arrived I thought I was set forever with digital. I remember that we sat down to watch a movie one night and got no sound. Rather than fool around with Altmann I just switched back to the RWA and watched the movie. In retrospect I wonder if I could have played the film by simply changing the sampling rate. Does anyone know why I had no sound? This would be a stopper if it were not compatible with my two channel home theatre.

pardales

I don't know for sure, but I bet it was just the sampling rate that caused that to happen for you. A few times that has happened to me, where I had no sound, and I had to switch the sample rate because I was getting something higher then 44.1.

audiotone

My appetite for Altmann was whetted by my inclusion in Mike Smith's Attraction road tour. I was impressed enough with that experience to want to buy a Attraction DAC. I am currently using a RWA Sig 30 and need a pre out for my subwoofer amp. This seems to provide me with two reasons to pass on the BYOB amp. If it is that close to the Sig 30 then I needn't experiment.
I use a Sony DVP-S7000 as a DVD player and as a CD transport into my RWA DAC. Until the Altmann arrived I thought I was set forever with digital. I remember that we sat down to watch a movie one night and got no sound. Rather than fool around with Altmann I just switched back to the RWA and watched the movie. In retrospect I wonder if I could have played the film by simply changing the sampling rate. Does anyone know why I had no sound? This would be a stopper if it were not compatible with my two channel home theatre.

You have to set the sample rate manually on the Altmann DAC...you probably have 48Khz or 96Khz output on your DVD...in some cases you must reset the Altmann by switching it off and on again in order to connect to a different sample rate...
I use the Behringer SRC to connect all my sources to the Altmann DAC...sample rate always set at 96Khz on both sides.

I connect my sub via high level input if I do not use my preamp...works even better (better integration of the low frequencies)

JDUBS

This is definitely an interesting amp.  Any comments on using the integrated volume control vs. a preamp?

-Jim