Transports make a difference and whats better hard drive???

megawatt

Hi audiophiles....I want to know if its a waste of time buying a c.e.c 51xr or 51 transport only for a external dac or any hi end transport versus a Linux base PC had drive for music.

Three different engineers told me fancy transports are a waste of money.

Whats yr opinion? Thanks for your help.....Oh..is anyone familiar with the Monarchy dac m24?

I am using a lap top using windows...Linux is zero latency but you need to know someone to set Linux up. I heard its awesome. I don't want to waste my money on a hi end transport and find out later the PC Linux stuff smokes it.

slugworth

Re: Transports make a difference and whats better hard drive???
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2007, 11:47 pm »
If I understand your question, I'd say go PC. The only time a cd player "might" have an advantage is if it uses own DACs. SP/DIF from a transporter vs PC should favor the PC in general. I'm assuming a good usb converter.

megawatt

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2007, 11:50 pm »
Hi buddy...so yr saying a stand alone cd player with built in dac is better than an out board cd player dac?

The_KiD

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2007, 11:52 pm »
My CEC Transport definitely edges out my Squeezebox 3 going through the same DAC..

Both sound great but the Transport is better..

KiD

megawatt

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2007, 11:55 pm »
Do you have any web sites about yr usb dacs and pc...I am using an xmod from Creative 80 bucks and bettering a Creek cd player. and I am using a pro usb dac e-mu...I am waiting for a Monarchy m24 dac to come in and i might get a Trend da for usb

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:04 am »
My CEC Transport definitely edges out my Squeezebox 3 going through the same DAC..

KiD
Stock SB3 or modded?

Dan Banquer

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:08 am »
I'm using a Plextor CD ROM Drive with a Marion Marc 2 Sound card out to my DAC. It's as good as my G&D Transport if not very slightly better.
Long live the CD Transport, the Transport is dead as far as I'm concerned.
                           d.b.

The_KiD

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:12 am »

KiD
Stock SB3 or modded?

My SB3 is stock..

studley

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:22 am »
I'm using a Plextor CD ROM Drive with a Marion Marc 2 Sound card out to my DAC. It's as good as my G&D Transport if not very slightly better.
Long live the CD Transport, the Transport is dead as far as I'm concerned.
                           d.b.

I think Meridian use CD ROM drives in their Transports and CDPs.

Dan, have you synced the clock in the sound card to the clock in the DAC?   I've read many times that that is the best way to minimise jitter.

megawatt

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:29 am »
Hi The kid

Wow....I was told if the PC stuff is done right its good but a real good transport dac combo is still better.

RCA 75 ohm can effect the signal and also usb cable has issues. I guess what ever sounds right to the person counts. Thank you so much for telling me kid

Dan Banquer

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:31 am »
I don't use a word clock sync if that's what you are referring to. Do you really think you need to go to the expense of a studio quality word clock? The sound card has a the CS8427 transceiver chip which is also transformer coupled on the RCA SPDIF so I isolate the computer ground. The CS 8427 has decent jitter rejection and I expect most of that jitter coming from a computer to be of high frequency. The DAC has some decent high frequency rejection, from the CS8412 DIR, and I could easily change the filter for it to go lower.
Hopefully sometime later on this month I will take a bunch of measurements and we will see what we will see.
       Transports? We don't need no stinking transports!
          Poncho Villa AKA d.b.

megawatt

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:19 am »
I'm lost on the sync stuff..yes I did lift the ground on my lap top. Why don't you like transports?

Dan Banquer

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:27 am »
I'm lost on the sync stuff..yes I did lift the ground on my lap top. Why don't you like transports?
I'm sorry you lifted the ground on your laptop, try using either an optical or transformer coupling instead. It's better for safety reasons.
One very major reason. The laser diode in the transport or ROM drive will wear out in approximately 6 years given average use. The cost to repair an "audiophile" transport, if you can get a replacement part, is more expensive than replacing the entire CD ROM drive. In addition the transport will not have better accuracy than a CD ROM drive, and the transport will not let you use exact audio copy to put your library on a hard drive.
  Transports? We don't need no stinking transports!
   Poncho Villa AKA d.b.
P.S. My G&D Transforms is on it's second laser diode and still running, but it's time is numbered.

Double Ugly

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2007, 02:51 am »
Wow....I was told if the PC stuff is done right its good but a real good transport dac combo is still better.

IMO and IME, you have been misinformed. 

WRT 'stock' Squeezebox 2s and 3s, yes, they can be bettered relatively easily by decent or better CD players or transport/DAC combos.  However, I've yet to hear a transport/DAC combo better than a properly modified HDD-based system.  We all hear differently and want different things from our systems, but I believe many here will agree with me.

FWIW, and as always, YMMV.

-Jim

megawatt

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2007, 03:01 am »
Hey Dan I am using an external hard drive...do i really need to worry about a CD ROM or dvd Rom and its usage? are you talking about an internal ROM drive?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2007, 03:07 am »
I'd agree with DU.  A digital modded SB with a good linear power supply and even a middle of the road NOS DAC will smoke but all the most expensive units.  We compared a Boulder modded (digital) SB3 with the Boulder PS and an MHDT DAC up against an approx $10k Wadia 2 pc unit - differences were small with the advantage going to the SB combo for a LOT less money and a lot more flexibility and ease of use.

Bryan

megawatt

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:03 am »
I was just reading about Empirical audio its is expensive gear...I was looking at 2.5 or the most 2.7 which is pricey

I was thinking about a CEC transport tL51x along with Monarchy m24 and the dip or another dac without a built in preamp which turned me off about the Monarchy...but it got some great reviews.

Monarchy is 1080.
CEC is about 1390
dip 300.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2007, 05:11 am by megawatt »

megawatt

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:07 am »
I was wondering if anybody is familiar with the cec one box cd player tL51xr 

http://www.cec-international.de/pages/s51.html

Double Ugly

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:54 am »
This Empirical audio is expensive gear...I was looking at 2.5 or the most 2.7 which is pricey

Who said anything about Empirical Audio?

If you're really serious about getting the best sound, contact Wayne @ Bolder Cable about getting a Squeezebox 2 or 3 modified.  Get that done, purchase the Ultimate II power supply and you'll have a source that'll hang with the best available, regardless of price.

Total investment?  Not sure, but probably around $2500.  WAY less than the Empirical Audio gear, and with the added benefit of having your music-laden HDD anywhere in your abode.

Otherwise, go with the CEC.  You seem somewhat smitten by it, and by most all accounts, it's a nice transport.  I doubt it'll sound as good as a Bolder-modified SB, but as my wife is fond of saying, "You can't miss what you don't know you don't have."

Regards,

-Jim

megawatt

« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:15 am »
meant to say i was reading about Empirical audio...correction above..thanks for the info