A response to misleading information posted on Zaph Audio

Watson

Re: A response to misleading information posted on Zaph Audio
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:29 pm »
dlr has done a good job of responding above.

John Krutke has also taken the time to respond on his blog:
http://zaphaudio.com/blog.html
It's worth going there to see his response.

Anything shown on a CSD plot is linear distortion by definition (it's a linear system, no new frequency components are added to the output that didn't exist in the input).  This point -- the distinction between linear and nonlinear distortion -- is very basic signal engineering.

:lol: Yes, but in turn if it were linear it would be the same at all frequencies.

Sigh, that kind of smiley is inappropriate.  Everything shown on a CSD plot is a linear phenomenon.  This is very basic signal engineering.  If you do not understand that point, it's a waste of time to argue with you, I'm sorry.

If anyone is interested in a discussion of this point, and a clearing up of the misconceptions, see this thread, where several of the respondents have a good grasp of the basic concepts:
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=23996

John Krutke won't have the time or interest to respond to your posts

Maybe that's why he responded to me the way he did huh? He's got time for driver testing, but no time to learn anything from an industry professional.

John takes a lot of time to learn from industry professionals.  He took a week's vacation to go (along with Mark K) to the DST meeting with Ken Kantor.  He just realizes when people have an agenda.

I have no issues with objective measurements if taken correctly.

What I don't like seeing is un-factual observations like "Breakup node at 5.5kHz with energy storage problem" when there is none even by his own measurements.

Again, there is a breakup, and there is stored energy.  You're just trying to choose your definitions of those terms to only include major cone breakup, of the type seen with rigid cone drivers.  The M130 breakup by the way is easily audible by listening to them fullrange, unfiltered.  I've done this; I'm not speaking out of thin air.

WOR Radio

• Main Website
« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:39 pm »
Just a quck question:

Who would use the M130 running up to 5.5K in a practical application?

To me, this is similar to complaining about a tweeter having a "peak" at 900Hz when the practical X/O fq would be quite a bit higher than that.  Measuring anomiles outside of the specified bandpass is one thing but since the driver is not intended as a "tweeter" what differences (with a proper filter) would it really make?

Nothing I would be concerned about..

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:09 pm »
So to what do you ascribe this hump? Something causes it. Any driver SPL FR output that is non-linear is either some form of damping that is not flat with frequency, is a resonance or is due to horn loading since the input for measurement has to assume flat FR in the input signal. Drivers are subject to the principle of conservation of energy as much as anything else. Humps would  preclude horn loading if it's in the middle of the passband.

A resonance will be seen as stored energy. If it dies at the same rate as all other areas and shows no signs of stored energy then why call it such?

:lol: Yes, but in turn if it were linear it would be the same at all frequencies.

Danny, taking an attitude here is inappropriate, especially since he is right and you are wrong.

I said "yes". I acknowledged his correction of linear and not non-linear. I also made a joke of it. Note the laughing icon.

Breakin is not going to have a significant impact on distortion measurements. That's a straw-man argument that does not discount in any way John's measurements. Take issue with other aspects, but to deride based on this provides no support for your position.

Really? Show that burn in has no effect on distortion measurements. You also missed the point. If one does not even take the care in burning in a driver prior to running T/S parameters then what does that say for other measurement taking technics. It doesn't convince much credibility to me.

How is the low frequency data separated from room noise if the room noise from the computer used in measuring creating a higher measured level than the distortion?

He did say, accurately, that the distortion has an impact, not that it tells you how it will sound.

No, he said "significant impact on the sound of the final system".

I contend that not only is it hard to distinguish .5% from even 1% (not significant), but that the method in which it was taken can't even distinguish it from room noise.

If the measurements being made quasi-anechoic at some distance such as 1m then yes, that will have an impact. However, what's important is the relative impact. If the mic is placed close to the driver, then the relative levels are what matter. Background noise can be masked to some degree by the measurement technique used to improve the S/N ratio/. At mid and higher frequencies as well, the background noise will be non-correlated which is a significant factor. Don't be too eager to dismiss.

I agree. But how were they measured? What distance? What was the signal to noise level ratio? Where is the measured level of the noise floor posted? And since room noise levels are less prominent in the upper ranges they are less of a factor, and upper frequency ranges can be measured for distortion more accurately in upper levels.

Being condescending is not flattering. He is attempting to be accurate in a scientific sense. You want to have others "learn from a professional" so-to-speak, yet you would deride the scientific approach?

Yea, you really got me there. Not only was my use of the word "ringing" not scientific but my response to how petty it is to pick at it is condescending.  :roll:

Hold it. There IS a resonance at 5.5K with a relatively high Q in his measurement.

It died quicker in that range than any of the other drivers tested, yet he points out that the M-130 has a stored energy problem. Give me a break. There is no stored energy problem with the M-130 at 5.5kHz.

BTW, do you have a set of truly anechoic or even quasi-anechoic measurements to provide? That would be enlightening for sake of comparison. Just as our measurements differ from those of, say, Scan-Speak or Seas, having yours as a basis for comparison would be interesting.

I have a really old measurement from 2005. This was not taken in a way as to be accurate though. If I remember correctly it was taken in a box with little dampening. There are some reflections in the 1.5 to 2kHz range that may be box related. Looks clean in the 5.5kHz range though.

How about calling a shaped dust cap a "fake phase plug"?

That was a bit overboard. If it's not metal it won't help the distortion characteristics as a metal plug will, but it should function in the other respects, no trapped air as under a dust cap with a bit of top end smoothing.

Yes, I would agree. Kind of like trying to demean it by calling the frame "plastic" While in general terms the polymer frame can be considered a plastic. I believe the intent was to demean. I didn't really think so at first but after his e-mail to me I realized his attitude. He even said in the e-mail "Actually, I don't care if I offend you or not." So you tell me? Is the guy really trying to provide a non-biased service or taking pop shoots at the guy he thinks is a snake oil salesman?

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:34 pm »
Sigh, that kind of smiley is inappropriate.

Hey I acknowledge it was linear and not non-linear. "Yes" The smiley was so you would know I was just kidding with my response. I am sorry you didn't get it.

John takes a lot of time to learn from industry professionals.  He took a week's vacation to go (along with Mark K) to the DST meeting with Ken Kantor.  He just realizes when people have an agenda.

Well if he ever wants to take the time to come learn something from this industry professional my door is open despite the things he has said.

And an "agenda" is when an individual takes swipes at a small company with misleading comments because of the old objective verses subjective differences, and NOT when the small company has to take the time to respond.

Again, there is a breakup, and there is stored energy.  You're just trying to choose your definitions of those terms to only include major cone breakup, of the type seen with rigid cone drivers.  The M130 breakup by the way is easily audible by listening to them fullrange, unfiltered.  I've done this; I'm not speaking out of thin air.

The the decay rate of the peak dies just as quickly as all other frequency ranges then how is it that you hear it. You are simply hearing a peak in amplitude.

Thanks for the link. I think his words speak volumes (sadly).

At least he admits: "and there is a slight chance I screwed up the T/S measurement."

Yet he is not interested in correcting that information or taking me up on any offers to send him drivers so that he can check his measurements.

I offer him assistance and help, and give an open invitational to discuss and share knowledge.

He calls me "arrogant and condescending" and "...considering his normal snake oil babble".

Yes, that really spells it out pretty clear. His response was just as I would have expected. Just name calling.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:39 pm »
Who would use the M130 running up to 5.5K in a practical application?

I know, but he's just looking for a place to throw dirt.

And thanks for your kind words. You too geekinthehood, Daygloworange, and many others. Those of you that have actually gottin to know me, know me best.

geekinthehood

« Reply #25 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:47 pm »

Excellent idea. Taken straight from his blog:

Danny has a long history of being arrogant and condescending to anyone not seeing things his way, and this was immediately shown in his first email to me. I've got a low tolerance for bullshit, (even without considering his normal snake oil babble) so it only took 2 emails for him to end up in my spam list. Even if I had not tested a GR driver, I would still not be thrilled to hear from him because I've seen some of his exchanges with others.

I could remeasure someday, but then again I don't really care enough.

This is the kind of fire that burns for a while, and like I said, I'm not interested in participating. I'll make sure this blog post stays up for a while so people can see that I am aware of Danny Richie's antics. Some of you, particularly my European readers are probably thinking "who the hell is Danny Richie?" Well, I can only hope he doesn't worsen your opinion of Americans. :)

"Not participating?" What a hypocrite.

Honestly, I don't know enough about speaker measurements and testing to have an opinion, but I do know enough to recognize a  sleazy salesman when I see one. There are two ways to be seen above the crowd: You can either hold your self up, or you can push others down. He obviously chose the latter route.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #26 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:48 pm »

I'll agree with you there. It's worth seeing that he really does have some serious issues. If anyone is arrogant here, and standoffish, it is John Krutke. The guy is slanderous. He doesn't address the issues, but rather, attacks characters, and casts aspersions. Sorry, I once again stand by my statements, the guy has a serious attitude problem. Period.

And for all those European readers, Danny Richie is one of the founders of GR Research. You should check out his many successful commercial designs.

If anyone is interested in a discussion of this point, and a clearing up of the misconceptions, see this thread, where several of the respondents have a good grasp of the basic concepts:

People discussing their views and clearing up misconceptions over there is OK, but not here, right? How many industry professionals with commercial designs are discussing that over there?

John takes a lot of time to learn from industry professionals.  

He just realizes when people have an agenda.

Apparently, he's (John)not as open as you would have us believe. Your accusations of condescention and arrogance and agendas are really annoying, as they are unfounded. Danny is one of the most open and helpful guys around in audio, or in any business for that matter.
Anyone who's ever met him, or dealt with him continually, will, I'm sure attest to this. I'm going to assume you haven't. (Opinionated????? show me someone who isn't, in audio)

Danny has an open forum here for dialog, not a closed off site like John Krutke, for blogs, monologue, and (self serving, and self elevating) declarations.

Let me be clear here, I have no beef with John Krutke. I was experimenting with a HiVi 3" driver a while ago and found out that he (John)had tested it, and liked it (as did I). I wanted to contact him and ask him some questions about it (as I had some possible commercial applications for it), till I saw on his site, that he doesn't want phone calls, or emails from anyone. I didn't think much of him then, and this isn't helping you paint a better picture.

On the other hand, I spoke to Danny about this (commercially available)driver, and he took a look at some things for me, and gave me some thoughts and recommendations as to possible applications for it.

Yeah, that's attitude, and agenda for you.  :roll:

Cheers

« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2007, 01:48 am by Daygloworange »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 3 Mar 2007, 06:03 pm »
If I may butt in here just for another point of view:

Based on what I have seen from the manufacturer's data and that published by the reviewer. the driver in question seems well behaved inside its intended bandwidth and should sound fine.  It's not perfect, but nothing is.  I think the reviewer has let personal animosity cloud both his judgment and his responses to Danny.

Danny: if you feel this posting is inappropriate just delete it. 

JoshK

« Reply #28 on: 3 Mar 2007, 06:45 pm »
If I can just give one suggestion as a member, not a moderator.   All members involved in this discussion, here and there, have said their $.02 now.  Obviously people see different ways, and there is clarity that there are two views here on many different aspects of this argument.  I suggest everyone leave it at that.  This thread isn't going anywhere with further discussion on that matter.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #29 on: 3 Mar 2007, 06:49 pm »
Without responding to anything in particular, I just wanted to say that Danny is one of the most even-keeled, respectful guys I've ever had the chance of dealing with.  DLR, Watson, or anybody else trying to make it sound like he's not is just argumentative.  Defending John - who is FAR more argumentative and cynical than Danny - while pointing the finger at Danny is just hypocritical. 

Now I'm going to go back to listening to these, while my RS180/RS28a MTM's are relegated to the basement.

WOR Radio

• Main Website
« Reply #30 on: 3 Mar 2007, 06:59 pm »
Obviously people see different ways, and there is clarity that there are two views here on many different aspects of this argument.  I suggest everyone leave it at that.

I agree..to a point..BUT..

We are not talking opinions here, we are talking about someone using:

-Measurements and data (even if not scientifically accurate/skewed etc)
-Using a Monologue blog to belittle (without rebuttals being allowed)
-Character assassination using strawman tactics (using out of range figures to make a unified point)
And genuine jealousy.

If these things are not discussed firmly, they are allowed to become rampant and when someones reputation is on the line, speaking out where it is NOT a monologued set of rules... is of order.

When two sides are not presented, people tend to favor the one and only side..especially if it is negative in nature.

Dan makes great speakers. Some people don't like that. Tough on them.

(Brian does as well)

That is all I need to say about this matter.

dlr

« Reply #31 on: 3 Mar 2007, 07:15 pm »
A resonance will be seen as stored energy. If it dies at the same rate as all other areas and shows no signs of stored energy then why call it such?

That's contradictory. A resonance, ANY resonance, is by definition stored energy. Anything wrong with calling it what it is? The rate at which it diminishes doesn't alter that. Highly damped resonances are still resonances, i.e. stored energy. Again, almost all FR non-linearities are resonances.

Danny, taking an attitude here is inappropriate, especially since he is right and you are wrong.

I said "yes". I acknowledged his correction of linear and not non-linear. I also made a joke of it. Note the laughing icon.

Guess I took the icon intent the wrong way. It looked to be derision. My mistake.

Really? Show that burn in has no effect on distortion measurements. You also missed the point. If one does not even take the care in burning in a driver prior to running T/S parameters then what does that say for other measurement taking technics. It doesn't convince much credibility to me.

I don't take most T/S parameters as accurate in general other than from a manufacturer that can test large samples. In general I don't even trust my own much. For any high production driver such as those from S-S or Seas, I'll take their T/S parameters before mine. The fact that his may differ from yours or mine does not invalidate all else he might do. Very few people other than manufacturers spend as much time on distortion tests. He and Mark K are providing some of the most useful information in my opinion. I could do distortion testing, but it would take a while for me to get up to speed and experience. Mark, John and I have all found occasional significant deviations in production drivers. They vary in many ways. I find that DIY efforts tend to disclose the warts in drivers more so than any other source, at least of those who make their findings public.

How is the low frequency data separated from room noise if the room noise from the computer used in measuring creating a higher measured level than the distortion?

Measured distortion is not based on absolute levels of SPL. The noise from the PC is constant. The signal level for testing measures the relative relationship between signal and noise, so it's relative to the main signal. The closeness of the mic to the driver can and does help to mask the room noise.

In addition, as I said before, environmental noise is uncorrelated with the signal. The processing in the PC through correlated measurements signficantly reduces any background noise, especially if that background is uncorrelated. I've got several PCs in my basement on most of the time. The noise floor is easily around 50db. However, with LAUD I can make a measurement at any signal level and get a measurement that is normalized to 2.83v @1m, it's default. I've measured drivers with very high SPL and almost hush-quiet absolute SPL. There is very little difference in response, usually at the low end. Not because of the PCs, but because of other low frequency background noise that is not fully non-correlated.

Just as an example, an MLS type of measurement system is used to measure the sea level. With all of the wave action you'd think it difficult to measure it accurately. Yet they can measure a 1 inch rise or drop in average sea level. How? Waves are uncorrelated with the average sea level. The software can process  and remove its influence. Same with SPL within limits, of course.

He did say, accurately, that the distortion has an impact, not that it tells you how it will sound.

No, he said "significant impact on the sound of the final system".

OK, let me be more precise. He said as you quoted, but that much is true. It will have an impact on the sound, certainly is isn't the only determinant. If it doesn't, again, why would you add the extra cost of a Faraday ring in yours? It's primary function is to reduce motor distortion. It's audible. It _will_ impact the final system sound. I can't see how you can say no, it won't impact on the sound. The Faraday ring would otherwise be useless, but we both know that it has an impact.

I contend that not only is it hard to distinguish .5% from even 1% (not significant), but that the method in which it was taken can't even distinguish it from room noise.

I don't know what the research says about absolute audibilities of distortion, but the fact that at some level it is audible is not debatable. I don't agree that his method is flawed.

Think about it. If what you say were true, then that room noise would show ALL drivers he tests to have the same distortion measurements. They would be correlated from one to the other. I don't see that.

If the measurements being made quasi-anechoic at some distance such as 1m then yes, that will have an impact. However, what's important is the relative impact. If the mic is placed close to the driver, then the relative levels are what matter. Background noise can be masked to some degree by the measurement technique used to improve the S/N ratio/. At mid and higher frequencies as well, the background noise will be non-correlated which is a significant factor. Don't be too eager to dismiss.

I agree. But how were they measured? What distance? What was the signal to noise level ratio? Where is the measured level of the noise floor posted? And since room noise levels are less prominent in the upper ranges they are less of a factor, and upper frequency ranges can be measured for distortion more accurately in upper levels.

I'm not sure that he doesn't describe his measurement technique. I believe that it's to be found, but it may not be an obvious link. I know that he and Mark have debated their various techniques at some length. It would be useful were he to detail his measurements the way I have described mine at my site.

It died quicker in that range than any of the other drivers tested, yet he points out that the M-130 has a stored energy problem. Give me a break. There is no stored energy problem with the M-130 at 5.5kHz.

Any driver with a resonance such as that has a "problem", though this is a bit of the semantics of descriptions. Most drivers have them with few exceptions, though. Many would claim that those that are so highly damped that they don't exhibit these resonance peaks don't sound as good, especially in the midrange. I don't ascribe to that, but this gets into the subjective aspect of drivers with/without such peaks. I prefer highly optimized doped paper cones myself, e.g. the 12m/4630.

I have a really old measurement from 2005. This was not taken in a way as to be accurate though. If I remember correctly it was taken in a box with little dampening. There are some reflections in the 1.5 to 2kHz range that may be box related. Looks clean in the 5.5kHz range though.

Well, I see a resonant ridge in that 40db scale that is around 5K or so. It appears to be similar to the measurement John made. It's "stored energy". If it weren't there, the FR would be flat and there'd be no ridge at all in the CSD.

I don't see an issue with it myself. It would be relatively easily handled in a crossover, but the fact remains that it's there. Why try to say it's not there when it is? Whether it's benign or not depends on the user and their needs. It may not do for first order, say, but 2nd or higher and it becomes nearly insignificant.

Yes, I would agree. Kind of like trying to demean it by calling the frame "plastic" While in general terms the polymer frame can be considered a plastic. I believe the intent was to demean. I didn't really think so at first but after his e-mail to me I realized his attitude. He even said in the e-mail "Actually, I don't care if I offend you or not." So you tell me? Is the guy really trying to provide a non-biased service or taking pop shoots at the guy he thinks is a snake oil salesman?

John can be very abrasive, that I will certainly grant. I also don't concern myself with his blog. I don't agree with a lot of it, but that doesn't affect the information he provides in his testing.

Mark, John and I are occasionally in loop. Mark buys or is loaned a driver, tests it, sends it to me to do my usual FR measurements, find sources of FR problems and see if I can tweak them. A few of these are then forwarded to John for his testing. Our FR measurements usually are reasonably close, but since I don't do distortion testing I just read his and John's data and make of it what I can. I seldom take any single source as definitive.

That's what makes the DIY efforts worthwhile. I take everyone's input with a grain of salt and filtered by my own experience.

I wouldn't discount the DIY efforts. Sometimes they provide more accurate data. At times it's just additional data from a different perspective. I value both.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2007, 07:28 pm »
If I can just give one suggestion as a member, not a moderator.   All members involved in this discussion, here and there, have said their $.02 now.  Obviously people see different ways, and there is clarity that there are two views here on many different aspects of this argument.

Josh, with all due respect, I think that the biggest problem here is that John Krutke is closed off to any discussion. He blazenly characterizes Danny on his website, and without the ability for anyone to chime in. This is a hostile move. Period. And it seems, is prone to being echoed by people without reason. I have a serious problem with that.

If John really wanted to prove that his accusations are right, he would have put forth an effort to communicate with Danny. Should that have happened, and not gone well, it would cement his accusations. As such, all his blog about Danny is hearsay.(and potentially harmful)

I'd rather see a discussion between the two, and a sharing of information, and opinions. Two heads are always better than one.

Danny is still open to discussion despite all of this. John Krutke, never was.

Cheers

JoshK

« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2007, 07:33 pm »
DGO,  you've already said that, others said that, how many times does it have to be said?  That is my point.  You said it, now let it be.  Saying over and over isn't going to change anything. 

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #34 on: 3 Mar 2007, 07:40 pm »
Fair enough. I'm going to go rock out with my GR Research OB 5's and GR Research PR sub.

Anyone wanna come over and listen?  aa

Cheers  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 3 Mar 2007, 07:50 pm »
If I may butt in here just for another point of view:

Based on what I have seen from the manufacturer's data and that published by the reviewer. the driver in question seems well behaved inside its intended bandwidth and should sound fine.  It's not perfect, but nothing is.  I think the reviewer has let personal animosity cloud both his judgment and his responses to Danny.

Brian,

Considering the adversarial level of our known exchanges in the past and considering that of any and all competitors you've ever had I can't think of any that you have hated more then me. So I can't imagine anyone construing your observations with any bias towards me or in my favor for any reason. That said, I can only conclude your observations as genuine and if even you get that impressions I must conclude it as pretty obvious.

dlr,

Rather than banter back and forth about the data specifics I will reply simply with this observation. While measurements in themselves are a valuable and objective tool it is obvious that reading that data is just as subjective in observation and analyst as listening impressions. 

ShinOBIWAN

« Reply #36 on: 3 Mar 2007, 09:07 pm »
This is just too funny. Especially the part where some one posted a picture of their GR speakers then frothed at the mouth yet still expected to have their opinion looked at as unbiased... ROFL.

Some of you lot really need to get out more. In my eyes Danny and John are innocent in all this and its the shit stirring, paranoid, inferiority complex, internet nonses that are to blame. If you read that and took offense, your the ones that I'm talking about.

Facts:

Zaph Audio is a valuable resource to the DIY'er.

GR Research is a successful driver, kitset and loudspeaker manufacturer.

Who gives a shit about the rest?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #37 on: 3 Mar 2007, 09:26 pm »
Danny:

Thanks for allowing me space on your Forum.  I'll be brief:

John  Casler filled me in on what appears to be a root cause of any bad blood between us, a remark I made to you at our one and only meeting during the 2003 CES.  I apologize for any unkindness I may have shown towards you.

We are now both associated with Mark Shifter and I see no point to attacks on one another considering both you and I have had success in the field and maintain good reputations.

Anyone with a technical background should be able to read the published data (by both sides) on your driver and conclude that it performs well measurably and, very likely, audibly as well.

The reason any independent manufacturer goes to the trouble of custom-making drivers is to improve on commercially available product and, in the process, save his customers some money and stay competitive in a crowded marketplace.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2007, 09:47 pm by Brian Cheney »

RAW

« Reply #38 on: 3 Mar 2007, 10:50 pm »
I think everyone has covered all the topics of likes and dislikes and a little more off topic as well.
But really people a driver (M-130) of this nature , sound quality that this driver is capable of for the money less than $24.00 is a bargin
And for Danny to have the products that can produce at the levels they can has to come with a lot of merit.

Tests a side all test should be taken with a open mind as NO one measures driver the same period.Software settings on the measurement equipment,placement of measurement equipment, room issues as far as acoustics, equipment used, measured distance,temperature,break in time.These are just to name a few of issue that are never the same at anyone time as far a random driver testing.

Person attacks as never good business.

All the best to Danny as is he is one of the most likeable people in the Audio business and will open his mind to those who would like to ask for any input, good or bad input Danny will voice his own thoughts.

MY final words.Just show me some one that can take a driver produced for the same cost remember less than $24.00 and impediment that driver into so many well designed speakers.

(plastic aside YA YA not plastic) I myself just went and jumped on a M-130 I broke it :duh: :duh: :duh:
Well lets say I jumped on it by itself (all 225lbs) on the floor no issue at all well less putting my foot threw the cone a few times.
Now I must complain about harmonic distortion with cone break up to boot! :wink:
Then I placed the M-130 ,well placed a screws on each side of a box and jumped in the middle of the driver.Darn thing brokeafter I jumped the 4th time.This frame :surrender: Sorry I have to stop and call Danny for a warranty.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #39 on: 3 Mar 2007, 11:13 pm »
Funny, Al.   I just found this thread.  I had a discussion a few months ago with Danny about John's measurements and comments.  Danny had objective, unemotional, factual rebuttals, particularly regarding what is best measured anechoically.  I wanted to post a question or two, but now I'm glad I didn't, as John probably would have ignored it.  His response to Danny speaks volumes.  Too bad, as I respect the time he invests to measure drivers and post results and comments.

Guys, the only way to be objective and end the animosity is to share with each other your exact measurement techniques, test a couple of burned-in drivers and show the results.  Danny may POSSIBLY be wrong on a point, as well as John.  Human, aren't we?  I'd like to see them compare what they're doing and find and explain the differences to us DIY-ers.  THAT would really help us.

I think there's some remnant of bad blood from years ago when Danny and some others crossed swords and Danny wasn't as mellow as nowdays.  But, that's history.

Want to have drivers tested in an anechoic chamber?  One of my electronic projector manufacturers is also one of the 3 biggest driver/speaker manufacturers in the world (they are not Danny's supplier) and has chambers in Taiwan and China.  They make speakers for lots of U.S. and European brands (you'd be very surprised) and do know how to test drivers objectively.  I might be able to get them to test a couple of drivers.

Everyone take a deep breath and enjoy the weekend. :D