Regular price $929.99 sale priced $799.99 for March
http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__RA8_Speaker_kit_March_special,801.html
As well a pre order for the RAV1X using the new XBL^2 M-130 will be coming

With a Cherry veneer finish your kit can look like these
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2007, 05:12 pm by RAW »

DonP

Re: RA8 Array kit sale priced $799.99 for March
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2007, 05:40 am »
I have been wanting to order these for a year and a half. I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger, the family always needed something else more. I missed the free shipping, then the price went up from $899 to $929. I was going to wait until after property taxes, and income taxes were done. Then I saw this sale and had to pull the trigger.

Mine will be recessed into an entertainment cavity that is 36" deep. I am building them sealed, and the finish will be a professionally applied truck bed liner over MDF since they will not likely be seen other than the drivers.

I'll post pictures as I go...

klh

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2007, 07:45 pm »
Please keep us posted.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2007, 02:34 am »
Alright, help please ...

A friend wants me to build a system for him that's capable of true 105db reference levels in his large room.  It's 17x29 with 15' vaulted ceilings, fortunately his seating position is only about 14' from the speakers. 

My decision is pretty much down to RA-8's or the LS-6 array.  My math of 100 watts into a RA-8 and losing 6db for every doubling in distance vs. 100 watts in a LS-6 and losing 3db for doubling of length puts them at essentially the same spl at the seating position.  104db for the RA-8 vs. 105db for the LS-6. 

Can the RA-8 handle more than 100 watts if crossed at 80hz?  Obviously the LS-6 can, and obvioiusly the LS-6 will have greater dynamics and capable of greater output levels.  But is that room what you'd consider a large room, necesitating the array?  I'm leaning towards the array, and it's in his budget ... but that cuts into the available budget for building a subwoofer and amps. 

These are the fun decisions in life!

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2007, 03:40 am »
The SPL is close enough like you said between the RA8 and the LS6.
The RA8 will have better dispersion over the LS6 no comparison there.
Not only due to the ribbon but also only one tweeter were the LS6 uses a line.
With the Line array you have dispersion issues.This lose in dispersion does not matter what line array, but this RA8 is not a line array rather a array of drivers using the single tweeter.Which does not have the dispersion issues of line arrays.

Will the RA8 handle thew power? :scratch:
Well my neighbour who throws some good nights of music runs 125 watts into the RA8 so loud I will not even stay in the same room :lol:

The LS6 will have lower extention due to the drivers but the RA8 with the new XBL M-130X drivers in the outer 6 woofers will give the LS6 a good challenge in the low end.

Now crossing the RA8 over at 80 hz not needed.But if you are looking for a better match with a sub then yes cut the ports shorter and tune the RA8 up around 70hz and they will work great.

Now a sub?

We have been doing a lot of work with the SD12 driver both in a single driver design as well as twin 12" driver model.
Along with this we have tested the following amps.
Bash 300,Bash 500,350watt remoter control amp from Solen,LT1300 from ED.
All the testing was done with the SMS-1 from Velodyne.
What can I say.Well the SMS-1 is by far the best tool I have seen for the money for measuring subs as well as using the auto EQ or manual EQ settings of the SMS-1 for a sub.

Once the sub is set up correctly ,bass comes tight clean not muddy or boomy.What a difference.

Amps I will leave that for another thread if needed.But the LT1300 from ED is very very good for our twin 12" :green:
What I am getting at here is if you can get the SMS-1 for what ever sub you get.Well worth every penny.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2007, 04:42 am »
Noted on the SMS-1, and thanks for the nice reply. 

Absolute extension of the mains isn't a big concern cuz I'll be going nuts on the subs (customer wants BIG subs) ... minimum of 4 12's.  So I'd rather get more power handling and absolute SPL out of the mains and let the subs do their job.  I like the idea of the M-130x's for sheer power handling and SPL, but why not use them in the center MTM part? 

For amps I'll go plate amps for the subs, and build either GB150D or GB300D SKA modules for the mains.

Any idea how to do the math in figuring max possible SPL of the middle MTM section of a RA-8 using the ribbon and the two standard M-130's at their cross point?

Can you tell that for this project I want LOUD!  Hehe, I want the guy I'm building all this for to stumble backward a few steps the first time I turn it on, he thinks it can't be done in his big room.

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2007, 11:12 pm »
There is no way to calculate the spl from the MTM only.They don't have to play down low so the limiting factor
 is thermal and not mechanical.
He'll never be able to approach power handling problems without getting insane.

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2007, 04:07 am »
Last day  :green:

machine

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2007, 01:28 pm »
These are some awesome speakers and a smoking deal even at regular price.

Love that ribbon.  Initially worried it might be too harsh, but it is just perfect.

The M-130 from GR Research is no slouch either.  Six of these guys handling bass give these speakers some seriously clean slam.  There is even an upgrade option to the new M-130X with XBL^2 technology for even more slam!

These things do so many things right and play so clean - highly recommended!

RawB8figure

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2007, 08:59 pm »
is there a why I can get ride to the space below the bottom driver and maybe build it deeper to make up for internal volume.

RAW

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2007, 09:18 pm »
Yes you can make the array shorter but really the space below is to make the tweeter at the correct height.
Yes other than that if the tweeter hight is not a issue for you , you can make them shorter and then deaper.

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:49 am »
 aa
Well thanks to those who purchased RA8 kits for the March special.

Looks like we sold out all the M-130 drivers :lol: