James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 9984 times.

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« on: 18 Jul 2003, 11:00 pm »
Hi All,

I will do my best to provide accurate timely answers to any questions you may have on PMC and Bryston.

james

randytsuch

Re: James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:01 am »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi All,

I will do my best to provide accurate timely answers to any questions you may have on PMC and Bryston.

james


Um, so who are you?
I am not trying to be sarcastic (well, maybe a little), but I really was wondering who you are, and if you are associated with Bryston/PMC?

Randy

Thunder

Hey James, great to have you here
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:38 am »
Randy: James is head of sales and marketing at Bryston

James,
I'm enjoying the PMC XB2 sub I purchased from you. It blends really well with my IB1's. After much experimentation I found the best place for it my room. It's kind of an odd place that's hard to explain in few words, so I'll fill you in when we speak next.

I have one comment and question for you. In terms of the comment, I found a real difference in sound quality when I disconnected my Bryston PP 250's from the rear of my IB1's, and have have them sitting on custom stands behing the speakers. The quality improvement is significant in my view. As such, I'm not sure why Bryston would support the notion of having the PP's connected to the back of a speaker.

In terms of the question, I am wondering about ways to deal with room modes that produce to much energy between 105hz to 140hz? My room dimensions are 20.5' long X 16' wide X 87 inches high. I have positioned  my PMC IB1 mains, 6 ft from the front wall and 3.75' from the sidewall to try and deliver a relatively flat response. The primary seating position is about 7' from the rear wall. I have traps in the front corners, behind the screen and on the sidewall at the reflection points. Other than that, I have some diffussion on the ceiling and rear wall. Any advice would be appreciated?

Other question is, am I better to keep my center channel (IB1) where it is (under the screen, 12' from the listening position) or move it forward so that it is the same distance to the listening position as my mains(8.5' from listener)? My concerns are twofold: will my 2 channel imaging performance suffer with the center channel between them? I've heard from some that the time delays built into all processors are not very accurate which would mean I'm paying a reall price for having such a distance disparity in the front of the room for HT. BTW, my processor is the Bryston sp1.7.

Scott

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:56 am »
Quote from: randytsuch
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi All,

I will do my best to provide accurate timely answers to any questions you may have on PMC and Bryston.

james


Um, so who are you?
I am not trying to be sarcastic (well, maybe a little), but I really was wondering who you are, and if you are associated with Bryston/PMC?

Randy


Hi Randy,

I am Vice President and owner of Bryston Ltd.

James

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Hey James, great to have you here
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:03 am »
Quote from: Thunder
Randy: James is head of sales and marketing at Bryston

James,
I'm enjoying the PMC XB2 sub I purchased from you. It blends really well with my IB1's. After much experimentation I found the best place for it my room. It's kind of an odd place that's hard to explain in few words, so I'll fill you in when we speak next.

I have one comment and question for you. In terms of the comment, I found a real difference in sound quality when I disconnected my Bryston PP 250's from the rear of my IB1's, and have h ...


Hi Randy,

The PPacks were designed for mounting and usually the added weight of the PP on the rear panel assists in damping the back a little so the fact that you are getting better sound with them detached is a bit of a mystery. Did you use decoupling rubber gromets or feet when you mounted them?

james

Thunder

James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:16 am »
James, I used the rubber feet when attaching the PPacks to the rear of the speaker.

Scott

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:32 am »
Quote from: Thunder
James, I used the rubber feet when attaching the PPacks to the rear of the speaker.

Scott


Hi Scott,

Well the only thing I can think of then is that the particular resonance of the back panel of ther IB1 created by the PP being mounted (lower frequency do to the weight of the PP) is exagerating a particular resonse already present in your room.
There is not much of an issue with microphonics on the PP so I do not think that would be the issue.
But obviously your ears are the final arbitor so I will go with what you say sounds better in your particular setup.

james

Ron D

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 390
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2003, 01:39 am »
James - hows the production on the 14B-SST amps? I'm waiting for one and assume that staff vacation time is cutting into production run times?

I know, all good things come to those who wait...

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2003, 02:15 am »
Quote from: Ron D
James - hows the production on the 14B-SST amps? I'm waiting for one and assume that staff vacation time is cutting into production run times?

I know, all good things come to those who wait...


Hi Ron,

The 14B SST has been very popular but it should be available within a week of order.
What dealer did you order through - and when? I will check on it for you.\

james

Ron D

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 390
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2003, 05:05 am »
James - while I sincerely appreciate the offer I'll inquire with the dealer in question again before coming to you. I'd hate to jeopardize a relationship if he thought I was going over his head.

randytsuch

Re: James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2003, 07:37 am »
Quote from: James Tanner

Hi Randy,

I am Vice President and owner of Bryston Ltd.

James


Well, I guess that qualifies you to speak for Bryston  :wink: .

Since I have you attention, I'll tell you my PMC story.  A couple of years ago, I auditioned every good monitor that was $2k or less, that I could find in the LA area.  I read some good things about the PMC monitor, and I found a local place that had them.

Went to the place, and it turned out they were really a HT place.  They let me hear the PMC's, but they were less then one foot from the rear wall, pointed straight out with no toe in.  I think I asked it they could move them, but the speaker cables were too short to move them.  Set up for show and HT, not music.  They used a HT reciever to drive them, and some kind of cheap DVD player for the source.  The PMC's were also brand new, straight out of the box.

I gave them a chance, listened to a song or two, but under those circumstances, they did not sound very good.  I do wish I could have heard the PMC's in a proper environment.

Randy

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Hey James, great to have you here
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:34 pm »
Quote from: Thunder
Randy: James is head of sales and marketing at Bryston

James,
I'm enjoying the PMC XB2 sub I purchased from you. It blends really well with my IB1's. After much experimentation I found the best place for it my room. It's kind of an odd place that's hard to explain in few words, so I'll fill you in when we speak next.

I have one comment and question for you. In terms of the comment, I found a real difference in sound quality when I disconnected my Bryston PP 250's from the rear of my IB1's, and have h ...


Hi Scott,

Regarding your question on the placement of the center channel I agree that most processors are accurate within about a foot. In studio setups speakers are always equal distance from the listening position so that is what I recommend if possible. Having the center and L/R as close as possible in height also helps but like most people the center usually ends up under the screen. Try and get it as high as possible without blocking the screen and tilt it up towards the listening position. Remember the center will be further back than the left/right speakers because they will be on the same arc as the left and right. The reflection from the center is an issue if listening in stereo but the reflections/combfiltering coming from the center would be minimal because the off axis dispersion of the left and right speakers would be way down in energy by the time it hit the center channel.



james

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2003, 12:39 pm »
Quote from: randytsuch
Well, I guess that qualifies you to speak for Bryston  :wink: .

Since I have you attention, I'll tell you my PMC story.  A couple of years ago, I auditioned every good monitor that was $2k or less, that I could find in the LA area.  I read some good things about the PMC monitor, and I found a local place that had them.

Went to the place, and it turned out they were really a HT place.  They let me hear the PMC's, but they were less then one foot from the rear wall, pointed straight out with no toe in.  ...


Hi Randy,

Sorry to hear you had such a poor demo. Getting dealers to pay attention to the audio basics is difficult sometimes and HT typically is more focused on the visual sad to say.
Anyway hopefully you will get to hear a pair in a better environment sometime - they really are exceptional speakers.

james

John Casler

James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2003, 03:33 pm »
Hi James,

Welcome to the AudioCircle.  It is one of, if not "the best" forum of its type on the internet.   :D

Looks like this will turn into either a "Manufacturers Circle" or an "Owners Circle" for Bryston/PMC.  Thanks to Jethro and his efforts.

I am one of your newer dealers and this certainly is a great forum for your product.


I look forward to participating in some of the discussions, and being a new dealer I may have many questions myself.

I'm looking forward to hearing the PMC TB2.  Recently there have been several "shootouts" of speakers in the $1000-$2000 price range. (VMPS, ONIX, GR, Von Scheikert, etc)  I have a feeling if well set up, this speaker could be a contender. 8)

James Tanner

  • Facilitator
  • Posts: 17719
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2003, 01:58 pm »
Hi John,

Yes this is a first for me and hopefully I can help educate people about Bryston and PMC.
Thanks for taking on PMC - I know new speaker lines are hard to get off the ground - this one though is exceptional and it deserves all the support it can get.
You know I have been in this business for over 30 years and have heard a lot of speakers in those days but I have to say my first experience with PMC ( in a high quality recording studio in England) knocked me on my ass. Ever since that experience I have been a missionary for this speaker.
Anyway, thanks again - look forward to our discussions.

james











Quote from: John Casler
Hi James,

Welcome to the AudioCircle.  It is one of, if not "the best" forum of its type on the internet.   :D

Looks like this will turn into either a "Manufacturers Circle" or an "Owners Circle" for Bryston/PMC.  Thanks to Jethro and his efforts.

I am one of your newer dealers and this certainly is a great forum for your product.


I look forward to participating in some of the discussions, and being a new dealer I may have many questions myself.

I'm looking forward to hearing the PMC TB2.  ...

buns

  • Jr. Member
  • Posts: 6
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2003, 11:24 pm »
I have just put in an order for an sp1.7, so its great to see this forum and i look forward to participating!

Ad

John Casler

James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2003, 04:22 am »
Quote from: buns
I have just put in an order for an sp1.7, so its great to see this forum and i look forward to participating!

Ad


Good Choice.

To me the SP1.7 is one of, if not the, best choice in the Pre-Pro arena right now for those who also value 2 channel perfromance.

With what seems to be the best analog pass-through that I know of, it should make you very happy.

Let us know how it shapes up after you burn it in. :D

saneron67

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
Re: James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2003, 07:59 am »
Hi,

I have been thinking of adding 6BSST to my Denon 5803 to power up my Front L/R/C speakers. My speakers are Mirage M5si and Mirage center MCSi.

What do you think of this marriage with Mirage and do you think there will be an audible upgrade. My biggest concern is bass. Currently, I am not very satisfy about music listening. The bass is not tight and well defined.

I once add an Krell integrated amplifier and Krell cd player and my problems are gone. However, I would like to prefer bryston because of good reputatioan and warranty terms. Moreover, 6Bsst got fabulous reviews.

I appreciate very honest opinion from all users.

Thx

buns

  • Jr. Member
  • Posts: 6
James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2003, 04:49 pm »
Quote from: John Casler

Let us know how it shapes up after you burn it in. :D


If only i could burn it in sooner! :D The next 6 weeks are going to last forever!

Ad

John Casler

James Tanner from Bryston PMC on Board
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2003, 08:57 pm »
Quote
If only i could burn it in sooner! :D The next 6 weeks are going to last forever!


Actually I was a little "tongue in cheek" on the burn in.  

The SP1.7 and I believe "all" Bryston products receive a vigorous 100 hour "burn in" after QC check and testing.  This one of the reasons Bryston is so confident as to offer such an incredible warrantee.

ATB