shameless shill!

shep

Re: shameless shill!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Feb 2007, 03:48 pm »
Do it!  aa If you think I think these sound great with an underpowered T-amp, imagine how I will be crowing with some serious grunt into them! If you can hold off for a month or so, I will write a serious review, using the new improved Tripath with its tube front end. By that time they will have sorted out this shipping  (in the sense of being totally assured that they actually can pull off this feat) and I will have NO reservations shilling my heart out. I do wish more TL users would speak up and I could learn what makes this design so special, or not as the case may be/

ohenry

« Reply #21 on: 27 Feb 2007, 04:36 pm »
...I do wish more TL users would speak up and I could learn what makes this design so special, or not as the case may be/
Shep, here's my take on a TL:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=36852.0

So, I have spoken up, but unfortunately I can't tell you why it's so good. :scratch:  (BTW, that's a non-aggrevated head scratching icon) :)

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #22 on: 27 Feb 2007, 05:06 pm »
TL: When engineered correctly, performance wise from my listening no down sides at all, they work great, very very deep & well controlled bass w/ less room interaction/less modal effects.

Downsides: mass, quite difficult to properly engineer (esp difficult for mass-production, & mass production is where the profits lie), cost, & complexity.

That's why it's not more common.   

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 27 Feb 2007, 05:09 pm »
What is not to like about this reply from my people's homeland (on grandad's side)?  Drivers are 4" +  3/4".  First order series xo's are great when done right.  It's a neat system.  I see no reason why it wouldn't sound great.  Just bring a big amp, 150W+ of solid power seems reasonable.  The big bad Plinius 9200 integrated would rock, as would others.  Only consideration is bass power handling.  If you add a sub you could high-pass the Azumi's & be in business for big dynamic output.  I'll take black.

Dear James

Thank you for the compliments about my loudspeakers. We are working on a deal with a transportation company to ship our speakers worldwide. We are surprised by the succes ot the Azumi's, we are almost out of stock and hope to have new Azumi's in stock by the end of may. The new version will be improved with a nicer finish, 12 paint layers high gloss piano, same colors (except for black) The price in may will be 599,- euro including free worldwide shipping. 599.- euro roughly translates to 791 dollar. We are also working on payment with creditcards.

Is it ok if i put you on my english mailing list, i would like to keep you informed.

Kind regards
Roland Breteler

Some more info on the Azumi loudspeakers:

Dimensions h*b*d= 80* 15* 19 cm
Enclosure type: Floor coupled transmission line with Internal Helmholtz Resonator.
Mid/Bas: 10 cm paper cone with aluminium faseplug, rubber surround and die cast frame.
Tweeter: 19 mm non ferro textile softdome.
X over: 1 order serial.
Frequency: 4kHz.
Sensitivity: 85 db/ 2.83v/1m.
Frequency response -3db typical in room 40hz-22.000hz.
Impedance: 8 ohm.
Warranty: 5 years.
Colors: red, yellow, lime green, blue, black and white.

No transmisionline gap, a copper foil inductor and a Clarity Cap SA capacitor in the crossover. The 40hz is serious. It looks like a nice little speaker, looks can deceive. It has a very deep bass response and a very big soundstage. You can clearly hear differences in recordings/ amps/ cd players with these speakers.

shep

« Reply #24 on: 27 Feb 2007, 05:22 pm »
 :o they improved it already!? double-dutch :duh: Glad to see someone is paying attention! That was fast. They are really a pleasure to deal with. Young guys. What a great deal. That said, I also got mine free of shipping costs because I'm next door, so I can't really bitch about not getting the price hike or the 12 coats of paint to go with it. As long as they don't change anything else...not offering black any more is strange. I don't miss any bass but I could see where a sub, taking off a little higher, would releave that tiny driver and offer even more bottom end and mid range clarity.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 27 Feb 2007, 05:54 pm »
Shep, I misread it same as you.  Apparently they ADDED black, not removed it.

Yes, dittos what you said about the bass.

What is your guess of the actual sensitivity?  If their 85 dB rating is accurate, that's not far from other makers' 90 dB, which usuall turns out to be more like 87-88 dB, know what I mean?

In what country are you?

shep

« Reply #26 on: 28 Feb 2007, 01:10 am »
Shep, I misread it same as you.  Apparently they ADDED black, not removed it.

Yes, dittos what you said about the bass.

What is your guess of the actual sensitivity?  If their 85 dB rating is accurate, that's not far from other makers' 90 dB, which usuall turns out to be more like 87-88 dB, know what I mean?

In what country are you?
France :o I wouldn't hazard a guess about sens. but if you are right, that would explain why the wee Trends "Can Do!", (within reason) If anyone goes for this deal, and I hope you do (so I'm not alone aa) just a few points from my experience: I don't have to tell you this but I will anyway :scratch: they categorically need a long run-in time. Doing it the hard way that means 200 hours. There are less painful ways! They absolutely love occ solid core, à la Anti- Cable and others. If you have fancy pricey wires, by all means try them. If you don't, save time, money and head-ache. This is premature for sure but might as well put it out anyway; room placement is dead easy Buy I've done it for you. On the long wall mine are about 10' apart. Distance from the rear w. is fairly strict. (My wall is rough stone) 12 to 20 inches. Less and the bass begins to lose body and form and the sound stage starts to collapse and go 2d.
Too much out in the room gives an airy feel but again the bass is the loser and the sound staged gets too ethereal, starts wavering and the sweet spot harder to lock into. Toe-in is a matter of taste. Mine are showing the inside flank of the speakers, I would say 5 degrees. The sweet spot should be two people wide, the image height very convincing and everthing should be firmly anchored in space. The only criticism I have is depth, but there are too many variables at work to be sure, like room, amp, source.