SETs, anyone?

alotaklipsch

Re: SETs, anyone?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2007, 06:03 am »
Wavelength Cardinal custom's, Mactone MA300B-which replaced lamm ML2 :drool:Custom built horns

SET Man

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2007, 06:24 am »
Hey!

Did somebody say SET? aa Well, from my screen name here I'm sure you know that I like and own SET amp for sure :lol:

Anyway, I've been using these beauties since 1999. They are a pair of Welborne Lab "Apollo"

They were designed to be use with the higher power KR Audio triode tube. And use Electraprint out put transformer. With Elna caps in the PSU, Jensen PIO Copper for signal and Caddock resistors. Currently have KR Audio 842VHD tubes in them right now with 6EA7 front putting out about 18 watts per channel.... quite high for SET world  :wink:

They were sold as kit and as assembled one for a while. They were one of the most expensive SET kit back than... and maybe even by today standard. :? Not many were sold I think. So, with that there aren't many around out there. I got my as kit and love them since the first time I turned them on. Well, I just celebrated 7th aniversary with them this past December 2006 :inlove:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2007, 07:51 am »
Have used ASL Explorer 805s initially with Quad 989s, then the new, vertical ASL AQ1006(845)s in my DIY, LA, OB, 97dB-sensitive speakers.

Have just retired those in favor of a pair of Roger Modjeski's stereo, 2.5WPC SET, the EM7 amp, one amp per speaker.  The system sounds REALLY good.  :-)

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2007, 08:14 am »
Yet another Yamamoto A-08S with Emission Labs solid-plate 45s on Zu Definition Pros (front), with dual bridged Audio Sector Patek SEs on the rears. For my new WLM Diva Monitors with WLM Duo 12 sub, the Yammy's 2 watts can't get it up. There the 18wpc Melody Valve HiFi I2A3 integrated with 2A3s in push-pull and 4 x 6Sn7s and 1 x 101D is the hammer, especially since the Duo Sub crosses in at 80Hz and handles the bass with a bridged monster pro amp.

The next adventure on the horizon is the WLM Grand Viola Monitor Signature which will allow full-on active tri-amping with external crossovers. There I'm thinking Yamamoto or FirstWatt F3 on top, Melody in the middle, Alto's new Class D monster on the sub. That could be a sweet albeit not exactly simple setup. We'll see.

Another tube amp that's got big potential written all over it is the new Supratek Malbec. No, it's not single-ended but the designer Mick Maloney favors SETs. He wanted to design a push/pull amp that could drive real speakers but sound like a SET. Has he pulled it off? No idea but thus far, he hasn't been one to talk crap about what his stuff can do so this could be one to watch. Not insane coin either, $3K in standard trim for the pair... and he's driving big Harbeths from its 50 watts...

If any early Malbec owners read this, chime in. We wanna know :icon_lol:

zeke

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2007, 11:55 am »
rollo -----------  thanx for the tip on the Mundorf caps ---- i may try those

the kit1 sounds pretty good though with the black gate caps and tkd attenuator upgrades ........

zeke

lcrim

« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2007, 01:47 pm »
I have two low bucks SET based sysstems.  The details are in my signature but short version: Livingroom-Eastern Electric Minimax preamp (tube rolled nightly) to Roger Modjeski 13EM7 amp driving Omega Compact Hemps (96 dB) and a single old HT sub (Adire Rava) w/ vinyl frontend, SqueezeBox for Redbook to SN TubeDac+, also have my directv receiver sound through the SN, and an old modded Tosh 3950 for DVD video.
In the bedroom-old model Decware Select driving Parker Audio Model 95 MK II/Monitor Audio ASW110 sub with a vinyl frontend, rarely used Arcam DV78 for Redbook and DVD video.
While the cost per component is very reasonable now, I spent quite a bit making mistakes and hitting dead ends to get here.

BobRex

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2007, 05:07 pm »
I'm using Wellborne Moondogs (2A3) running the mid and highs of VMPS RM30Ms.  I use the plate amp for the woofer section - below 280 Hz.  The amps are the "Ultimate" versions and include Black Gates in the power supply, Jensen PIOs for signal, Caddock resistors....  Tubes are Mullard GZ37, Sylvania VT-231s, and EML mesh plates. 

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 25 Feb 2007, 06:02 pm »
lcrim: "While the cost per component is very reasonable now, I spent quite a bit making mistakes and hitting dead ends to get here."

Indeed.  The cost of my current system decreased when the AQ1006(845)s were replaced by the pair of Music Reference EM7s (the new name, BTW), but I'd hate to even think about how much money I've spent in maybe-45 years of being an audiofool.  But all that is an important part of my life, and it's very rewarding.

Whitese

« Reply #28 on: 25 Feb 2007, 06:43 pm »
I see some people are using the RM EM7 little amps....Can someone tell me whats the deal about the 100Hz filter? is that so it doesnt reproduce any power robbing bass?

Are you guys running them full freq spectrum? and how are they in mono?

TONEPUB

« Reply #29 on: 25 Feb 2007, 06:58 pm »
Jeffrey:

Cant wait to hear that system next time Im in phx!

Good to see how many variations on the theme we have here...

F-100

« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2007, 07:03 pm »
Wardsweb,
  This is the best looking amp that I've ever seen. Did you built the case yourself?

:drool: :drool: :drool:

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2007, 07:22 pm »
Well I am not in the club yet...but I am contemplating building an 813 based SET amp.  I have the 813's, just haven't committed to which design I want to try.  I have quite a few sketches of different ways of doing it.   But I will build my 6C33C PP amp first as I have the parts and design already.

Dmason

« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2007, 08:50 pm »
The "deal" with the 100Hz input on the Music Reference EM7 was to address the wishes of people who would be using wideband, high sensitivity drivers both in horns, and on open baffles, who didnt want to waste the amp's output on signal below that amount; (1/2 of an amp's power output is contributed to signal <120Hz) freed of that, the Roger amp is a right little monster. Jeff I am glad you are enjoying yours enuff to add another. Mine is going back in favor of the updated unit with secondary taps. It's worth it to me. And no noise, no hum, no 2A3.

The sound of Roger's amp with Louis' Hemp speakers is one of the most listenable, music-friendly set ups one could hope for.

Whitese

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2007, 09:42 pm »
would that little amp be enough even with the 100Hz filter removed to power Edgarhorns or some vintage EV12trxb's?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2007, 09:48 pm »
would that little amp be enough even with the 100Hz filter removed to power Edgarhorns or some vintage EV12trxb's?

The amp has 2 sets of outputs, one fullrange and the other high passed at 100hz.
From Roger's site "conservatively rated at 2.5 watts".

Hope this helps,
Lin :D

Wardsweb

« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2007, 09:50 pm »
Wardsweb,
  This is the best looking amp that I've ever seen. Did you built the case yourself?

:drool: :drool: :drool:
Yes the design and execution is mine, while the kit is a Bottlhead 6DN7 amp. I took the stock alder wood base and glued it together as usual. I then made several passes on my table saw to cut the grooves in all sides. I then emailed a friend who does CAD design a drawing of the "outriggers." He created the CNC file I took to my local plastics shop, who cut them out of plexiglass. I machined the aluminum spaces on a metal lathe out of 2024 T351 aluminum billet bar. The spikes I bought online at, of all places, studsandspikes.com.  The top chassis is triple chrome plated and the transformers glazed with automotive filler, sanded and painted to match the base. Esthetics are very important to me. It must not only sound good, it has to look good. It's all part of being obsessive.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 26 Feb 2007, 06:05 am »
Jeffrey:

Cant wait to hear that system next time Im in phx!

Good to see how many variations on the theme we have here...

Just let me know and you will.  :-)

Tish

« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2007, 05:32 pm »
Hi all!     I'am using two Decware SE84C-S's, series strapped in mono mode for the tweeters on my Reference3A MM DeCapo's, And a Decware 34SEI.2 on the woofers. The extreem low bass is handled by a pair of TBI magellinVI subs.    Tish

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2007, 07:31 pm »
Main system amps are a pair of homebuilt Svetlana SV811-10 SET monos, built from plans in Vacuum Tube Valley. 6EM7 drivers.

Used to have them running Klipsch Forte II's, going the single driver route over the summer with Fostex FE168EZ's...

Oh, and they make good night lights as well  :P

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2007, 10:07 pm »
I've always liked the look of the Wyetech Topaz.
Maybe I'll check it out someday.
It sure looks special, in a good way I think.

It's great that it can cruise at 18 watts and chuck out 50w in pulses.
I'd have to find a speaker that would match.

I'm to much of a bass lover still, but if I could find a speaker that would work, i'd give it some
serious thought. 12 large is a lot of money for just 18watts I think.  :drool:

Imperial