The digital source journey has ended

Bingenito

Re: The digital source journey has ended
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2007, 01:47 am »
I hear you about screwing up a good sounding system...however, it can work when done correctly.  I just came back from a four hour listening session at my friend's house and his "new" system was not only better than his excellent last one, it was one of the best systems I have ever had the privilege of hearing!!

I'll stop there so I don't hijack this thread.

His system looks awesome so I am not surprised. I want details the next time we talk... :drool:

Bingenito

« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2007, 01:53 am »
Who told you the DV50's jitter problem couldn't be corrected?

Haven't heard the Sim Eclipse and didn't know it cost $8K.

The April Music CDT200 can be upgraded to outperform a modified SB.

If I was looking for convenience & sound quality, I would have gone the extra expensive for a modified Transporter
rather put $2300. into a SB3.

I think that we are way off topic here but... I know that RAM does DV50 mods so I inquired with someone that is very experienced and he advised against it. I would prefer not to mention names in public.

RE: April Music outperforming the SB3. Unless you have heard both in the same system this would be an assumption that has not been validated.
RE: Transporter. I had one and it was returned to Slim Devices. Again I will not go into that in public.

I have heard all of the gear mentioned in the same system and stand behind my decision to go with the modded SB3. It is not just a little better then the other sources. These are not assumptions based on what I read or some review.

jhm731

« Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2007, 02:13 am »

If I was looking for convenience & sound quality, I would have gone the extra expensive for a modified Transporter

I think that we are way off topic here but... I know that RAM does DV50 mods so I inquired with someone that is very experienced and he advised against it. I would prefer not to mention names in public.

RE: April Music outperforming the SB3. Unless you have heard both in the same system this would be an assumption that has not been validated.
RE: Transporter. I had one and it was returned to Slim Devices. Again I will not go into that in public.

I have heard all of the gear mentioned in the same system and stand behind my decision to go with the modded SB3. It is not just a little better then the other sources. These are not assumptions based on what I read or some review.

Since you haven't heard a modified April Music transport, it's an assumption on your part that it wouldn't outperform a modified SB3.

Too bad you didn't try a modified Transporter before you invested $2300. in your SB3 rig. 8)

Bingenito

« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 2007, 02:28 am »
Since you haven't heard a modified April Music transport, it's an assumption on your part that it wouldn't outperform a modified SB3.

Too bad you didn't try a modified Transporter before you invested $2300. in your SB3 rig.

I have no interest in transports or the Transporter. No regret! Been there and done that.

If you do not want an SB3 just do not buy one. I am certainly not trying to convince anyone to buy one. I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak. Just sharing my personal findings.

Since I have been able to do a/b tests in my system I know a little more about this stuff than most and am extremely satisified with my decision. Has anyone else done direct a/b tests with the digital out of a transporter vs. SB3? Hint you can sync using slim server and toggle inputs on the dac for no loss in switching sources. Maybe this is why I am not spending money on a modded Transporter??? Hmmm I think that might have something to do with it :scratch:  :wink:

It is good to have differences of opinion.

If we all liked the same stuff I would be out shopping for a yellow lab I guess. So thank you for sharing your assumptions.
 :P :thumb:

Thank you!

Bryan

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2007, 02:36 am »
What is it about FLAC that you find sonically worse than wav?  They are lossless, so I would have guessed it to be equivalent.  Are you saying Flac-> wav sounds better than Flac->Flac?  Or are you saying you decompress to wav even before Slimserver (huge files)?

I go .wav to .wav so there is no conversion. The files are huge but I have the drive space and network performance so it works! I find that .wav sounds a little more refined and open. Probably more to do with the lack of coversion then the format itself.

Bryan,

I am with you about FLAC vs. WAV.  Congratulations on the newly modded SB3, and thanks for sharing with us your impressions.

Bingenito

« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2007, 02:41 am »
I am with you about FLAC vs. WAV.  Congratulations on the newly modded SB3, and thanks for sharing with us your impressions.

Glad to hear that I am not loosing my mind!

Thanks Paul

Bryan

JDUBS

« Reply #26 on: 20 Feb 2007, 02:50 am »

Too bad you didn't try a modified Transporter before you invested $2300. in your SB3 rig. 8)

There have been a number of people that have voiced their preference for a highly modded SB3 to a Transporter.

-Jim

tonyptony

« Reply #27 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:09 am »
What is it about FLAC that you find sonically worse than wav?  They are lossless, so I would have guessed it to be equivalent.  Are you saying Flac-> wav sounds better than Flac->Flac?  Or are you saying you decompress to wav even before Slimserver (huge files)?

I go .wav to .wav so there is no conversion. The files are huge but I have the drive space and network performance so it works! I find that .wav sounds a little more refined and open. Probably more to do with the lack of coversion then the format itself.

Bingenito, let me ask ted_b's question a bit differently: are you saying that now you can hear a difference between flac->flac versus wav->wav?

Bingenito

« Reply #28 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:14 am »
Good question.

I can hear a difference there but that is more slight then .wma lossless to .wav vs. .wav-.wav. Slimserver does not support .wma lossless but it does directly support .wma lossy for some reason... who knows  :scratch:

DSK

« Reply #29 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:57 am »

Glad to hear that I am not loosing my mind!

Thanks Paul

Bryan
Bryan & Paul,

Given that the FLAC format is lossless, it is more likely (as you suggested) that any perceived difference is due to the on-the-fly conversion rather than the different formats. Have you A/B'd a FLAC file decompressed on-the-fly on the PC versus decompressed on-the-fly by the SqueezeBox? Any perceived differences?

Bingenito

« Reply #30 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:02 am »
Bryan & Paul,

Given that the FLAC format is lossless, it is more likely (as you suggested) that any perceived difference is due to the on-the-fly conversion rather than the different formats. Have you A/B'd a FLAC file decompressed on-the-fly on the PC versus decompressed on-the-fly by the SqueezeBox? Any perceived differences?

I have not done this but I assume that we are onto something with the conversion (when it occurs and how well it is handled by the software- Slim Server). The differences are not huge so no one panic  :o

Wayne1

« Reply #31 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:08 pm »
Bryan,

Thank you for your very kind comments about the modded SB3 and power supply.

While 125 -200 hours of use will give you a good idea of what the combo will sound like, it will continue to change in sound for up to 600 hours of use.

I have to agree with you that the combo you have is one of the most "vinyl-like" front ends I have had the pleasure to hear.

The analog outs with Gold Bybees is even more in that direction. I understand your desire to use all balanced connections in your system.

Give me a few more months, and I may be able to offer that for the SB analog mods.  :wink:

mr_bill

« Reply #32 on: 22 Feb 2007, 06:30 pm »
Bryan,

Thank you for your very kind comments about the modded SB3 and power supply.

While 125 -200 hours of use will give you a good idea of what the combo will sound like, it will continue to change in sound for up to 600 hours of use.

I have to agree with you that the combo you have is one of the most "vinyl-like" front ends I have had the pleasure to hear.

The analog outs with Gold Bybees is even more in that direction. I understand your desire to use all balanced connections in your system.

Give me a few more months, and I may be able to offer that for the SB analog mods.  :wink:

Wayne,
I see the wink, but is their a possibility of getting a balanced output on the SB3?
I would be interested,
Bill

Wayne1

« Reply #33 on: 27 Feb 2007, 12:26 am »
Bill,

There is no room to add balanced outs to the SB3 in it's present form.

Four Burson Buffer modules can output balanced signals. The DAC in the SB3 is single ended. There would have to be a transformer to change the single ended to balanced and then feed the Buffer modules. It can be done, it just would be VERY expensive  :icon_twisted:

Bingenito

« Reply #34 on: 9 Mar 2007, 03:43 am »
The Digital modded SB3 and Ult MKII did continue to get better. It has been playing music non-stop since 2/08/07.

I just got done with a 4 hour listening session and it was unreal. Congratulations to Wayne on an outstanding product. This was certainly money well spent.