Slimdevice Transport and DEQX question

yooper

Slimdevice Transport and DEQX question
« on: 17 Feb 2007, 04:59 pm »
I run my Transporter balanced into my Anthem AVM 50.  With 2 channel direct, this does bypass the AVM 50 while feeding an Anthem MCA 50 amp.

I have recently added room treatment and am considering adding a DEQX 2496, and am still attempting to educate myself before I purchase.

I do have 3 way speakers (SALK HT3's).

My concern/question is, I don't want to lose the use of the DAC in the Transporter, and don't understand if adding a DEQX will still alllow me to continue to use the Transporter's DAC?  The DAC was the deciding factor when spending $2000.00 for the Transporter.

I'm simply looking for room correction.

Since I'm using a Transporter/computer, I know another option is to run room correction through this Transporter/computer.  However, I use an Intel Mac Mini and I'm not aware of a viable option.  I don't want to boot into windows to use the Slimdevice software since I often use the Mac when listening to two channel music.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Mark

Loftprojection

Re: Slimdevice Transport and DEQX question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2007, 01:24 am »
Why not try the Ingus plugin with your transporter first?  No cost, and you continue to use your DAC.

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2007, 02:47 am »

I think the Inguz plug-in is PC only.  No good for mac users.

Chad

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2007, 03:17 am »
Get a TacT preamp/dac for your room correction needs.

A well respected AC member is selling his:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=37032.0

I used a modified TacT as my preamp/dac/room correction device with Salk HT3's and achieved tremendous results. 

I only sold my TacT when I switched to Vandersteen 5A's (they have 11 band eq built into their powered subwoofer section).

George

HChi

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2007, 06:29 am »
As far as I know the room correction of DEQX or Tact is done in the digital domain.  Therefore, there are two means of achieving this with Transporter:

1. Connect to DEQX or Tact using the analogue output of Transporter.  In this case, the AK4396 DAC 'flavor' you like would be retained. However, the signal will need to be converted back to digital in the A/D section of DEQX or Tact for the room correction to take place.   Assuming you are using analogue amps, the signal would then be converted back to analogue once more.   The signal flow will be D/A(Transporter) -> A/D (DEQX/Tact) -> Room Correction -> D/A (DEQX/Tact) -> Amp(s).  As we know more steps of conversion would likely lead to greater risk of signal degradation.  If your amp has digital input, then the last D/A step would be omitted.

2. Connect to DEQX or Tact using digital output of Transporter.  As you are also aware, the AK4396 would be of no use here.  The signal travels from Transporter  -> DEQX/Tact for room correction -> D/A (DEQX/Tact) -> analogue amp(s).

Step 2 seems to be the 'cleaner' approach. However, you may still need to try them out in order to find your preference.   I don't know whether there are any computer based solutions that can rival the room correction algorithm in  DEQX or Tact.  If so, I would like to know about it also.

Good luck!

Howard

Hipper

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2007, 10:42 am »
Firstly I should say that I don't use a Slim Device Transporter or a DEQX!

I use a Behringer DEQ2496 digital equalizer, stationed between seperate CD transport and DAC (it has an ADC and DAC but I don't use these in this set up).

Looking up information on your Transporter at the link

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7060

I read that it has a digital out 'for delivering pure digital to another DAC or processor'.

Additionally, it has a digital in 'to allow people to use the built-in DAC with other digital sources'.

If I undertsand this correctly, you can therefore place your digital equalizer between your Transporters music source and its DAC (apologies if I've got this wrong!).

If you need convincing about what a digital equalizer can do for you, why not buy a Behringer (this, plus microphone, microphone stand and cable should cost around $400) and experiment.

I did just that, and now I consider the Behringer the key part of my system. I haven't tried the Tact or DEQX, but at ten times the price, I will need a lot of convincing that any improvements would justify the price difference.

In my view (or hearing I should say) room treatment and a digital equalizer are the ways forward for the best sound.

DonnieW

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2007, 11:29 pm »

If I undertsand this correctly, you can therefore place your digital equalizer between your Transporters music source and its DAC (apologies if I've got this wrong!).

This is actually not possible in this guys case.  His "music source" is his computer which connects to the Transporter via Ethernet.  Therefore he cannot connect any form of conventional EQ in between the computer and Transporter.

Although this post is a few weeks old I'll comment for information sake.  In this case, the balanced outputs of the Transporter would go to the balanced inputs of the EQ.  The balanced outputs from the EQ would go to the balanced inputs on the AVM 50 and from there outut via balanced to the amp. 

The DEQ2496 DOES it EQ in the digital world so in effect it is doing AD/DA conversions.  This is one reason why Transporter owners REALLY want a digital loop on the Transporter.  That would allow a completely digital EQ and analog output.

yooper

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2007, 09:49 pm »
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. 

DonnieW,

Have you heard if in the future theTransporter has the ability to do what you mention, can this be accomplished with a software update, or would new hardware (the next Transporter) be required?

DonnieW

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2007, 01:22 am »
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. 

DonnieW,

Have you heard if in the future theTransporter has the ability to do what you mention, can this be accomplished with a software update, or would new hardware (the next Transporter) be required?

If anyone is saying, it would be said on their forum:  http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

kyrill

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2007, 07:50 am »
There is a BIG difference betwen DEC2496 and DEQX

DEQX:

DEQ 2496:

DEQ2496 does not do phase correction or does have linear x-over filters of max 300db

wikin

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2007, 09:12 am »
Here's how to beat the DEQX with the Behringer in terms of value for money:
1) Use AES/EBU digital output from digital source
2) Connect to DEQ2496
3) Use AES/EBU from DEQ to DCX
4) Modify the DCX analog output stage to bypass opamps
5) Get a 6 channel preamp. Or better still wait for Jan Didden's latest creation which will incorporate digital volume control in the DCX.

The DCX does active x-over and auto alignment for drivers
The DEQ does auto room correction.

cheers.