Akfest 07'

chadh

Re: Akfest 07'
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2007, 02:20 am »

Ted,

Alas, I missed the David Michael room (I'm not sure why - I guess I wasn't that motivated to be super thorough).  Now I'm disappointed. 

I agree with you about the Mac rooms.  I didn't find either very inspiring.  The IDS speakers were the first line arrays I'd ever heard, and they really confused me.  The other guy listening to them with me kept saying "Wow", and the salesguy kept commenting that that was what everybody seemed to be saying.  I thought they did some things really well, but couldn't have listened to them for very long at all.

And the escalantes were pretty forgettable, too.  To my ears they weren't bad - just nothing very special.

The other speakers I heard that were worthy of note were the Cain and Cain "Walls of sound".  These were played through tubed gear from Melody (a 300B integrated amp, I think, and CDP).  I think the walls of sound produced a bigger, denser soundstage than my Omega Super 3 XRSs, but they didn't leave me thinking they were a big step up from what I have in my own home.  They do look pretty, though!

Chad

Toka

« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2007, 02:51 pm »
Keep the comments coming! Though it twists the knife of jealously I'm loving all the input so far.

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2007, 09:16 pm »
I had a great time again at the fest.  I wish I would have meat more ACer's there.  I forgot about the 1:00 thing in the Salk room.  At lunch I was seated with a gentleman and I mentioned audiocircle.  He proceeded to tell me "oh yeah, I was banned from there."   :o  Nice fella, he just doesn't like clever clocks and audio pebbles and voices his opinion.  :|

It is interesting how a recording can make or break a room if you are not in the sweet spot or don't hang in the room long enough to listen to different songs.  The large line array of 3" drivers w/eq (IDS) was one example.  It hurt my ears the first time I was in the room.  Later, I listened to a few cuts and had a totally different result.  My first real listen to a line array.

The Manley room was great.  They had a good sounding room last year as well.  Same speakers I believe.

Rick Craig's room was great.  If I didn't already have Salks I would probably be looking at Rick's speakers.  It was nice to meet Rick after all these years of reading about his work.

The McIntosh room didn't do it for me this year.  Great gear tho.  I'm sure it would have done much better in my room.  :lol:

I too found most systems set up on the long wall didn't image/stage correctly (except those tall line arrays).  I felt that the speakers were typically to far apart.  The stage was either way left, center or way right with no blending in between.

I got to meet Frank Van Alstine.  Nice fella and the room sounded good too  :thumb:
Franks electronics were powering a pair of KLH  ? panel speakers from long ago.  Man those sounded good on the cuts I listened to.

I'm sure I forgot a room or two, but that's if for now.

Bummers at the show:
Hotel sucked the big one!!
Not writing down the new music I heard  :duh:

Toka

« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2007, 09:51 pm »
The AVA gear wasn't in the Salk room? Or did Frank have two setups?

nicksgem10s

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2007, 11:01 pm »
This was my 2nd year attending AKfest and also my 2nd audio show.  This time I had a lot better time as I went with an audio buddy and got to see a couple of people I met over the last year so I knew a few friendly faces.

I mainly went because I wanted to hear the Salk Sound speakers and I also was interested in seeing the offerings from Selah Audio as well as AVA.  I had a good time the previous year in the David Michael Audio room so I was sure to put that on my must hear list.  There were more rooms this year and I thought the sound quality was much better overall than the past year.

These are just my opinions and are not meant as anything other than that.

We first registered and got our nametags and took a list of the room offerings. 

One of the first room was the Mcintosh room with the huge prototype line arrays, music server, and huge monoblocks playing Diana Krall.  I thought it looked awesome and sounded okay.  If I would have known the system retailed for $250k I would have taken back the okay and said forget it.  That is crazy when you compare the performance to some of the other companies that had products at the show.  I guess if you want everything to have that pleasant blue glow and have speakers bigger than you are it is just the ticket.  The guys in the room from Mcintosh were really nice but we didn't stick around too long.

Next up was the Manley room with the Mahi Mahi monoblock amps paired with the Manley Stingray and CEC cd player driving some System Audio speakers ($4k).  The sound was really suprising to me because the bass was thunderous but well controlled.  I was shocked and actually looking in the room for a subwoofer.  There was no sub playing in the system.  Those System Audio speakers really rocked on a variety of music and were pretty impressive overall.  The Manley people were really friendly and let me play a couple songs I had brought along with me.

Next was the #1 reason I went to the show Salk Sound speakers & Audio by Van Alstine electronics.  This system was comprised of the following:  AVA Ultra SL Hybrid Preamp, AVA Fet valve ultra 550, AVA Ultra DAC being fed by Squeezebox, & Salk Sound HT3 speakers.  The first thing I did was take a good look at the speakers as I have seen so many nice photos over the last couple years :o on AC.  The photos don't even do the speakers justice.  We had a seat in the sweet spot which seemed fairly wide in this room and began listening to parts of several different songs.  About 10 seconds into the first track my buddy & I turned to look at each other with ear to ear grins.  It didn't take long for me to realize how special this sound was.  I also had the chance to get to meet and talk to Jim Salk who was just as nice as he could be.  Frank Van Alstine and his employee (can't remember his name) were also chatting with other guests and having a great time.  My friend called another guy he knew at the show to tell him to make sure he had a chance to visit the Salk/AVA room.

After that I went in Selah Audio and had a chance to meet Rick Craig.  He was a really nice guy and let me play my Ben Taylor Band cd that I brought along.  Track 1 on the cd sounded really sweet on his system which was comprised of a Belles power amp, Cayin tube preamp ($1500), Music Hall cd player, Selah Audio Peridot speakers, and budget cables.  I think his speakers overloaded the room with a little bit too much bass energy.  I believe in another setting these speakers would sound even better.  They did sound incredible and his attention to detail in his design and woodworking was absolutely first class.  I would recommend that anyone who has a chance to hear Selah's speakers do so as they are an incredible value and at home in any system regardless of price.  The fact that he is confident enough in his design to use very inexpensive interconnects and speaker cables just goes to show you the level of quality his speakers reach.  I walked away very impressed.

The only other room that I had planned on going to was David Michael Audio who is a local retailer of many solid brands such as Harbeth, Belles, Rega, Cayin, Acoustic Solid, etc.  I didn't get to spend as much time in this room as I would have liked to but I did get to hear some really nice music on one of Rega's new cd players along with Belles amp & preamp paired with a Consonance turntable playing on the Harbeth speakers.  It was a really balanced sound that I enjoyed.  David & Paul are two of the nicest guys I have met in and around audio.

The other room I have to write a little bit about is Arthur's Audio.  I purchased RRL record cleaning fluid from Jeff of Arthur's Audio a couple of years ago when I first bought a Nottingham Spacedeck.  In this room they had a nice pair of electrostat speakers hooked up when we walked in.  I reintroduced myself to Jeff and asked him about the Usher speakers they had on display.  They went ahead and hooked up the stand mounted monitors the X-718(I believe) ($1300) to their 450 watt VTL tube monoblocks, CAT preamp, Musical Fidelity DAC, & Wireworld cables.  These monitors sounded great.  They would have sounded great at two or three times their price.  They disappeared instantly and had a great balanced sound from top to bottom.  My friend asked Jeff when they were going to hook up the larger Usher CP-6381.  Jeff & his friend(can't remember but really friendly guy) moved the monitors out of the way and connected the CP-6381.  I was not prepared for these speakers.  I have heard mostly really great things about Usher speakers in the past so I had pretty high expectations.  They exceeded all my expectations for them and at a price of $3400 with killer looks to boot.  These are a steal and just a very solid speaker made in Taiwan.  My friend was corrected when he mentioned them being made in China.  I don't know how many people would use similar associated equipment to drive them but they showed they are beyond a value and can compete with so many speakers at or above their price point.  The dynamics they produced on a drum track that was played was absolutely startling and I have heard some really killer systems. 

One thing I have a problem with is getting an idea of how the different systems compare.  It is obviously best to hear equipment in your room with your other equipment when possible.  I was really impressed with both the Salk Sound & Selah Audio speakers.   When you take into account the price of the associated equipment being used with them they were the best sound going.  That isn't to say Audio by Van Alstine, Belles, Cayin, Music Hall, etc make cheap gear, they do not.  What AVA and the other companies make is equipment with a real world pricetag that I could actually see myself using in the future.  I don't forsee any $15k tube monoblocks or a $5-10k preamp on my Sanus rack.  To me the equipment that was used in some of the system makes it hard to judge.  I do believe that you can get a general feel for the sound of speakers and equipment at least enough to know what you find interesting.

I will end on this note.  I only made a second trip back to one room........Salk Sound  8)& Audio by Van Alstine.

This was a great time and it opened my eyes to some other incredible options that are available.  I wouldn't know about companies like Salk Sound, Selah Audio, or Audio by Van Alstine if it weren't for AudioCircle so THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE!  :thumb:

Nick

chadh

« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2007, 12:52 am »

Hey Nick.  How weird.  I think I followed you around to half the rooms on Sunday!

I'm certain I walked into the Manley room just after you, and listened to some of your Ben Taylor there (I was sitting on the floor, next to the couch).  And I walked into the Arthur Audio room soon after you as well, and very happy when you guys asked for the usher floorstanders to be switched on.  That Muddy Waters disc sounded great!

Glad you enjoyed your time there.

Chad

nicksgem10s

« Reply #26 on: 27 Mar 2007, 09:55 pm »
Hi Chad,

I do remember you from the show at the Manley room.  It is a small world.  I wish I would have had an AC shirt on or something to display AC so we could have talked. 

Congrats on the Amp.  I felt pretty lucky having almost left without checking the winning numbers to find out I had won a brand new sealed Grado black cartridge.  It will be put to good use in my stepbrother's system.  It should be an upgrade from the cartridge that came with his Music Hall turntable. 

It was a great time.  That is funny we were in the same rooms at the same time because I do remember hearing the Muddy Waters with you in the Arthur's Audio room.  It was a great experience even if the show conditions aren't perfect.  Some of the sound came close to perfection in my eyes or as close as I would like it to be.  That is really cool that you won that amp.  I hope you listen to it and really enjoy it.  If not then someone else will be sure to enjoy it.

:thumb:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2007, 11:57 pm »
We were in two rooms.  The Salk room driving their three way floor standing HT3s with our hybrid equipment: Ultra DAC, Ultra SL preamp, and Fet Valve Ultra 550 amplifier.

We were also in the Cosmos room next door.  Dan had his original amp burn up I understand, so we loaned him our back up equipment, an Ultra DAC, Transcendence Eight vacuum tube preamp, and Fet Valve Ultra 550 amp for the show, driving paralleled sets of restored KLH 9 full range electrostatic speakers.  What an interesting and happy wall of sound this made!

Regarding the sound from the Salk HT3s on display, well, I bought this magnificent set of speakers and they are now in my living room AV system.  Enough said.   :D

Frank Van Alstine

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2007, 11:49 pm »
I appreciated the opportunity to meet several AC members and thanks for your positive comments on the sound in our room. Like most hotels the acoustics weren't ideal; however, the GIK panels we borrowed certainly helped.

I also want to thank Madisound and David Michael Audio for supplying us with front end equipment to use. Both systems performed well for us and are available at prices that most audiophiles can afford. The AK staff also did a great job and we met many new friends.

Rick Craig
Selah Audio

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #29 on: 29 Mar 2007, 07:25 am »
Checking out the Gallery.....nice collection of Akfest photo's by krikor...... 8)  :beer:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #30 on: 29 Mar 2007, 11:48 am »
Krikor,
Great pix at the AKFest.  Thanks!  They really capture what we saw there. 

BTW, in the High Water room, I believe those arms on the TW-Raven AC turntable are Dynavector's own DV-507's.  Supposedly a very easy setup, despite the looks.
http://www.dynavector.co.jp/english/frame_cart/etonearm.html

carusoracer

« Reply #31 on: 29 Mar 2007, 07:31 pm »
Little late in the posting but....

I would certainly attend the show again now that I can find the hotel! Made the trip from OH in the rain and was greeted to good sound and great audio people :D Interesting deal in the elevators. I choose the stairs up and down, 12 flights, after my first and last ride :o

I enjoyed all of the rooms. It gave my wife and friend a good idea of what other companies offer and at what prices in a friendly atmosphere. I have a bad habit of a short attention span for things that do not immediately grab me...Much like the I need to really want to hear it after 3 notes deal :lol:

Some notable rooms such as the Michael Audio room. I really wanted to hear what the Belles 350 ref sounded like but I was not familiar enough with the (Harbeth's H7's?) to discern what if any difference the Amp could make. Nice sound,good imaging and soundstage for the room. Well displayed. I thought the Harbeth's were special until I heard or should say did not here the lower octaves...and the price tag :roll: Good people thou.

I thought the KR Audio and Escalante room sounded flat but I'm sure could sound much better in a different setting. Those big "Bottles" are impressive.
Same with McIntosh. I thought it could have sounded better but the vendors were very nice and knowledgeable willing to answers questions, etc.

The Manley room just was plain fun. With all the hats,Flags,T shirts,etc, They seem really nice I wanted meet Eva? But she was not there. I really wanted my wife to meet her so can see that other females are involved in this hobby. The mono blocs sounded good with the Danish speakers.

The same with Blue Circle. Fun people and some new products. I wanted to hear the 26 or the 28 Amp but not there. Gilbery was there and it would have been interesting to talk to him,but he was too busy talking pictures of his new puppy :scratch: Cute dog!

The IDIS, room was very good powered by 2 Dual 275 McIntosh Tube Amps :drool: Really cool looking Amps and I will say very dynamic. Those big line arrays were nice. I could not own them but it was fun to hear,just to big for my tastes. Also Jim Salk's story regarding the sales person was very funny. I'll let him share that.

I also was able to meet Rick Craig, Very nice person and really wanted to listen longer as his product was very nice, I can not remember the model but the Belles 150 helped showing off the speed of the Drivers and his crossover design.

I really enjoyed Arthur's room as I too have never heard the Ushers'. Very friendly people and a good set up with VTL and Greg Straley IC's and PC used. He was surprised I new about the cables. The 6381's and the 719 or 718's not sure were very "Live sounding". Especially when someone played "Jazz at the Pawnshop" He really had them singing. I wanted to hear the S520's but the room was to full most of the time to switch. I'm looking for a good affordable bedroom speaker. You could clearly tell the difference between a well setup system and one thrown together.

The Salk room is where I really needed to go. My wife and I ordered a pair and this was going to be her audition of the HT3's. Even though the room was dark you could really see the fit and finish of the HT2's and HT'3s. I liked the finish on the 2's :drool:
 Jim was very professional and really sincere in his comments. Both my friend and spouse came away with the same feeling of sonic bliss. I did not influence them in either way as I told them to listen to everything and make their own decisions. We had fun and I really liked to hear their comments once they heard the HT3's. My wife felt very comfortable and happy to know of the craftsmanship and artistry that goes into the build process and finshing of the cabinets as well as the electronics. Also not to mention that she enjoyed talking to Jim and hearing his enthusiasm about building speakers.

I got to meet F. Van Alstine, but we did not seem to be able to converse much as he was often being whisked away...I did meet Gage Rommel whom I enjoyed talking to. Super nice person and a diefinite audiophile. He was not even showing his product just attending. I almost had my wife talked into letting me order one to listen to until she found out the price :oops: Maybe next year!

We went back to meet others, Ted B, and his friend, Ed Vrobel and a couple others from AC. It was good to talk to others and meet new friends. If anything this hobby really needs to grow more for all to enjoy :thumb:

We topped off the evening in Royal Oak @ Tom's Oyster Bar for dinner and Memphis Smokehouse for some good "Live Blues music" afterwards. Nice time in MI. Go Buc's :lol: