Finally! LS-6 kits are shipping!

czech622

Re: Finally! LS-6 kits are shipping!
« Reply #40 on: 6 Jul 2007, 07:41 am »

czech622

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jul 2007, 11:52 pm »
Finally! LS-6 Fabrication is completed.  It took awhile, but better late than never.  The crossovers have been tested and have about 16 hours on them so far and I love what I hear coming out of them.  I really didn't know what to expect, but lets just say that all you folks out there that have been patiently waiting for your LS-6 and LS-9's to arrive, be a little more patient; the wait is worth it.  I will post more later, including my first critical listening, but I need to take a break from just driving in 150 screws and my hands are full of glue.  Probably take tomorrow off and get back at it next weekend including priming and sanding.

Kelly

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1115

jn316

« Reply #42 on: 12 Jul 2007, 05:52 pm »

Thank you for your kind comments.  I live in small town just outside of St. Louis, called Wentzville: 
Kelly

Hey, I used to live in St. Charles! Now out in Colorado Springs and have some av123 LS6's coming. Nice work on the cabinets.

Gary

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #43 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:21 pm »
Arthurs,

Thank you for your kind comments.  I live in small town just outside of St. Louis, called Wentzville:  The home for many years to Chuck Berry.  George Thorogood  wrote a tribute song to Chuck called "Back to Wentzville" on his Bad to the Bone release. 

I am gearing up to complete the fabrication today and tomorrow, so I should be able to give them a test soon!   

Kelly

No kidding, I live in Ballwin ... I'd love to come listen to these at your place sometime.  Congrats on getting them up and runnin!

czech622

« Reply #44 on: 12 Jul 2007, 09:37 pm »
Gary,

How long ago did you leave St. Charles?  It has changed drastically in the last couple of years, probably Missouri's fastest growing area.

TurboFC3S,

I am far from actually having them finished.  I have a lot of sanding, priming and painting to do, but when I do get them finished, I'll try to look you up so you can have a listen.  So far, they sound very good, but won't get any critical listening till I get them out of my shop and with the rest of my gear.  Right now I have stripped all the speakers and ports out for my next phase of the build.  The hardest part of the project was getting the ports to be flush with the back surface....what a bear! You get abut an 1/8 of inch of MDF to work with.

Thanks,

Kelly
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2007, 04:30 am by czech622 »

klh

« Reply #45 on: 8 Oct 2007, 12:00 am »
Czech622... how are they coming along?

czech622

« Reply #46 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:04 pm »
Hey guys...sorry for no new news, but with the heat in St. Louis in August and September, it was just too hot and humid to do a good paint job (piano black gloss).  Well, I have just finished my final coat of Omni AU mbc9300 black and HOK UC35 clear and they have turned out very nice.  I am currently on a business trip in San Diego and will post some pics when I get back home this weekend.  Thanks,

Kelly

czech622

« Reply #47 on: 15 Oct 2007, 01:24 am »
Well guys, They are 95 percent complete, but far enough along to consider them complete...in about 30 days, I'll compound and buff the finish and bring it to a super gloss....just to match my F113!  Sorry the pictures didn't turn out well, but I only had my cheap camera with me.  As far as the sound goes......these LS-6 sometimes take my breath away - the pure visceral energy that these things produce is quite amazing -  in the chest amazing - Despite that they are not broken in, they already image quite well and the sound stage is both wide and deep.  After they break in a little, I'll provide a brief synopsis of my listening experiences with some tracks I use to test with.  I don't know why I should be so surprised at how great they sound - when you take a kit that has been developed from the ground up, uses great components for the cross-overs, and a little bit of trial and error with the Alphas, Danny really has set the bar high on this one....I couldn't be happier and I'd like to thank Danny for his wizardry on these. Truly Exceptional!

Thanks,

Kelly        http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1115

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #48 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:33 pm »
Kelly,
Wow, You did a great job on them! :thumb:

Regards,
John

czech622

« Reply #49 on: 16 Oct 2007, 12:50 am »
Thank you John.  They really turned out nice and the pictures don't do them justice.  I will post some more later on in the week and give a brief review after they break in a little bit.

Czech622

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #50 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:54 am »
Looking forward to it!

aaron smithski

« Reply #51 on: 6 Nov 2007, 06:38 am »
Thank you John.  They really turned out nice and the pictures don't do them justice.  I will post some more later on in the week and give a brief review after they break in a little bit.

Czech622

Kelly,

Any further comments on your LS-6's? Also, how much do you figure you have into them ($$$ and hours of build time).

Thanks!

Aaron

czech622

« Reply #52 on: 7 Nov 2007, 08:04 pm »
Aaron,

My mother has taken ill and I have been in an out of hospitals for the last week.  But I do have some approximations for you.

Creating templates - Front, rear, and internal bracing...............12 hours
Creating sides and braces from templates.............................. ...8 hours
Glue up ....................................... ....................................... 4 hours
Sanding, sealing, and priming  2 stage.................................. .12 hours
Painting 3 coats - 2 stage.................................. ...................  3 hours
Clear Coat 3 coats - 2 stage HOK ....................................... .....2 hours
Buff Clear coat  ....................................... .............................4 hours
Speaker and Crossover installation ....................................... ...4 hours
Acoustic dampening ....................................... .......................2 hours
Port assembly and Glue in ....................................... ...............1 hour

As for the $$$ spent, well about $1995.00 for the kit, $10.00 for Polyurethane glue, $20.00 for flush trim router bit, and about $125.00 for paint and supplies.  Hope this helps.

The speakers have really opened up since first listening to them, and I am really enjoying them more than ever.  They really are spectacular and the clearity with which they produce sound is amazing - It is not that I am hearing things that I never heard before, but because of so little cone movement by the mids and highs, there is very little distortion to speak of; vocals are clear (pink floyd - dark side of the moon), and the sound stage is really wide and deep -  just a bit higher than past setups I've had, but kind of reminds me of listening to a live performances from the first row of a concert. NICE!

I'll be posting some updated pics soon.

Thanks, Kelly

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #53 on: 7 Nov 2007, 09:14 pm »
Kelly,
I hope your Mother gets well soon. Speakers can wait, take care of Mom!! :wink:

Regards,
John

aaron smithski

« Reply #54 on: 7 Nov 2007, 09:42 pm »
I am sorry to hear about your mother...I hope she gets well soon.

You have built some gorgeous speakers! I appreciate you taking the time to delineate just how much work goes into building a pair of these.

I was considering building a pair myself, but between running an established business while trying to start up another, I really don't think I'll be able to justify the time invested as opposed to going through with the $2995 pre-order price that I signed on for at AV123! After spending $2200 on the kit & ancillary expenses, I feel the $800 more that AV123 would get for the cabs is a very fair price (52 hours at about $15 an hour)...plus I would probably have to add another 10-15 hours easy due to my usual 'plodding-along' pace.  :D

The satisfaction of building them myself would be great, but time isn't on my side.

Here's a pic from your gallery to add to this thread to further stoke the fire for us guys waiting for these:  :drool:

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #55 on: 7 Nov 2007, 10:37 pm »
oof!  Those look killer in black.  The wife asked if we could get a pair in piano black and I wanted one of the wood finishes but this photo has me thinking of switching... wow

Thanks!

Sean

jn316

« Reply #56 on: 7 Nov 2007, 10:50 pm »
The 6's going in your theatre, Sean, or in a 2-ch area? Those do look nice in black!

Sean Parque

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #57 on: 7 Nov 2007, 11:05 pm »
I dunno yet... moving before the end of the year... it depends on the new place.  I also need room for the x-statik's and x-ls and Mini and... ;)

aaron smithski

« Reply #58 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:24 am »
Sean,

I have Moho LS-6's on preorder, but was also considering switching to piano black as these are damn sexy...what is the upcharge for PB?

You guys need more pics of the finishes available on your site/forum.  aa

Aaron
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2008, 04:52 am by aaron smithski »

TomS

« Reply #59 on: 8 Nov 2007, 02:29 am »
Sean,

I have Mojo LS-6's on preorder, but was also considering switching to piano black as these are damn sexy...what is the upcharge for PB?

You guys need more pics of the finishes available on your site/forum.  aa

Aaron

The original pre-order PR finish was +$500 option for LS-6/9.  I think it's considered a custom finish now but Sean  could say for sure.