Hardware or software, what's more important to you?

PhilNYC

Re: Hardware or software, what's more important to you?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jun 2007, 01:37 pm »
I have a much bigger investment in my hardware, but I don't think that's a good measure of which is more important to me.  I bought nearly 250 CDs last year, costing about $3K...just because my gear costs more doesn't mean that music is less important to me....

JoshK

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2007, 05:39 pm »
I'd have to agree with Phil on this one.  I probably spent a bit more on parts and things for my system(s) but I averaged about 4 new CDs a week last year. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2007, 05:46 am »
It's a form of corruption. Once you get in to that HI-FI thing you're not listening to the music anymore you're critically analyzing your system. When a song sounds really good on your system you're happy even if it's not your favorite music. When a song sounds shi**y you tend not to play it anymore even if it's a good song. Case in point - I listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers on an Craposonic CD player in my car and love it. When I get home I find myself listening to Patricia Barber, Vivaldi and Christina Pluhar on my "audiophile" system because those recordings are what sound best.
It's like all those people who own big home theater systems - they don't watch B&W movies or movies that "tell a story" anymore they spend hours tweaking their system and then watch "check your brain at the door" blockbusters with tons of explosions, swirling surround sound and special effects. Because those movies look and sound good on their megabuck system.

Get the new Chili Peppers on SH mastered LP and you can have both!!  That's the best.

Heck, I have an Akai 8-track deck plugged into my reference system!  I still dig
it!  Wackily enough a few of those 8 tracks sound way better than I expected!!

Blows my audiophile freinds away!!

Plink

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2007, 01:13 pm »
Do you have a bigger investment in hardware or software?
What do you find more important?  Are you planning on buying
a lot more records/cd's in the future or is your music collection
status quo for now?

I'm in my 30s.  I have about 1,000 lps and 600 cds.  I figure I can get by with a modest system (by audiophile standards) for the next 15 years and mainly purchase music.  That would make a nice collection.  Perhaps when I'm 50, I'll invest in hardware.  I can easily think of 500 lps that I want for which I do not own.  And I'm not even talking about new music.

mtodde

« Reply #24 on: 14 Jun 2007, 01:41 am »
As much as I like audio gear (and as much as I've spent) it is still a means to an end. Music is what its all about.