Altmann Attraction DAC Review

BobM

Re: Altmann Attraction DAC Review
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jun 2007, 02:03 pm »
The DAC uses the almost ubiquitous TDA1543... been around for years.  Altmann just knows what he's doing with it ; )

OK, so the obvious question is "What is he doing differently than all the other kits that are available for far less money?" and "Why can't someone DIY these differences into one of those kits?". Hell, the Altmann looks like a DIY job anyway, mounted to a lacquered board.

From what I've read, almost everything in the Altmann is stock, except perhaps the clock. Now the clock is a very important piece of any DAC, but is that what makes this DAC so much better or is it some other component synergy that none of the other TDA1543 based DAC's have used to date?

An inquiring mind wants to know, mostly because the cost of this pine board mounted piece of electronics seems high for what you get. But then again, you always pay more for better implementation and professional/experienced knowledge.

Enjoy,
Bob

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #41 on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:05 pm »
BobM, 

The wood is Spruce. It is coated with violin lacquer and sits on spruce balls as feet. Altman calls it tone wood.  The NOS DAC is the mother of all DACs finally implemented properly.
            Nothing really special here, just well executed. Do not overlook the performance of the battery power supply Vs. basic wall current.
            With no exotic powercord, power conditioner, dedicated line, required its a winner. IMO the base unit and cost of battery is fairly priced for sonic virtues but not cosmetic.
             I mean the unit is triple ugly IMO, then again ugly is subjective. For me its worth a try, just put a bag on its head and enjoy the music.
             Bob I see one in your future I believe the Franken DIO may have met its match.

rollo

BobM

« Reply #42 on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:21 pm »
             Bob I see one in your future I believe the Franken DIO may have met its match... just put a bag on its head and enjoy the music.

Charles - you may be right  :wink:

From all I've heard this unit finally gets rid of the inherent problems in the NOS design, namely the inability to handle complex music without choking, getting all the details and the dynamics and still retain the naturalness and ease (kind of like vinyl). I've still got to hear it first in a direct comparison with my Franken-DI/O before I'll plunk down that change for something as minamilist as this is though.

Enjoy,
Bob

IronLion

« Reply #43 on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:23 pm »
If someone (Vinnie? or Charles himself?) were willing to fabricate some sort of housing for the Altmann that would put everything (the DAC, and some sort of rechargable and not car-battery sized battery) in a relatively cheap and standard housing, the Altmann would be my eventual reference DAC to get.  But as it is now, I just can't deal with having a car battery in my living room.  Maybe Charles could make some sort of spruce housing that would do this, perhaps with the top missing so that the DAC still isn't fully enclosed?  Anyways thats my two cents.

miklorsmith

« Reply #44 on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:25 pm »
Any 12v battery will work.  The Tour unit is going around with about a 5 lb. battery, like the ones Vinnie uses.

denjo

« Reply #45 on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:35 pm »
To my ears the Altmann Attraction DAC sounds much better with the Paul Hynes shunt regulated PS than it does with a 12v battery. I will be posting a more detailed account of my listening impressions with the latter PS soon. Those averse to a battery pack in your living room will be happy to know there is an alternative power supply that sounds better.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #46 on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:37 pm »
Group buy? :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #47 on: 4 Jun 2007, 03:52 pm »
Any 12v battery will work.  The Tour unit is going around with about a 5 lb. battery, like the ones Vinnie uses.
Yep...its a small battery....L: 5.50" W: 1.89" H: 4.96"

The HC 1228W....... :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #48 on: 4 Jun 2007, 04:16 pm »
Maybe Charles could make some sort of spruce housing that would do this, perhaps with the top missing so that the DAC still isn't fully enclosed? 

I agree that a Spruce housing of some sort, for the guts at least (the battery can stay outboard) would certainly go a long way toward an improved esthetic. You could name it the Altmann "Spruce Goose" option.  :thumb:

But I guess part of the design and the charm are the RCA's and switches directly soldered to the board. The housing would have to be able to accommodate this design issue effectively. Then again, a housing might totally destroy the musicality and resonant properties of the Spruce board, which according to the literature is a big part of why this DAC sounds the way it does.

Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #49 on: 4 Jun 2007, 04:23 pm »
But I guess part of the design and the charm are the RCA's and switches directly soldered to the board.
Right....less wire in the way...could be the magic... :wink:

Then again, a housing might totally destroy the musicality and resonant properties of the Spruce board...
Maybe....but its small....and you could "hide it" if you don't like the look..... :lol:

richidoo

« Reply #50 on: 4 Jun 2007, 05:49 pm »
DACT makes a power supply with testing compared diorectly to SLA battery. DACT PS rated 200ma, same as Attraction DAC, but point is to make that an AC/DC PS can be made to outperform Battery, but at a significant cost. Batteries are not perfect, but for low current applications and component engineered correctly with battery power in mind from the beginning I think it is OK. Optima battery is sealed, gel filled, spiral wound battery nothing like the tank of sulfuric acid and hydrogen gas as with old batteries. They can be mounted upside down and can take a lot of vibration and shock abuse. Trickle charge (like "battery tender") when not in use would be very safe setup.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #51 on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:53 pm »
I am thrilled to have this dac in my system and this thread along with a great opportunity to hear a friend's Altmann led me to purchasing it.  I will never judge a book by its cover again.

I am wondering if anyone who owns or reviewed the Altmann Attraction DAC used a Monarchy dip 48/96 or other similar device with the DAC?  The DAC I have has the high resolution option as well as JISCO.  I have not used the high resolution yet.

It also sounded like the battery used in the tour was a different battery from the Optima red or yellow top battery.  I wonder if the battery used caused much difference in the sound.  Anyone have comments who has used both battery power sources?  I am using the Optima yellow top and am shocked by the sound in my system.  :o

For the first time in my life I can say that listening to digital is completely grain free, relaxed, and no digital glare or fatigue.  This is not to say that is lacks resolution or detail.  It is incredibly musical and it does dig a great deal of detail from the recording without sounding analytical.  The comments about tone are right on the money.  This dac has found a home in my system hopefully for a very long time.

I want to thank the entire audiocircle community for help in finding digital happiness.

Special thanks to texendo who let me listen to the Altmann DAC in my own system which made me realize its potential.  Thanks to pardales for sharing his advice and experience with the Altmann.  Thanks to miklorsmith for putting together the tour & review.  And last thanks to hum4god for the opportunity to buy this dac from him.

That sounded like an academy award speech but I wanted to recognize all the people who helped me achieve the sound I have now.  I have been buying more cds since I received this DAC because I am not looking at classified ads here and on Agon for cd players or dacs.   :thumb:

miklorsmith

« Reply #52 on: 25 Jul 2007, 04:08 pm »
 :thumb:  Back atcha!  I've only heard it with the little battery.  I'd love to hear it with an Optima, though I can't figure out where it would fit in my rack, and also with the Paul Hynes AC supply.

audiotone

« Reply #53 on: 25 Jul 2007, 04:24 pm »

I am wondering if anyone who owns or reviewed the Altmann Attraction DAC used a Monarchy dip 48/96 or other similar device with the DAC?  The DAC I have has the high resolution option as well as JISCO.  I have not used the high resolution yet.

if you have a dvd player with 96Khz digital output, you could try this:
http://www.eximius.nl/

Charles Altmann has a link on his website...you could read this...very interesting...

>>>
http://www.mother-of-tone.com/cd.htm

BTW: Erwin van den Berg has developed very interesting new ways in interpreting CD audio data into higher sample-rate (DVD) formats. He also offers a free trial software on his website that enables you to record your own audio DVDs. Highly recommended.
>>>

I tried it and bought it...

I could also recommend the behringer SRC2496 upsampler...I am using it for about six months now and it is going to stay in my system. 150 Dollar on the net...

Have lots of fun with your new DAC and btw you should try the BYOB amp as well...same shock!

audiotone

Ramón

« Reply #54 on: 2 Jun 2010, 08:19 pm »
Hi,

A few days ago i found out of the existense of this DAC, shame on me... Lol !

Very curiuos is that Mr. Altmann resides a 10 min. ride away from my home, sometimes the good things here in germany are just at your front door and get overlooked by germans...

Why am i pushing this thread up ? Well, i´m in hunt mode for a dac and this unit could be a final solution for me.

I would be very interested if anybody of the owners here who purchased this DAC finally swapped it with something else, newer, better !?

Would you buy it again nowadays beeing all the new fancy asynchronous USB DAC´s on the market and pricely not soo far away ?

Regards

Ramón

audiotone

« Reply #55 on: 2 Jun 2010, 08:26 pm »
Hi,

A few days ago i found out of the existense of this DAC, shame on me... Lol !

Very curiuos is that Mr. Altmann resides a 10 min. ride away from my home, sometimes the good things here in germany are just at your front door and get overlooked by germans...

Why am i pushing this thread up ? Well, i´m in hunt mode for a dac and this unit could be a final solution for me.

I would be very interested if anybody of the owners here who purchased this DAC finally swapped it with something else, newer, better !?

Would you buy it again nowadays beeing all the new fancy asynchronous USB DAC´s on the market and pricely not soo far away ?

Regards

Ramón

Hi Ramon,

I still use it every day...and the byob amp as well...
I also use USB dacs, T amps, chip amps...all good fun, but they do not come near the altmann stuff...
Try it with the Visaton NoBox...also close to where you live...

kind regards,

Toon :drool: :drool:

Paul Hynes

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #56 on: 2 Jun 2010, 10:17 pm »
Hi Ramon,

If you want a very good illusion of a live music event from your system the Altmann Attraction DAC will be a key player in the equation. Charles Altmann spent time considering the fundamental requirements of music reproduction before finalising his design. The musical coherence is first class. I have made extensive power supply upgrades to mine and it just gets better with each upgrade.

People criticise the DAC for it’s open plan layout on the spruce board, and the cost is quite significant, but when equipment like this delivers the goods, I don’t care. The performance is special. You can spend a lot more money going nowhere special.

Hi Toon,

Did you ever get that Visaton B200 line array set up?

Regards
Paul

Ramón

« Reply #57 on: 3 Jun 2010, 01:23 am »
Thank you both, Toon and Paul for your feedback :)

The looks of the dac isn´t a big deal for me, it will be fitted into my audio pc anyway near the mainboard. Perhaps i just follow the philosophy and build my whole audio pc on a spruce board and hide both inside my hifi rack :D

Regarding speakers i already trust german engineering. I had some listenings with Visaton ones but they didn´t convinced me, it was the atlas wich i heard. The open baffle ones seem interesting though, never seriously auditioned something like that.

Actually i´m using speakers designed by Manfred Zoller ( main designer of original focal grande utopia, ex focal diy kit designer, onyx, ultimate solution etc. ), take a look here http://www.audiovideoforum.de/portal.php?sid=e72f3fbc2096ab96c7152f5751f8f02a

There is a small english section on the forum aswell. Before buying Magico i would look at his new Atmossphäre designs, 30k speakers sold for 1/10 of the price as kit. Just ridicoulous bargains. People who auditioned his new speaker line said that it was the best they heard in their lives. I own Zollers entry line speakers and those outperform a lot of stuff wich is available at hifi dealers for 5 times the price, jawdropping already.

Regards
Ramón

audiotone

« Reply #58 on: 3 Jun 2010, 08:16 pm »
Hi Ramon,

If you want a very good illusion of a live music event from your system the Altmann Attraction DAC will be a key player in the equation. Charles Altmann spent time considering the fundamental requirements of music reproduction before finalising his design. The musical coherence is first class. I have made extensive power supply upgrades to mine and it just gets better with each upgrade.

People criticise the DAC for it’s open plan layout on the spruce board, and the cost is quite significant, but when equipment like this delivers the goods, I don’t care. The performance is special. You can spend a lot more money going nowhere special.

Hi Toon,

Did you ever get that Visaton B200 line array set up?

Regards
Paul
Hi Paul,

I work 12 to 13 hours a day...leaves just enough time to play a cd or two every evening...
The array is still on my wish (I had some more time) list.
Also is your solution to drive all 8 in parallel...
Maybe when I stop working in a few years...

kind regards,
Toon

audiotone

« Reply #59 on: 3 Jun 2010, 08:27 pm »
Thank you both, Toon and Paul for your feedback :)

The looks of the dac isn´t a big deal for me, it will be fitted into my audio pc anyway near the mainboard. Perhaps i just follow the philosophy and build my whole audio pc on a spruce board and hide both inside my hifi rack :D

Regarding speakers i already trust german engineering. I had some listenings with Visaton ones but they didn´t convinced me, it was the atlas wich i heard. The open baffle ones seem interesting though, never seriously auditioned something like that.

Actually i´m using speakers designed by Manfred Zoller ( main designer of original focal grande utopia, ex focal diy kit designer, onyx, ultimate solution etc. ), take a look here http://www.audiovideoforum.de/portal.php?sid=e72f3fbc2096ab96c7152f5751f8f02a

There is a small english section on the forum aswell. Before buying Magico i would look at his new Atmossphäre designs, 30k speakers sold for 1/10 of the price as kit. Just ridicoulous bargains. People who auditioned his new speaker line said that it was the best they heard in their lives. I own Zollers entry line speakers and those outperform a lot of stuff wich is available at hifi dealers for 5 times the price, jawdropping already.

Regards
Ramón
Ramon,

loved the DIY eggs Focal had many years ago....
but I grew up and got wiser (I hope) and I started searching for sheer musicality...found it in the Altmann stuff and papercone speakers full range...with the help of a good active helper woofer...or two.
I often get some audiofreaks in for a quick listen...most of them got rid of everything they had and went the same way I did...
But there are many roads to Rome offcourse...

I hope you will find the same satisfaction as I have...

enjoy the music!
http://picasaweb.google.be/tony.de.lobelle/20080526VisatonB200SpruceBaffle#
http://picasaweb.google.be/tony.de.lobelle/MySystem#

kind regards,

Toon