Is there a way to connect my laptop to my Hdtv?

warnerwh

Is there a way to connect my laptop to my Hdtv?
« on: 5 Feb 2007, 02:07 am »
I just bought a laptop and a Samsung 50" dlp. They both have these inputs that have about 15-20 pin holes. They look like a monitor connector for a video card, or about that size. I'm wondering if I can record off of my tv to my laptop with these inputs or outputs, whatever they are.

Being as I know diddly about HT. Spent several hours before I decided on the Samsung DLP. Could someone tell me the longetivity and anything else about these sets please.

The reason I ask is because my brother told me he'd be worried about the mechanical things, something having to do with the mirrors. Also where would the best place to buy new bulbs be? These look pretty spendy and apparently only last a year or say at the rate the tv is on around here. I did tell my wife and daughter to not leave  the tv on anymore if they're not going to watch something.

Thank you for any help.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Is there a way to connect my laptop to my Hdtv?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2007, 02:23 am »
We need model numbers.

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:58 am »
The Samsung is HL-S5086W. The Toshiba Satellite laptop is a A135.

It appears these are 15 pin connectors. It may be designed to only play things from a computer through the tv. What I'd like to do though is record with my laptop occasionally.

Being as we just got this HDTV I need to research how to get a HDTV receiver. We have Dish now but they charged my friend 200 to upgrade a couple of weeks ago. It may be possible to get Directtv to set us up for free being as we'd be a new account. If anybody knows the best way to get an HDTV receiver please let me know.  Thanks.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2007, 06:03 am »
Those sound like VGA connectors.

If that's what it is then you could hook the laptop up to your DLP to use the DLP as a monitor, but you couldn't use that connection to record off of the DLP.

If you need a VGA cable to connect your laptop to your DLP let me know as I've got a nice one that I bought for a bigger monitor that never got opened because the monitor got trashed before I could put it into service (yay for basment flooding :evil: ). Give 'ya a great deal on it too.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2007, 04:32 pm »
To record to the laptop you'd need a tuner card that slips into the slot on the side, the name of which escapes me at the moment. The card usually comes with the software for recording to the hard drive. The A135 is a series of laptop made by Toshiba. There should be 4 numbers following that which will determine the specific features of your machine ie. what kind of slot you've got on the side. There are a few different kinds. That will determine which model of tuner you need. 

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2007, 05:58 pm »
A few TVs allow you to record from output jacks on the TV, but they will be Standard Definition. Most TVs only have input jacks.

It sounds like you will want to record from the Dish receiver to you laptop. The problem is that these days they try to make this difficult or expensive. Keeping in mind that the goal of the broadcasters is to keep you from recording content for your own use, especially high-definition content....On a desktop PC you would typically use a card such as the ATI All-in-wonder card or one of the newer cards on the market. The laptop will either have the appropriate card built in or you will need a type II or III card for your laptop card slot.

Unless you want to do the Slingbox thing, you may be happier with a DVD-Recorder, or a Dish DVR, the type which allows you to burn shows you record to DVD (if it exists). Then you can watch the DVDs anywhere.

warnerwh

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2007, 01:16 am »
Thanks guys. Being as Dish wanted 300 to upgrade my receiver I'm cancelling. I ordered Direct Tv and will get the HD receiver with DVR for free this Friday.  They even threw in a portable dvd player/viewer, gave me 10 bucks off my total for 10 months and free HD for four months.

Personally I don't understand why Dish would want to lose a customer after 11 years. I got satellite when it was available and paid 200 for my first dish and receiver. If they gave me the receiver I'd stay with them another 11 years or more. Now they lost a solid customer who's paid them every month for 132 months. Anybody know why they do this?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2007, 01:43 am »
Wow 300 is a lot up front to get HDTV. Do you own the receiver?

I guess you have to also ask why Direct TV did what they did - thats lots of free stuff.

Questions to ask are:
What standard/resolution is the video that is recorded to the DVR hard drive?
Can you burn DVDs of the shows? How?
Can you get the shows to your laptop? At the broadcast resolution?

warnerwh

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2007, 02:30 am »
Actually the ability to record is almost a non issue here. The fact it costs nothing is the only reason I'll take it. If they charged extra for dvr I'd let them keep it. I still have a vcr hooked up which will last a long time as it's used nearly never.

We don't own the Dish receiver but they can have it back. It just surprises me they charge so much. I'm sure other people must have done the same thing I am. Be a new customer and get everything for free. I'd think it would have been smarter for Dish to send me a new receiver and keep my account. Or maybe charge 50 bucks or something. 300 is high as my father in law just paid 200 a couple of weeks ago to upgrade.

They may have come down but even 200 isn't worth it when the competitor is willing to invest alot more just to get my account. Makes no sense to me and it doesn't matter to us either way as it will be the same service for about the same money I'm sure. Now we just pay the bill to a different company. Very odd as I don't know what I am missing here.