CI Audio versus Kharma

Hans

CI Audio versus Kharma
« on: 4 Feb 2007, 04:11 pm »
Hello,

I stumbled upon this forum while searching for more information about the CI Audio D200 amps and must say that this is a very informative site!
I have a question:

has anyone compared the D200 (or D100) to the Kharma MP-150??

regards, Hans

richidoo

Re: CI Audio versus Kharma
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2007, 07:04 pm »
They were both "reviewed" in TAS, November 2006 issue. The review is very controversial. Take it FWIW. You can read the review on avguide.com, search for the amps by name. The D200 and Kharma received mostly positive reviews. It is best to listen to them yourself, in your own system before you decide.
Rich

Hans

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2007, 09:07 pm »
Hi Rich,

thank you very much for your information. What I understand from the reviews the CI's and Kharma use in principle the same D-class technology. I think that I'm inclined to prefer the D-200's because of their power output. The amp under consideration is intended for the woofer section of my speakers, so the "more power, the better the control of the woofers".

regards, Hans

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2007, 09:20 pm »
CIA is coming out with a 400 watt monoblocs. You can use these on the top and bottom :icon_lol:

Hans

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2007, 09:33 pm »
Darth,

I just want to use them on my woofer section! Horn and plasma-tweeters sound at their best with tubes! The D200's are perfoming very well at this moment after burning in!!

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm »
PLASMA TWEETERS? I have heard of them, but never seen one. I would SO love to see a picture of your speakers. Can you smell the ozone when they play? Awesome!!! I idolize Nikola Tesla, so lightning machine audio transducers are like holy grail!  :thumb:

Given equal current sourcing ability, it is the lower output impedence of hypex amps that improves driver control. Hypex is probably the best of the class Ds at doing low and stable output impedence. This is important for all drivers, as some tweeters can dip pretty low, although they don't draw as much current they still benefit from lower impedence source.

Rich

Hans

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2007, 10:05 am »
Rich, follow this link: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1128538158&read&3&4& and you can have a look at my system.

regarding the bass capabilities of Hypex-based D amps: you're right! The bass at this very moment is the best I have ever heard from my speaker: dynamic, fast, detailled,  very thight, articulate and with lots of drive and slam ("PRAT")!!

with regard to the tweeters: yes, you can smell a slight bit of ozon!! Once you have heard plasma-tweeters, you will never go back to "conventional" tweeters!!

Hans :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:59 pm »
Hans,
That was fun reading about your rig. I laughed when I saw the small size of your "video monitor" in contrast to the size of the "audio monitors". You have your priorities straight!! Guests to our living room (listening room) frequently ask why we need such big speakers when we don't even have a TV there. Or, "When will you be getting a TV to finish your home theater?"    :duh:

I prefer ribbon tweeters to traditional domes and pistons, but I can imagine how great a totally massless tweeter must sound!

Do you find that the other drivers in your speakers can keep up with the speed of the tweeter? I can see why you are looking for iron grip control on the low end. Horn woofer would be fastest because lowest mass, is that what you have?
Thanks
Rich

Occam

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2007, 08:24 pm »
...... I idolize Nikola Tesla, so lightning machine audio transducers are like holy grail!  :thumb: ...

You idiolize a guy who castrated himself so as not to be 'distracted'? WOW!
Respect and admire, possibly  :o :o :o

Hans

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2007, 08:27 pm »
Rich,

I also get questions about TV and Home theater, which is funny because I'm not into movies at all. My TV is only for news-and sport purposes and is not connected to the audio set.
The woofers are not horns but 12' conventional woofers (four per speaker) and yes the horns and woofers can keep up with the tweeters.
How does your set look like??

regards, Hans

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2007, 08:45 pm »
...... I idolize Nikola Tesla, so lightning machine audio transducers are like holy grail!  :thumb: ...

You idiolize a guy who castrated himself so as not to be 'distracted'? WOW!
Respect and admire, possibly  :o :o :o

He did that?? I have his biography and no mention is made of that. You're not saying he performed the "operation" himself .... are you??

Occam

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2007, 09:31 pm »
Actually, yes, at least according to a rather dry, academic biography I read of him a number of years ago. I'm trying to find it among the morass of the family's books and I don't recall the title. I'm not a Tesla scholar. The book, while not sensationalist in any way, could be wrong. I'll keep digging.

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb 2007, 12:45 am »
Rich,
(snip)How does your set look like??
regards, Hans

I only have three 12" woofers per speaker.  :wink:
I use zeroformers to make them behave very nicely with my 70wpc tube amp. The D-200 would not need that.
http://parkwestlake.com/nopw/rich/hifi/
Rich

Hans

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2007, 11:06 am »
nice setup. One of the woofers must be inside the speaker?! - only two visible in the front

Hans

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:00 pm »
It's facing rearward. Bass is +/- 6dB from 15Hz to 80Hz in 7500 cu foot room with a small tube amp!  :thumb: I wish 80-200 was as good, but the room is a tough nut to crack.
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/104legacy/

Hans

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:07 pm »
the room is always a limiting factor in home audio, unless you're prepared/have the money to build a dedicated listening room with optimal acoustics. Question then, however, is wether you'll still like the music. Maybe music is what it is/sounds in our rooms as a result of acoustic "mishaps".

regards, Hans