OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amplifer

BradJudy

Re: OmegaStar EX Integrated Control Amplifer
« Reply #40 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:15 am »
FYI: I just checked FPE and it currently has 23 font options.  A few are variations (like outline) rather than a unique fonts, but there are a number of options available.  This is with v3.41, which I downloaded a few weeks ago.

Ryerse Rocks

« Reply #41 on: 23 Feb 2007, 12:35 am »
Man, this is becoming one insipid, mind-numbing, boring thread isn't it? C'mon, we can do better.

avahifi

« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2007, 02:32 pm »
Well, I got the experimental silver SL faceplate that BradJudy so kindly designed for me from Front Panel Express.

Unfortunately it did not come up to our expectations.  The text stroke weight is significantly too heavy.  It makes the piece look pretty amateur.

I will contact them this coming week to see if they can suggest a font size and weight that might work a lot better, but I suspect the limits are with their engraving process minimum size capability.

The silver anodizing is fine, and they milled the edge smooth, but the overall effect is doubtful.

I will mount it on a dummy chassis and take some photos when I have time.

I think I could do better just going back to my normal anodizer and having them do a "reverse" black on silver version of the faceplate.  The "catch" is that I would need to do the EC preamp, the SL preamp, the DAC, and the power amp versions all.  That requires duplicate metal runs, duplicate anodizing runs, stocking silver knobs and buttons (if there are any), a total of many thousands of dollars tied up for maybe a few extra sales.  Methinks it is not worth the investment.  The object is the music and we can provide you that now if that is what is most important to you.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

WEEZ

« Reply #43 on: 24 Feb 2007, 03:44 pm »
If I might make a BOLD statement here.. :duh:

AVA equipment sounds great; costs less than most of the competition; is well made; is upgradeable; has optional phono and/or remote capability; has a home trial period; a (3) year warranty; and BLACK faceplates. Sheeesh...

Maybe Frank will do one-offs for an 'up-charge' that costs more than the remote option? Is it 'worth it'?

WEEZ

modular747

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:01 pm »
That requires duplicate metal runs, duplicate anodizing runs, stocking silver knobs and buttons (if there are any), a total of many thousands of dollars tied up for maybe a few extra sales.  Methinks it is not worth the investment.  The object is the music and we can provide you that now if that is what is most important to you.

I agree.  Your customer base hasn't been the type to base equipment purchase decisions on faceplate color. Besides the handful of requests on this forum, how many sales have you lost over the years where faceplate color was an issue?  Better to sink you capital into new designs and products. That said, I think you should look into florescent, traffic cone orange. 

BradJudy

« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:28 pm »
Unfortunately it did not come up to our expectations.  The text stroke weight is significantly too heavy.  It makes the piece look pretty amateur.

Frank - If this is the only item of concern, they do have an available engraver width of 0.2mm - the one you have is 0.4mm. 

avahifi

« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2007, 05:30 pm »
Brad, I will call them on Monday and talk about another sample with a finer font stroke, that might work.

Frank