XDC•2 Update

Charles Calkins

Re: XDC•2 Update
« Reply #20 on: 6 Mar 2007, 05:43 am »

Yo!! Hal and everybody else:

Looks to me that you guys are pissing up some kind of a fuzzy rope. My D-200's are plugged right into regular wall socket and I don't get any buzz. Dead quiet! Gotta be some other thing within your home electrical circuit that is causing the buzz. Why do I have them plugged into a wall socket??? Because Dusty said this is the way to go!!
 Hey Guys!!!! K.I.S.S.
  Comprende?

Cheers
                                       Charlie

Nick B

« Reply #21 on: 6 Mar 2007, 06:02 am »
Hi Charlie
I got buzz...don't like buzz.  :(   Happy for you that you don't have buzz.  :)  I like the D200's, but would like to get rid of that problem, so an XDC seems like the way to go. I probably will be placing an order soon.
Regards,
Nick

CIAudio

« Reply #22 on: 6 Mar 2007, 06:13 am »
George, what's your problem with your Humbuster? I ask because I received a UPC-200HB today. I like how it looks and feels but am not sure if it does anything. The D-200s buzz just as much as before.

Dusty, I may have to try the XDC-2 also. Do you have them in stock?

If the hum is caused by DC, the XDC-2 will eliminate it. About 75% of the time this is the case, but other power problems(distorted waveform) can also cause transformers to hum. Best thing is to try one and see if it fixes the problem...we have them in stock.

ralflar

« Reply #23 on: 6 Mar 2007, 06:40 am »
Good to know you have them in stock. I'll call you Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ralf

ralflar

« Reply #24 on: 6 Mar 2007, 06:49 am »
Charlie,

I tried straight into the wall, as well as into three kinds of power conditioners.

Buzzzz, all of them.

If XDC-2 won't fix the issue, does that mean I'll have to look at power regeneration  :shake: ?

Yo!! Hal and everybody else:

Looks to me that you guys are pissing up some kind of a fuzzy rope. My D-200's are plugged right into regular wall socket and I don't get any buzz. Dead quiet! Gotta be some other thing within your home electrical circuit that is causing the buzz. Why do I have them plugged into a wall socket??? Because Dusty said this is the way to go!!
 Hey Guys!!!! K.I.S.S.
  Comprende?

Cheers
                                       Charlie

ralflar

« Reply #25 on: 6 Mar 2007, 07:31 am »
Edit: posted the pics in the wrong thread! Moved them to were I intended them to go - the 10th Anniversary thread. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2007, 08:41 pm by ralflar »

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #26 on: 6 Mar 2007, 07:45 am »
Wow those are really gorgeous  products

HumanMedia

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2007, 09:51 am »
Hey, how are people finding their XDC's?
Did it cut down on the physical transformer noise for any of you?
Did any of you find that the RFI filtering had any noticable improvement to the audio quality also?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2007, 12:23 pm »
I have had mine in my system for about a week now (where it replaced the PS Audio Humbuster).  In both cases I had the Moscode 401HR plugged into XDC-2 or Humbuster, which in turn was connected to a Running Springs Audio Haley.  All power cords were the excellent Black Sand Silver Reference Mk IV or V.

The XDC-2 definitely sounded better than the PS Audio Humbuster right out of the box.  The music opened up and there is improved detail, resolution, and speed.

Unfortunately, there was now a small amount of transformer hum on the Moscode when there wasn't any when the PS Audio Humbuster was in the system.  The XDC-2 did reduce the amount of hum coming from the Moscode's transformer (compared to having the Moscode go directly into the Haley) so that I could only hear it from my listening position if there is no music playing.  Without the XDC-2 or Humbuster in the system, the transformer buzz can be heard very easily even during some music.

Per Dusty's recommendation, I switched things around so that my powered subs from the Vandy 5A's were now plugged into the XDC-2.  Well, not only did this stop the small amount of transformer hum in the Moscode, the music improved as well!   :thumb:  While it wasn't as big an improvement as going from the Humbuster to the XDC-2, it still made enough difference that one could hear the changes when listening to some of my test tracks.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and I will be keeping the XDC-2.

Well done Dusty.   :beer:

George
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2007, 03:54 pm by zybar »

G2moscode

« Reply #29 on: 28 Apr 2007, 05:53 pm »
The power where I live is terrible, DC on the mains, surges, brown outs.
I can't believe that they can get away will selling polluted elec.

For years I have had problems with DC based mechanical hum from the transformers on all my equipment.
I checked my power and DC was on my power lines. George Kaye rigged a capacitor outlet setup to drain
off the DC with a switch so I could take it in and out of my system for testing. I flicked the switch and
the hum was eliminated.

It was at that point I bought power regenerator (AC-DC-AC). I wired a separate dedicated outlet run from
the box in my basement. I am pleased now with the sound and how well everything else operates.

Getting rid of DC can make a huge improvement.

Gage
Moscode, Inc.

« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2007, 07:58 pm by G2moscode »

CIAudio

« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2007, 07:31 pm »
Normally, I have the Moscode and a Lamm LL2 plugged into a Shunyata Hydra 2. I have my digital front end plugged into a separate Hydra 2, which is in turn plugged into a separate AC circuit.

Would your XDC-2 be worthwhile in my situation if it replaced the Hydra 2 feeding my Moscode and Lamm, or would you suggest using it elsewhere?

I would try it between the output of the Hydra and the humming component, and also without the Hydra to see which yields the best result.

kkc

recommendations for power regenerator?
« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2007, 09:43 pm »
I'd like some recommendations for a power regenerator please.  Despite trying the XDC2, I am still getting a lot of toroidal hum and its really getting to me.  Seems like I have a really durty power feed.  I even drive the D200s to a friends house about 15 miles away and still got the same hum.  Thanks.  KKC

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: recommendations for power regenerator?
« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2007, 10:16 pm »
I'd like some recommendations for a power regenerator please.  Despite trying the XDC2, I am still getting a lot of toroidal hum and its really getting to me.  Seems like I have a really durty power feed.  I even drive the D200s to a friends house about 15 miles away and still got the same hum.  Thanks.  KKC

A power regenrator won't necessarily get rid of transformer hum.

Was there any improvement with the XDC2?

George

kkc

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2007, 10:29 pm »
no improvement at all unfortunately.

EDS_

« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2007, 10:32 pm »
Might a plasma TV be on the circuit? Most are fine....however, I had a low end plasma that bled enough DC that my pre-amp (an ADCOM GFP-750 at the time) would hum and vibrate.

DC in the lines SUCKS!

kkc

« Reply #35 on: 5 May 2007, 07:59 am »
no I have no plasma but I'm sure some of my neigbours do.

CIAudio

« Reply #36 on: 7 May 2007, 03:03 am »

If the XDC•2 didn't eliminate the noise, it indicates that something else (not DC) is causing the hum...usually another sort of waveform distortion. Something like an Exact Power EP15 might be what you need. It will correct the waveform issue but won't block DC. In some cases you'll need both devices to fix your power issue(s).

denjo

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jul 2007, 01:52 am »
Connected the XDC*2 between my Hydra 6 and D*200s. The irritating hum has been completely eradicated!!

Thanks Dusty!

yooper

« Reply #38 on: 14 Jul 2007, 07:04 pm »
Dusty,

Will this work with a pair of mono 200w SS (Odyssey Mono Extreme's) amps?

Thanks,

Mark

denjo

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2007, 02:29 am »
Mark
I blew a fuse in the XDC*2 when I hooked up my SS amplifier! You have done well to ask Dusty for his advice before acting.

Best Regards
Dennis