XDC•2 Update

CIAudio

XDC•2 Update
« on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:49 am »
The new XDC•2 AC Enhancing Filter will be available in two versions:

The 100~120v model will be as shown on our website (with Hubbell outlets), and available in about 3 weeks. This model will be sold in US and Japan.

The 220~240v model (XDC•2S) will use Schurter female IEC outlets (uses male to female IEC output cords). These will be available in about 5 weeks.

Both models are RoHS compliant but only the XDC•2S will be sold in Europe to meet CE standards. Cost for either version is $299

Bails

Re: XDC•2 Update
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:20 am »
That's great news about a 220-240volt version. I gather the unit would require an IEC-to-IEC cable to connect to components. Any ideas on where to get high-quality cables that would fit the bill?

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2007, 02:54 pm »
Any ideas on where to get high-quality cables that would fit the bill?

We've been using the Volex 17625 for testing and they work very well.

elg2001

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:08 pm »
How does your unit compare to something like a Belkin PF60 (description: http://catalog.belkin.com/PureAV_detail.process?Product_Id=178925) ?

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:26 pm »
How does your unit compare to something like a Belkin PF60

The primary function of XDC•2 is to remove the DC component from the AC.
It doesn't appear that the Belkin device does this, but I really know nothing about their products.

ralflar

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2007, 07:13 pm »
The PF60 does not do much more for me than provide multiple outlets which are somewhat separated, and look pretty. It also has a very high surge protection rating which is why I bought it. It does definitely not filter DC. My D-200s hum if they are plugged into the wall or PF60.

stingfan

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:33 pm »
Well your hum could be from a variety of sources beyond the wall socket and beyond DC.  Most popular culprit is from CableTV coax. Easiest way to check is disconnect your cable coax from wall and from tv or cable box.  See if the hum is still present.

I bought a $40 cable filter and it solved my problem.  I am using the Monster power box, similar (but not as pretty as) the Belkin.  Its own cable coax filters did not eliminate the hum, but this little cable filter did the trick.  I am using highly sensitive Nuforce 9.02 amps, with Dusty's VDA-2.   So while not exactly the same scenario, maybe similar enough that it might be of help.

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2007, 10:53 pm »
Well your hum could be from a variety of sources beyond the wall socket and beyond DC.  Most popular culprit is from CableTV coax. Easiest way to check is disconnect your cable coax from wall and from tv or cable box.  See if the hum is still present.

I bought a $40 cable filter and it solved my problem.  I am using the Monster power box, similar (but not as pretty as) the Belkin.  Its own cable coax filters did not eliminate the hum, but this little cable filter did the trick.  I am using highly sensitive Nuforce 9.02 amps, with Dusty's VDA-2.   So while not exactly the same scenario, maybe similar enough that it might be of help.

The XDC•2 addresses mechanical him of the transformer.
The scenario you describe is usually hum heard from the loudspeaker (ground loop).

BradJudy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2007, 12:06 am »
For reference, the PF60 uses chokes, caps and MOVs on each outlet (no choke on the 'amp' outlet):

http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/pf60gut.jpg

Skipperrik

« Reply #9 on: 1 Feb 2007, 12:12 am »
Dusty, I have a question about the mechanical hum.  My D200s are on dedicated circuits, a 20-amp circuit for each one.  I never hear a peep out of either one until my wife plugs in her curling iron and various other hair straightening/curling devices in the morning.  All of them are on a completely different circuit, but it causes a hum from the D200s that can be heard in the next room.  It's really loud!  As soon as she unplugs them, the hum stops.  I don't usually listen to music that time of day so it's not an issue with sound quality, but anything that creates a hum like that gives me more than a little concern.  Is there anything about this that could be damaging to the amps?  Is it possible that her appliances could be creating DC on the line and that a couple of your outlets would solve the problem?

CIAudio

« Reply #10 on: 1 Feb 2007, 12:59 am »
Dusty, I have a question about the mechanical hum.  My D200s are on dedicated circuits, a 20-amp circuit for each one.  I never hear a peep out of either one until my wife plugs in her curling iron and various other hair straightening/curling devices in the morning.  All of them are on a completely different circuit, but it causes a hum from the D200s that can be heard in the next room.  It's really loud!  As soon as she unplugs them, the hum stops.  I don't usually listen to music that time of day so it's not an issue with sound quality, but anything that creates a hum like that gives me more than a little concern.  Is there anything about this that could be damaging to the amps?  Is it possible that her appliances could be creating DC on the line and that a couple of your outlets would solve the problem?

Many electric heating appliances cause this sort of thing...
They limit their temperature by cycling on/off...this causes a "step" in the AC waveform, which tends to make transformers hum. The XDC-2 may help this but I doubt it would eliminate it completely. It shouldn't cause any harm to an audio component other than the annoying sound when these appliances are being used.
Having dedicated lines really doesn't do anything for you here either because the noisy appliance is on the same side of the line transformer as the audio system (and your neighbors appliances too).

elg2001

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2007, 09:38 pm »
It seems to me that the PF60 does the same things as the XDC. The PF60 seems like it removes DC from this statement in the features: "Each PureAV Power Console is loaded with innovative features, such as Multiphase PureFilter™ Circuitry, designed to remove electrical noise." Isn't the only possible source for electrical noise come from DC?

Not trying to start any name calling or acusations or anything, I'm just honestly wondering about the differences. Can anyone make out the differences by comparing an internal picture of the XDC and the PF60? Or does anyone know personally how the PF60 is designed and can detail exactly what it's doing to filter the power lines?

CIAudio

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2007, 11:19 pm »
It seems to me that the PF60 does the same things as the XDC. The PF60 seems like it removes DC from this statement in the features: "Each PureAV Power Console is loaded with innovative features, such as Multiphase PureFilter™ Circuitry, designed to remove electrical noise." Isn't the only possible source for electrical noise come from DC?

Not trying to start any name calling or acusations or anything, I'm just honestly wondering about the differences. Can anyone make out the differences by comparing an internal picture of the XDC and the PF60? Or does anyone know personally how the PF60 is designed and can detail exactly what it's doing to filter the power lines?

Noise and DC are entirely different things...
DC is caused by a line imbalance, noise can be at various frequencies and caused by numerous things. XDC-2 has both DC blocking, and high frequency noise filtering of ground, neutral and hot lines.
Again I know nothing about the Belkin device, but their description says nothing about DC blocking.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2007, 02:02 am »
Hope to have an XDC-2 soon from Dusty.  Measured 0.4VDC on the AC outlets with my Fluke 87 meter the other day.  Probably coming from the light dimmers in the house.

My D-200's mechanically hum, so this will be an interesting test that Dusty is helping me with.

CIAudio

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2007, 04:15 am »
Hope to have an XDC-2 soon from Dusty.  Measured 0.4VDC on the AC outlets with my Fluke 87 meter the other day.  Probably coming from the light dimmers in the house.

My D-200's mechanically hum, so this will be an interesting test that Dusty is helping me with.

Your beta test prototype should arrive tomorrow  :D
Let me know how it works out for you.

CIAudio

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2007, 08:38 pm »
XDC•2 is now in production and will start shipping later this week.
We will fill back orders first and will have a small quantity for new orders.

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2007, 06:41 am by CIAudio »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2007, 02:05 pm »
Dusty,

Would this work with a Moscode 401HR (http://www.moscode.com/moscode_amplifiers.htm#specs)?

I currently use a PS Audio Humbuster with the 401HR.

Thanks,

George

CIAudio

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2007, 02:43 pm »
Would this work with a Moscode 401HR (http://www.moscode.com/moscode_amplifiers.htm#specs)?

I currently use a PS Audio Humbuster with the 401HR.

Yep, should work fine.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #18 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:24 am »
Well, after a nice talk with Dusty tonight, I placed my order and should have one in the next week or so.

It will replace a PS Audio Humbuster and hopefully make an improvement.

George

ralflar

« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2007, 05:25 am »
George, what's your problem with your Humbuster? I ask because I received a UPC-200HB today. I like how it looks and feels but am not sure if it does anything. The D-200s buzz just as much as before.

Dusty, I may have to try the XDC-2 also. Do you have them in stock?