Comparison question - AVA and Parasound HALO

avahifi

Re: Comparison question - AVA and Parasound HALO
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:41 am »
Potential customers, don't think this means a silver faceplate any time soon, don't hold your breath waiting for it, order now, before our order book gets completely out of hand.  :)

Frank Van Alsitne

G E

« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:02 am »
"Your e-mail did not get to me GE, please try again.

Frank"

Frank,

My email bounced back.  Looks like you spam-filter is kicking it back.

I promise I am not spamming you!   :icon_lol:

I resent it and cc'd another email address I saw in the header file.  Hopefully it will get through.

Greg

BradJudy

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2007, 02:03 am »
Frank,

Go ahead and send it to me at brad.judy at gmail.com

My mock-up was done with a thickness of 3mm, reducing it to 2mm to fit your switch (0.09 inch = 2.28mm) brings the cost down a couple of dollars. 

avahifi

« Reply #23 on: 2 Feb 2007, 02:11 am »
I sent you the faceplate drawing tonight, have fun with them.

Regards,

Frank

rlee8394

« Reply #24 on: 2 Feb 2007, 02:41 am »
Frank,
Would you be able to supply the dimensions for the Super Pas preamp faceplate? I'll do my own graphics if you wish. I just want to make sure that I get the dimensions correct for the faceplate and hole pattern. I hate looking at four open holes on my Super Pas III.
Thanks,
Ron.

avahifi

« Reply #25 on: 2 Feb 2007, 06:06 pm »
I do not have the old Super Pas Three faceplate info in the computer or in an easily findable place, buried in the old archives somewhere.

You will need to pull your existing faceplate and use that as a template, not too difficult.

Why did you remove the tone control pots and knobs?  We always left them in place to avoid looking at empty holes with stock faceplates.

Frank

rlee8394

« Reply #26 on: 3 Feb 2007, 01:20 am »
At the time I built it way back when, I had intended to send it to you to install the black AVA Super PAS faceplate. Then you had run out of them. Poor timing on my part.

G E

« Reply #27 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:52 am »
Hello again,

I thought I would provide an update on the quest for the amp and preamp for my wife.  She is going to directly compare AVA gear with the Parasound gear.  That's right - a shoot out.  In one corner the Parasound P3 and A21, in the other the AVA Ultra SL Hybrid and Fet Valve Ultra 350.  We talked to Frank a few days ago and placed the order and let him know our intentions.  He did not seem worried at all. 

We will run this with two different sets of speakers - her new PSB Image 6 (I think that is the correct model) and also my venerable Infinity Kappa 8 (originals), with newly refoamed woofers.  The latter will provide a good test of difficult impedance load at high current.  My current Omega 3 in a Hafler xl280 shell has driven these without complaint for years.

The event is about 6 weeks out.  Frank's stuff just isn't run through wave solder machine, it is handcrafted by hardy artisans (hardy because the high temperature up there now is 2 F) and takes a bit of time... as does home made bread.... and home brew (which is another of my hobbies).

I'll report back our findings, maybe even take a few pictures and post them. 

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to weigh in with your opinions and ideas.

G E

simon wagstaff

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2007, 03:12 pm »
Hmm, I know that the finest cuban Cigars are hand-rolled on the quivering thighs of young Cuban maidens.

The vision of blonde, buxom Norwegian lasses "hand blowing" vacuum tubes in a wood cabin behind Frank's shop is an image that is hard to shake.

Stay warm up there!

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:53 am »
The vision of blonde, buxom Norwegian lasses "hand blowing" vacuum tubes in a wood cabin behind Frank's shop is an image that is hard to shake.
Frank, is there something you'd like to tell us???!?!?