HT8's On Order

BlackSandCable

HT8's On Order
« on: 28 Jan 2007, 03:34 am »
After searching high and low for a new set of mains I have decided to give the HT8's a try! I'm going to leave the building to Al and also Denny from Custom Concepts who I understand will be doing up the cabinets.

They are coming to me fully loaded (all options) and will be finished in Santos Rosewood! :D

Pictures and a follow up review will come after I get them installed.

STAY TUNED!

denjo

Re: HT8's On Order
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:55 am »
Hey John

Congrats on the new purchase!

I'm sure they will be as revealing and as good an investment as your cables!

Best Regards
Dennis

audioferret

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:37 am »
Congratulations on the HT8s!  I have listened to them at length and if i could do it all over again, I would probably choose them for my two channel.  (Al, I'm still happy with the HT3s, really!) 

This is a really special combination of drivers - you'll love them.

BlackSandCable

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2007, 07:32 am »
Thanks guys!

I have to sell off my existing mains (Monitor Audio GS20's) plus a center channel (Monitor Audio GSLCR) that are all less then a month old to pay for this but hopefully it will turn out to be a good move!

I'm looking forward to seeing what a pair of speakers capable of getting down to 27Hz can do! If I can get away with not having a sub that will cover off the cost of getting the matching center channel.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:20 pm »
We'll go step by step and post pics of your build here on the RAW circle so you can see the whole process.  :thumb:

Cheers

BlackSandCable

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:28 pm »
 :D

I know they normally take 6 weeks to build and test but can you get them done by this Friday?  :wink: lol

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2007, 09:39 pm »
Uh.....sure....yeah.....Uhh....let me get back to you on that, I gotta make a call to Al....

Cheers  :wink:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2007, 10:20 pm »
We hit paydirt! Hit a really nice batch of Santos Rosewood veneer. Almost 11" wide flitches with stunning grain. It's being stitched and paperbacked in the next few days. Nice!  :thumb:

More pics to follow...

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2007, 12:40 am »
I love it when a plan comes together! Sometimes it just don't!!! :banghead:

Update on the veneer. The original supplier that I located here that could manufacture paperback veneer from raw veneers called a couple of days later after I went up, selected, sequenced the flitches to say that their flexer ( the machine they crush the finished sheets so they become flexible enough to wrap around radiused corners) was malfunctioning.
They were experiencing problems with certain veneers forming cracks and the veneer seams were not holding up. They did not want to assume the liability if our veneer cracked during the tenderizing process. This was not a risk we could take.

There are not a ton of suppliers for this type of service, but we have 2 or 3 others here locally. It took a lot of phone tag, photographs being emailed before I found who could provide the service and had visually pleasing rosewood on hand.

I was scheduled to go visit Precision Veneers in Brantford (fortunately only about 1 hour away) to sequence the veneers and sign off on the order, but we had a freak snow/ice storm that morning. The roads were a mess till the weekend. Today I finally made it out there and was able to select and sequence the veneers.

Needless to say, this was very frustrating as it has held us up in getting to the finishing stages of John's speakers. Precision Veneers is going to try and rush my order and have the finished sheets in my hands by Friday.

Because of the off the shelf rosewood veneers being less than visually pleasing, and the difficulty in finding matched pairs, we were forced to go through all this drama. Fun,fun.  :?

Here's the veneer that we chose and the sequence.

More pics to follow, as usual.  :thumb:

Cheers

RAW

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2007, 10:48 pm »
Those who are folloing along with the build process of these HT8's for John.

As you can see getting custom made speakers can run in to issues for the best of us.
Handlling the veneer which for our products must be backed due to the round over we use on the speaker we must use a paper backed veneer.
This means getting veneer sheeted on to paper backing to our expectations.And using many suppliers to do so and offer many veneer species as well.
Making veneer sheets on small order runs like our needed for custom veneer selections takes time from the veneer manufacture and we are happy with Denny for spending so many hrs to get the raw veneer selected that will look so nice once these are done.

Over all we are on time and John has added the HT2C center for his room as well and this will be veneered in the matching rosewood as well.
All the speakers are fully loaded with Sonicaps as well as platinum bypass caps and Bi-wire option on all 3 speakers.

Will be a very nice looking HT main set once they are done.

RAW

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2007, 03:52 pm »

Just a small plate with connectors installed.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2007, 10:21 pm »
John's custom veneer has finally come in. They did a great job. Finding these guys that can do custom paperback veneers here locally is a great find.  :D

Cheers

BlackSandCable

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2007, 03:35 pm »
NICE!  :D I know you will work your magic with it! I'm really looking forward to seeing these things complete.

Thanks again to both you and Al for getting this done.  :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2007, 01:58 am »
John,

I can honestly tell you that the way this veneer thing worked out is for the best in the long run. I was just looking today at the veneer we got made vs the sample from the previous supplier, and the difference is substantial. This stuff is gorgeous. Heirloom quality.  :drool:

I'll have some pics posted next week of the build.

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2007, 07:14 pm »
Here are pics of John's completed HT 8's in custom Santos Rosewood.   :thumb:

I'll post pictures taken showing the build process as well.

Cheers 

TomS

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2007, 07:20 pm »
Wow those are gorgeous!  I love the Santos.  John will be very, very happy.  Tom

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2007, 07:31 pm »
Those are awesome.... best looking HT8s I've seen yet.   :thumb:

BlackSandCable

« Reply #17 on: 2 Apr 2007, 07:55 pm »
WOW is all I have to say! Is Denny a master with wood or what! Very nice indeed. I was a little concerned as to how the Santos Rosewood would come out but from looking at those pictures they are exactly what I was after and perhaps even a little better.

Very nice work!  :thumb:

RAW

« Reply #18 on: 2 Apr 2007, 09:47 pm »
Looks like Denny hit a home run :thumb:
Now lets see what they look like at Johns place aa

Enjoy

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2007, 01:31 am »
Here are some pics of the build process of John's speakers. John opted for all the extra's on his HT 8's. He's got the full Sonicaps/Sonicap Platinums in the crossover. Al used specific wiring and sent me the crossovers all pre wired. John also opted for the bases with the VB 8 spiked feet. No expense spared.

The crossovers installed.

The RAW Acoustics CNC baffles are used in the top section and have the magnets in them for the magnetic grill covers. These cabinets feature mitred corners throughout. All brace cutouts are rounded over on both sides for clean airflow and driver cutouts feature roundovers on the backsides to reduce driver loading. The cabinets are sealed with two coats of vinyl sealer prior to veneering, a step many would overlook.

Veneered and sanding complete. Ready for sealer.

Seal. Sand. Seal. Sand.Top coat. Sand. Top coat. Sand. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. You get the idea....

48 hrs dry time. Then final assembly.

Cheers