For those who owns power conditioner..

95bcwh

For those who owns power conditioner..
« on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:09 am »
All,
     If you use a power conditioner on your amp, I wonder did it get rid of background noise on the speaker? I am talking about noise that can be heard when you put your ears right next to the tweeter, a bit of "zzhzhzzzz", when no music is played.

Thanks for sharing :thumb:
barry

TomS

Re: For those who owns power conditioner..
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:19 am »
I have a lot "zzhzhzzzz" on my Joule tube amps and neither the Haley or Sound Applications I had made any difference for I think what you're describing.  That sound tends to come from within one of the components and is just amplified up the chain to the speakers.

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:32 am »
Barry - sit farther back so your ear isn't right next to the weeter.... :lol:

Seriously, I doubt any power conditioner will completely solve for that, you may try to determine if it is some DC on your lines that could be cleaned up...as long as you can't hear it from the listening position I wouldn't sweat it...

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2007, 01:45 am »
I am just being an "ASS*&%$#". It isn't bad at all, I can barely hear anything if my ear is more than 1ft  away from the tweeter. :lol: :lol: :lol::stupid:

denjo

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2007, 02:38 am »
Hi Barry
You might find this url link quite an intersting read. Although it was written for Counterpoint gear in particular, the writeup certainly gave me a better understanding of problems with hum.

http://www.altavistaaudio.com/hum.html

Best regards
Dennis

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:41 am »
Wow, thanks for that link Dennis!  I've occasionally had ground issues come up and been mystified- it it's not the CATV feed it always seems to be a crapshoot.  Hopefully that info will help. :)

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:54 am »
I use Running Springs power conditioners and have run a couple of dedicated lines to my
system.  Not only did 95% of my line noise problems go away, the sound improved by
a considerable amount.

the amount of current your system draws will determine what you need.  The Jaco
has enough capacity (2400 watts) to power most systems and a power amp, however
Im obsessed and have everything but my power amplifier (CJ Premier 350) on its own
20amp line with a Haley and the Amp is on its own 20amp line with a Duke.  This is a
bit overkill, as I used to run the whole system with a jaco with no problem...

www.runningspringsaudio.com

The nice thing is that quite a few running springs dealers will offer a 14 day home
trial, so you can see if it makes a big enough difference to write the check.  That's the
key!

good luck!

95bcwh

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:58 am »
Hmmm...looks like tomorrow I have a new project.. saw off the earth pin on all my plugs (except the one on my power amp).. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:33 am »
Man, that's amazing!  I recently added some components and switched some stuff in my system, and somehow added some hum/ground noise.  So I ran up to WallyWorld for a few cheater plugs, making sure to leave one component with a 3 prong grounded plug.  And whaddaya know- presto, no noise!  Tomorrow I'll have to cut off the ground prong on all the detachable cords of my amps, again making sure to leave one (and obviously I don't want to cut one off of a captive cord, just in case I need the ground later on).

Thanks for a really great tip, Dennis.

Occam

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:49 am »
I'd like to applaud Altavista Audio's efforts to promote Social Darwinism via the culling of the gene pool.  :thumb:
Lifting the ground of any electrical component that comes with a grounded cord or inlet is a violation in the U.S. of the National Electrical Code. And even with grounded components, too many people die every year from electrocution. Until codes mandate ground fault interupting breakers where appropriate, this will continue to be the case.

alternatively, one might actually consider getting the grounding of your components RIGHT -
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8780.0

Healthy and safe listening,
Paul, Moderator of the Lab Circle

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:57 am »
Being a smart ass doesn't get your point across any better.  Still, I'll check the link since I know Dan knows his stuff (I was actually going to PM him tonight for just that reason...).  Thanks for the advice.

denjo

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2007, 06:09 am »
Hi Rob
Glad you found the link helpful! I hope you will be able to clear the safety issues so that all will be safe and well.

Barry: hope you will try something less drastic before you lop off the thrid pin of uber priced power cords!

For the rest, please be careful and seek advice before you do anything! Safety first is sound advice!

Best regards
Dennis

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2007, 06:26 am »
Finally found it again- this is the product I was thinking of.  It's supposed to give you the benefits of star grounding with no changes to your wiring.  Has anyone actually tried this?  It would be well worth it if it works.

tdangelo

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2007, 02:31 pm »
And if your house burns down due to an electrical problem and the insurance investigator finds lifted grounds etc... they may just deny your claim  :cry:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2007, 03:55 pm »
I'd like to applaud Altavista Audio's efforts to promote Social Darwinism via the culling of the gene pool.  :thumb:
Lifting the ground of any electrical component that comes with a grounded cord or inlet is a violation in the U.S. of the National Electrical Code. And even with grounded components, too many people die every year from electrocution. Until codes mandate ground fault interupting breakers where appropriate, this will continue to be the case.

alternatively, one might actually consider getting the grounding of your components RIGHT -
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=8780.0

Healthy and safe listening,
Paul, Moderator of the Lab Circle

I can't stress enough how right Paul is.

Please be EXTREMELY careful when it comes to making decisions around electricity.  Use common sense and when in doubt, contact a licensed professional - not an unlicensed poster on this or any other audio forum.

George

95bcwh

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:05 pm »
If my house get burned, I will sue Audiocircle for suggesting the idea.. :lol: :banana piano:

JoshK

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:13 pm »
Just to attempt to add clarity, my simple leyman's understanding of the concern is this....

Third prongs are there for a reason.  They are your component's seatbelt in the case of a crash.  If a component does not have a third prong (i.e. many DVD players, cheaper receivers, etc) it is because it conforms to a higher safety standard, namely one of double isolation, so the third prong has been deemed unneeded.  Those components with a 3rd prong have *not* met the double isolation standard, in this case you are cutting off your seat belt.

TomS

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:15 pm »
....so what piece do you grab on the way if you only get one trip out? One Salk HT3 (mono until Jim builds another one) or the Moscode?  (the answer for you non safety conscious not reading between the lines is NONE!  Get the heck out) I faced this once as my basement flooded, hauling two Rowland 7 monoblock's to higher dry spots while I could still get to them safely.  The big Thiels I had at the time were totally ruined and delaminated.

Lifting these grounds is craziness to me, especially if you don't know what you're doing.  I'm a EE (though more like 5v digital kind of things) and have still taken my share of shockers being careless, including one very close call.  It's just not worth it.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2007, 05:52 pm by TomS »

95bcwh

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2007, 04:51 pm »
This is really a tough question!! :lol: Darn I've never thought about it :scratch:

Practically, it will have to be the Moscode, because it only weighs 50lb. The Salk HT3 is over 100lb each, I couldn't have carried it on my own. I probably should buy a troller so in case of flood coming, I can move the speakers.

....so what piece do you grab on the way if you only get one trip out? One Salk HT3 (mono until Jim builds another one) or the Moscode? 

TomS

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2007, 05:01 pm »
Yeah, I came home once to find a foot of water in the finished basement listening room of my newly built house.  The big Rowlands were on low platforms next to the Thiels.  Those babies weigh a lot more than 100 lbs, but at least they had big handles.  The real issue was that most of the power was still on.  The electrical box (master breaker) was in another of the basement rooms, also under water of course, with water literally being pumped by my sump pump INTO the basement right next to it (don't ask, it's a long story for another thread).  None of this was good.  We had to get the power shut off from the outside before doing anything which also made it totally dark.  Great fun.

Please treat AC power with GREAT respect guys.  It is NOT forgiving at all.