AV123 Forum not available?

SlushPuppy

Re: AV123 Forum not available?
« Reply #400 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:28 am »
I'm wondering just how long Mark plans to keep his forum shut down.  He runs the risk of alienating so many potential customers and old time friends, I just don't get it.  How long do you think it will take to go through the various stages: surprise, concern, confusion, frustration, anger, and finally indifference.  I myself am halfway between confusion and frustration, I really hope no one gets to indifference.  Once people stop caring, they won't visit/buy.  Not good...

Not very long  :wink:

floridapoolboy

« Reply #401 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:31 am »
I think the recent, non-voluntary, multi-day outage of both the forum and the main website demonstrated that a few days without a forum isn't going to cause the company to take a huge hit or drive everyone away. 

That was involuntary, beyond anyone's control.  This current shutdown has a purpose, one which wasn't made totally clear.  With the former shutdown no one would really reach the anger stage, as it was accidental.  i agree a few days isn't a big deal, that's why I was asking "how long".  A week, two weeks, down till after New Years?
Ending his message with "Happy Holidays" didn't give me a warm fuzzy that the forum would be back up anytime soon.

rmassey

« Reply #402 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:36 am »
Not trying to 'jump to conclusions' here, but perhaps this is a mandated 'cool down' period for the forum.  Things sure seem to have just gone off the rails over at AV123.

perhaps my theory of a mandated 'cool down' period  was not too far fetched.  :D

rmassey

« Reply #403 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:41 am »
Ending his message with "Happy Holidays" didn't give me a warm fuzzy ...

I'm not reading anything into that.... 
....to me Happy Holidays applies from TG to NY.  that's just Mark wishing all a good season, nothing more.

Washburn

« Reply #404 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:48 am »
I decided to wait till I "calibrate" the TV a bit and take some screen shots and a few "whole system" pics and post them here. expect some pics in a day or two.
I don't like the ones I took already. I took them in haste and feel like they don't do justice to how it actually looks ...

Rich: warning: It's not a Vizio ;)

floridapoolboy

« Reply #405 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:50 am »
Ending his message with "Happy Holidays" didn't give me a warm fuzzy ...

I'm not reading anything into that.... 
....to me Happy Holidays applies from TG to NY.  that's just Mark wishing all a good season, nothing more.

OK.... maybe you're right.  For a guy who used to post all over the place, not just on his own forum, he's been mighty silent since pulling the plug.  I hope at least he's having a good time during his break!

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #406 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:50 am »
I have to say one thing. Well, a few things. Aside from all the complaining, badly promised delivery dates, product malfunction, and the like, Mark has given me personally great products for the dollar. If he just wouldn't try to please everyone and promise the moon, all would be fine. If the products he recently rushed out to please orders were more tight lipped and available when they were ready, all would be fine. Life is short and I feel he tries to cover the whole spectrum of audio. You just can't do that. I like Mark, as a person, and a businessman. He, just like all of us businessmen, tries to please too much. I know his heart is in the right place but there at the end, I believe it started getting to him. Step back guys, this is an audio forum, not a guide to live by. Be kind to Mark, be kind to your fellow members, and enjoy the music. I took Mark to the airport in Huntsville and had a great conversation with him. It wasn't about amps or speakers, it was about life and how he looks at it. Business owners are going through tough times.
Not only has Mark provided me with nice products, but he has also been very encouraging to me at times when I didn't expect it. This is not a Koolaid drinkathon, it's the truth. I personally have been awakened by this whole thing and plan on selling all of my gear on Audiogon. Again, be at peace with Mark, yourself, and sit back and enjoy the music.

Robert

jmck407

« Reply #407 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:56 am »
I saw that ship going down months ago and I jumped off with the swiftness.  I regret ever purchasing items from the company.  There are some amazing small business out there and I wish would have chosen more wisely which one I would have given my dollars to.

Are you the same person who got the great deal on the used aura note/piano black minis from an av123 forum member?  If so, was there something specific about the minis that you did not like, were they simply too much bass for your townhouse, or did you sell them because you felt av123 would not be around to support them?  Not trying to stir up anything, just curious, since I bought a pr. of minis on the used market, and they have performed outstanding.  Also their finish/veneer/style (satin rosewood), give them the look of a much more expensive speaker.

Thanks,

John

Washburn

« Reply #408 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:58 am »
I personally have been awakened by this whole thing and plan on selling all of my gear on Audiogon.
Robert

Robert,
what kind of awakening did you go through that made you decide get rid of all your audio gear? and by "this whole thing" do you mean the closing of the av123 forum?
care to share a bit? I'm just curious.

Step back guys, this is an audio forum, not a guide to live by.
Robert

yet it seems that's exactly what you describe in your post. sorry if i misunderstood.

rmassey

« Reply #409 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:11 am »
Rich: warning: It's not a Vizio Wink

Duh  :duh:

Bonk

« Reply #410 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:17 am »
Don't worry Rich .
I've got 3 scattered about the house .    :)

themonk

« Reply #411 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:23 am »
Call me a speculator ... I've mentioned this elsewhere ... Perhaps the plan all along was out with the old in the new. Perhaps he wanted to get rid of us :cry: Every little bird needs to leave the nest at some point. I guess I just wish he would have waited until I felt I had the wings to do so.

Bonk

« Reply #412 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:33 am »
 How long do you think it will take to go through the various stages: surprise, concern, confusion, frustration, anger, and finally indifference.  

I guess I'm at the confused stage. Or more curious at this point. Time will tell.   :?
Meanwhile, let's all take the time to check our interconnects for oxidization.  :)

Bonk

droht

« Reply #413 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:44 am »
I will be very curious to see the traffic on the forum when it comes back up.  Controversy drives people to the site.  If they buy I do not know, but getting them there is step 1.  This past spring, iirc, there was a big flame war on avs started by someone with delivery issues on a sub I believe.  It was a drawn out bloodbath, like we often see.  As it progressed av123 saw record # of registered users and guests for several days in a row.  A few days after it ended #s dropped - close to half of what they had been in the midst of the controversy.  I don't think #s have been close since.  Now the forum closing seems to be a relatively hot topic on most every audio forum out there.  I have to believe that lots of folks who never tried to visit av123 have been on the regular site and are waiting anxiously to see what the hell all the fuss is about with regard to the forum. 

DogWizard

« Reply #414 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:46 am »
Bonk - I just saw the Ebony Mini's in your sig. Do you know where the other 2 pair are? I managed to convince Mark to build me a pair as a "Santa Shifter" gift a few years ago (and really had to beg but everything else was Ebony and he took pity on me). I had to pre-pay in full to him pesonally and it took about a year and a half but when they were finally ready he let me know that he had to build at least 5 pair on the line to make it happen. So I have #1, Mark indicated that he kept a pair for himself, you make 3, that leaves 2 out in the wild somewhere...

They look great next to my Ebony LS-6's  :thumb:

That's one of the things that makes it so hard to give up on Mark and AV123. I have been the recipient of his personal brand of kindness way back in the day and it's just upsetting to watch things unravel...

flip

« Reply #415 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:47 am »
I'll have the wings, once my order finally arrives. Color me between anger and indifference. The latter will come when I can stop going through the av123 forum, pathetically hoping for some tiny bit of info about possible delivery date. Tried all the proper channels. Either no response or "won't be any later than.....". Well, I have been through too many "later thans". It's sad when you just quit asking, because even when you get an answer, it doesn't mean anything. Yea, I know, I can always get a refund. That is not what I wanted. I wish this company well. I do. Some how I have some kind emotional involvement with them. Question my sanity at times. I'm here with another user name. Have been with the forum for several years. Have not complained on the internet or otherwise. Enough is enough though.

What I'm wondering, is, do I represent the majority. Those who have not complained before. If I happen to be part of the proverbial tip of the iceberg, that business is an utter and complete wreck.

Bonk

« Reply #416 on: 9 Dec 2008, 01:53 am »
Bonk - I just saw the Ebony Mini's in your sig. Do you know where the other 2 pair are? I managed to convince Mark to build me a pair as a "Santa Shifter" gift a few years ago (and really had to beg but everything else was Ebony and he took pity on me). I had to pre-pay in full to him pesonally and it took about a year and a half but when they were finally ready he let me know that he had to build at least 5 pair on the line to make it happen. So I have #1, Mark indicated that he kept a pair for himself, you make 3, that leaves 2 out in the wild somewhere...

They look great next to my Ebony LS-6's  :thumb:

That's one of the things that makes it so hard to give up on Mark and AV123. I have been the recipient of his personal brand of kindness way back in the day and it's just upsetting to watch things unravel...

Funny you mention that. As I could tell you if I had access to the forum and my stored PM's.  8)
If memory serves, I had pm'd you and 2 other fellows regarding hitting MLS up to do a limited ebony mini center run.
Once the site gets back up I'll let you know what I find.

Ebony LS6's !!! Me likey.  :icon_surprised:   I'll trade ya .   :D

DogWizard

« Reply #417 on: 9 Dec 2008, 02:00 am »
I originally had Piano Black ones on order but went back and forth because of the gloss finish (Theater) and the fact that it didn't match anything else. I finally cancelled the PB ones after all the delays - I just didn't want them enough to justify the wait and the cost. I was going to pick up one of Danny's kits and build my own - I had already purchased all of the Ebony veneer (still have it) and then they announced the limited run of Ebony and I had to jump back in...

The Mojo looks spectacular though...

FrozenPilot

« Reply #418 on: 9 Dec 2008, 02:03 am »
I really do hope Mark brings up the forum soon with his part 2 letter filled with lots of good info, and we get our answers. I sort of feel like an investor being left in the dark.

Here's to hoping for good news.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #419 on: 9 Dec 2008, 02:06 am »
I saw that ship going down months ago and I jumped off with the swiftness.  I regret ever purchasing items from the company.  There are some amazing small business out there and I wish would have chosen more wisely which one I would have given my dollars to.

Are you the same person who got the great deal on the used aura note/piano black minis from an av123 forum member?  If so, was there something specific about the minis that you did not like, were they simply too much bass for your townhouse, or did you sell them because you felt av123 would not be around to support them?  Not trying to stir up anything, just curious, since I bought a pr. of minis on the used market, and they have performed outstanding.  Also their finish/veneer/style (satin rosewood), give them the look of a much more expensive speaker.

Thanks,

John

Yes, I am and it was a fantastic deal.  First, I never wanted Minis, I wanted an Aura Note, but I can't pass up a great deal.  At the price, I felt like I was getting an Aura Note with a pair of Minis thrown in for free.  I tried to like the Minis because everyone on the forum raved about them.  Then I realized that the guys on the forum rave about EVERY speaker Mark puts out.

The Mini's  took far too much tinkering.  I want to sit back with a glass of wine and enjoy the music, not constantly move speakers around and  fiddle with crossovers and level.  In my opinion, those powered subs are overkill and the bass was boomy.  I practically had those things in the middle of the room and the bass was still fat.  I like my bass with punch. 

I  guess I am just a monitor kind of guy.  I like my music ACCURATE.  The Minis were NOT for me.

The Aura Note  on the other hand is fantastic and the company, April Music, has amazing customer service.  I had an electrician blow out my breaker-box and it fried my Aura Note.   I contacted the company and they sent me a brand new one.

MLS might be a great guy but I find him to be a real sh*tty businessman.  The guy does have TWO failed companies.  The promises, the delays, the products he talks about that never come to be, the blown up  ULW, UFW, MFW 15s, The X-Amps and X-heads that arrived faulty and  the taking of funds before products are even in the country, which he said he would NEVER do again.  I could go on.  I just chose to not patronize the company any longer.

I will say the X-LS Encore is a fantastic bookshelf speaker but of course he isn't making that one anymore.

In closing, this is all MY OPINION.  I am not trying to convince anyone to see things my way nor am I interested in anyone telling me how great a guy MLS.  I know a lot of great guys, but being a nice guy doesn't mean I need to or should buy products from you.  Nice does not a businessman make.