2 Channel Amp Advice - Simple system built around TV/DVD - T Amp? Panny? NAD?

Pancho Urbano

Hi, Folks.

Posted a similar discussion on AA - but thought I'd gather some of your advice.  I'm building a little second system around my TV.  I've been using the crappy TV speakers thus far because we have a baby daughter and I've been encouraged *not* to have wires about.  So, I've decided to create a nice little 2 channel system with my Samsung 30" CRT HDTV (one of those "Slimfit" units - unbelievable picture and contrast beamed to the house for free from terrestrial HD broadcasting - the original intent of the FCC lives!) and my Samsung upconverting DVD player/recorder.  Those units are connected via HDMI. 

Now, i don't have much space, but I'm looking for amplification to drive Onix XL-S speakers in rosewood (I also have Michaura M55s to swap in - remember those?!) in an inexpensive but very good sounding package.  Here are the options I've carved out thus far (decending from $ to $$$):

Emotiva BPA-1 2 channel amp = $160, beautiful and small, one source (TV will pass through DVD?), analouge inputs, sounds good?
Panasonic XR57 HT receiver = $270, well regarded for warm sound, sort of fugly and big-ish, lots more options (perhaps too many), tuner
NAD 320BEE integrated stereo amp = $400, NAD quality & sound, nice looking unit - I've always wanted one of these
Onix A-60 MKII integrated stereo amp = $500 Good looks, well reviewed, I like AV123 very much
Onix SP-3 Tube Amp = $700 refurbished, enter the tube world, very heavy, quite a showpiece

And then there's the tripath amps - Sonic Impact Super T-Amp ($130) and the smaller Trends Audio T-10 ($130) which have low wattage but people have been writing good things about these little units.   

Any opinions are appreciated here.  I've heard none of these in person.  The Emotiva looks great - how does it sound?  Is the Panny the ultimate solution?  Is it worth it to step up in price for nicer gear?  What about this T-amp madness. 

Post away!  Thanks!
pu

WEEZ

Well, the NAD integrated amp has 5 inputs and 2 monitor loops, so you could add lots of stuff...sounds good, and isn't too large. It would get my vote.

shep

The Trend madness: it's for real but woefully short of practicality. One source in and that's it.

Wayner

I just bought a Marantz SR-4021 stereo reciever with all kinds of inputs (audio and video) plus phono inputs for turntable. You can hook 2 sets of speakers up to it. It has 80 Watts RMS per channel and 30 FM presets. Remote control and excellent build quality all for $399.

W

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Pancho,

The little Tri-paths are just too small for your speakers.

The Emotiva uses a cooling fan, that loses my vote.

If you're seriously thinking about the SP-3, I'd buy the package deal with the Ref-1 speakers and sell your x-1s speakers.

pacifico

I have the NAD c372 and it's fine for cinema but for music well...it's ok. I think the NAD stuff dark. will eventually preamp or trade upwards for tubes. I'll likely keep the hunk as a back up for something though.

PaulFolbrecht

All I can add is to vouch for the SP-3.  It's a superb little piece, and amazing value.  They go on agon under $500 if you don't mind used.

Pancho Urbano

Thanks for your thoughts.

Upon further investigation, I agree that the T-amps would not provide enough power and do not provide enough versatility.  The thing about the Emotiva BPA-1 is the size - nice and small (but long) enough, and good looking enough to lie beside the TV atop our midcentury Danish teak credenza (wife factor must be taken into account).  I've also read it SOUNDS pretty damn good - any thoughts on that?  Word is the fan never comes on unless *really* pushed.  I suppose I'll run the DVD to the TV (via HDMI), and the TV to the one imput on the Emotiva unit (hope that would work?!).  Its also the least expensive - a real plus that would allow me to spend more money on a new music only setup in the other room.

The NAD provides good sound, simplicity, as well as openness to future applications.  It looks nice, I think, and is a notch above Marantz, Denon, etc.

The Panasonic has great reviews, lots of versatility - but I have this desire to get into some more interesting listening experiences.  I've run a Technics SA-DA15 reciever (the last of that branding) with Michaura M66s for about 5 years.  I put it together with little money and less audio knowledge than I think I have now.  It has a phono stage built in for my ProJect turntable. It sounds good, but I'd like my future purchases to build into nice mid-fi gear.  But the XR55/57 does have the buzz.

Onix SP3 - I appreciate your encouragement.  I'm not sure I can pull it off with my wife - given its 50+lb. weight and $$$.  Maybe in the future?  That package they have with the Ref 1s is *very* tempting.  Goodness.  Its driving me mad.  Maybe if I sold the Michauras off (M66s and M55s - how much they worth?), plus the xls in rosewood and the Technics gear I can move this forward. 

As always, any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks!

pu

robert1325

Good music taste  :D

Pancho Urbano

Thanks - I used to post here occasionally, and I think I'll keep up on it more, especially in the Music Circle.  Lots of good stuff out there for sure (new stuff from The Hold Steady, Yo La Tengo, Wolf Parade, Sufjan Stevens & Built to Spill are on the top of my CD pile).

By the way - I just realized I already have a Tripath amp in the Teac Legacy 800 combo I run in my office.  Found the Tripath press release confirming the chip in the AG-H800 (along with the 700 that people were modding).  I wonder why Teac didn't really advertise this, and I wonder why they stopped importing the reference line to the US.  Has a strong following in the UK, and I think they sound pretty damn good.  They sure do look good.

Anyway, thoughts on the amp dillemma are still welcome!
pu

robert1325

I went to see yo la tengo a couple of months ago  :D

I'm using a trends ta-10 and am very happy  :lol:

shep

I just did a wee bit of tweaking on it  :duh: Trends Rules!

Wayner

My new Marantz SR4021 is really kicking ass. It really is a great buy. Go check it out on Marantz's web site.

W

Pancho Urbano

Saw Yo La Tengo in San Francisco last October.  They are gods, for sure. 

I'm tired of HDMI lip sync problems!  I'm probably going to use composite video and toslink cables instead fromt he Samsung DVD recorder to the Samsung TV.  So, I think the Panny (toslink) and NAD (analogue) are in the house.  I might also try to pick up a Teac AG-H800, which I have a copy of in my office.  Just found out those are tripath amps.  That would be a toslink connection.  The Emotiva would work if I could run the DVD to the TV player, and then the TV into the Emotiva amp, which only has one input.  I don't think that will work for both sources - would it?

I'll have to look into the Marantz.  I am looking for a smaller form factor. 

I had high hopes for HDMI's simplicity - but the lip sync problem sucks!

pu