BrianM

Humor break
« on: 12 Jan 2007, 03:15 am »
Advertisement on Audiogon:

"Synergistic Research Absolute Reference x2 25ft pr spade (msrp $17500)"

(speaker cables)

Asking price: only $6900. (!)

(More than half off...)

"Absolute Reference Type 1 Speaker Wire (X2) is the ultimate in transparent three dimensional sound and resolution The Type 1 is specially tuned for systems that can present a maximum level of detail and sound-staging without becoming harsh or bright."

(check)

"Absolute Reference Type 1 has been especially suited to systems with treated acoustics, rooms with natural sound deadening materials (carpeted floors, covered glass, etc.), and for electronics and speakers with smooth balance, as well as with vacuum tube electronics. When properly matched to systems, Absolute Reference Type 1 is Synergistic Researches highest resolution speaker wire. Absolute Reference Active sheilding is set up for mid-range warmth, liquidity and three dimensionality of soundstage. This pair comes in the Standard Gun Metal Grey. There are a few frey's in the sheilding."

A FEW "FREY'S" IN THE SHIELDING? Well, now we know why it's such a steal. 50 feet, $6900, that's $138/foot, down from $350/foot.

But seriously, a speaker cable designed for synergizing with particular sound-deadening materials is awesome.  BUT ONLY WHEN PROPERLY MATCHED TO SYSTEMS.  YOU PUT THIS $17K WIRE IN THE WRONG SYSTEM IT SUCKS INSTANTLY.  IT'S NOT THE WIRE IT'S YOUR SYSTEM GOT THAT?

Ok I'm done sorry.

Wayner

Re: Humor break
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2007, 03:21 am »
The age of gimmicks is nothing new. However, the price fools are willing to pay seams to be in hyper-drive.

W

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2007, 03:40 am »
And just WTF is a "frey" anyway?!? Did he "frey" it by putting too much power on it? Did he spill some "freyed" chicken on it and melt the plastic? Oh, I get it, "Fray".
$17000 for a pair of speaker cables. Maybe he missed the decimal point and they are actually $175.00?
Jeez, I wonder what he replaced them with...  :lol: Must be REALLY good...  :roll:
And to think I thought this would be the biggest waste of money I heard about today.

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2007, 05:00 pm »
I guess it is time for me to write a long subjective review of the virtues of our Home Depot 16 cents per foot speaker wires.  Gee they sound sooo nice with our electronics and Jim Salk's speakers.  It must be a lucky match with the acoustic fabric wallpaper, worn out Berber carpet, and acoustic foam tiled ceiling. Or maybe it is just because they are not frayed.

Have I tried a premium magic speaker wire set here recently?  Yes I have.  I will not name the brand because my comments would not be favorable regarding value of the product and they were supplied free of charge.  Better than my Home Depot wire?  Not!

Frank Van Alstine

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2007, 07:19 pm »
I'm very much with FVA in this one .... i too replaced my expensive (by my standards) cables/speaker wires with cables from bluejeans, and i cannot make out any difference! I'll never ever buy expensive cables.

If an equipment has to rely on hyper expensive cables to sound great, then there is something wrong with the equipment. :evil:

tomjtx

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2007, 09:48 pm »
It is mind bogling what some people are paying for wire.
Frank's level headedness makes me want to try out his gear when I'm ready for a change

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2007, 10:11 pm »
I suggest his new T8 pre-amp. I'm listening to it right now with an old Dynaco FM-5 running into it. I also  am using the AVA OmegaStar 260ex amplifier on a pair of Paradigm 40v.3's. Fanstastic sound! I also have the phono section option in the T8 as I am a heavy vinyl head.  :drool:

Also, no expensive speaker wire or interconnects for me. It isn't neccessary.

W

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2007, 11:25 pm »
Have I tried a premium magic speaker wire set here recently?  Yes I have.  I will not name the brand because my comments would not be favorable regarding value of the product and they were supplied free of charge.  Better than my Home Depot wire?  Not!

Frank Van Alstine
Well, c'mon, everybody knows that Ace Hardware zipcord sounds much better than Home Depot's, with big improvements in 'pacing', 'air' and soundstage. :roll:
Would like to expound more but must visit mothership now...  :icon_lol: