SP1.7 firmware

bobgenie

SP1.7 firmware
« on: 10 Jan 2007, 05:38 am »
Hi,

As I've been using Bryston amps and PMC speakers thought I'd go the whole hog and get myself a Bryston processor too  :) I've got myself an SP1.7 which is pretty much a match for the Meridian 568.2MM I've been using. Fair enough the 568 has more stuff to play with but the DAC is definately better in the 1.7.  Anyway I digress.  It's still V4.0 which I'm thinking is it's original version.  I'm UK based, can anyone point me in the right direction for a firmware upgrade?  And no I'm not going the SP2 upgrade just yet  :D well not until I save a few more pennies anyway  :lol:

Cheers,

Bob

assafl

Re: SP1.7 firmware
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2007, 07:36 am »
SP1.7 firmware upgrade is not as simple as downloading software: it requires chips to be replaced inside the processor.

bobgenie

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2007, 09:46 am »
SP1.7 firmware upgrade is not as simple as downloading software: it requires chips to be replaced inside the processor.

I realise that, just hoping someone could point me in the right direction as there's no info on the website.  Does it need to be sent in or can i do the work myself?  How much does it cost? 

I can see a lot of people have had it done.  Was it a worthwhile update?

Cheers.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2007, 02:34 pm »
I'm sure James Tanner will weigh in when he catches up from CES.  As I recall, Bryston was originally sending the chips for free but then needed to recover costs and was charging something like $50.  I never bothered with the last upgrade, I'm running 43E on my SP1.7 Pro.  While it has a digital XLR input instead of the 2 toslink digital inputs, I still have 43D laying around (for the pro version).  There are 2 chips to replace.  When my friend worked at the local high end shop, I used to do virtually all of his deliveries and installs with him and he wasn't fond of HT vs. 2-channel and more of a sales person than set-up person so I did a few peoples SP1.7s.  To get the chips out on the 1st one I did mine (I used a corn holder and got a kick out of going into the back room of the store after that to see the owner having a corn holder in his tool box to do upgrades).  After that I bought a couple of chip extracters (much easier having the right tool for the job - one for the rectangular one and one for the square one (I can send you pictures of what the chips look like if needed).  With the new digital boards of the SP-2, I'm just waiting on the HDMI issue to be finalized which James estimated in 10-12 mos.  When that happens I'll pay and send my unit in to get ugraded to the equivalent of the SP-2.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2007, 02:38 pm »

I realise that, just hoping someone could point me in the right direction as there's no info on the website.  Does it need to be sent in or can i do the work myself?  How much does it cost? 

I can see a lot of people have had it done.  Was it a worthwhile update?

Cheers.

PS - the firmware upgrades took care of a few issues

Here - http://www.bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/BrystonDocs.html

if you look at 'memos and misc' you can find info on version 44a for the SP 1.7

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:20 pm »
That firmware was dated Nov 2003. 

Does that mean no more support for 1.7?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:46 pm »
That firmware was dated Nov 2003. 

Does that mean no more support for 1.7?

The processing power of the 1.7 digital boards is likely ltd.  They might be able to add a feature or two but it can't be all that cost effective.  They more than likely could not with the processing power available in the 1.7 support the new formats available with Blu-Ray or HD DVD.  The digital boards in the SP-2 have much more processing power and Bryston does not have to deal with the pain (and expense) of new chips for adding new features - just download the software.

bobgenie

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2007, 04:59 pm »
many thanks for that info.  There are a few minor issues with it but it looks like I may wait and upgrade to the SP2 which I assume will take care of everything  :D Only problem is PMC quote about £1500 and takes 6 weeks so may well be more cost effective to just go and buy the SP2 and sell this one  :o

Cheers.