New OB designs

clyde

New OB designs
« on: 6 Jan 2007, 08:47 pm »
Danny,

I'm surprised that there has not been any discussion here of your new X series OB designs that were announced over at the AV123 forum.  I converted to dipoles about 7 years ago and could never go back to box speakers  :)

I'm particularly interested in the X-otica, which appears to be a full range dipole unlike anything you have done before.  This will be a revolutionary product at the projected price point.  Is there any chance that you will offer a kit version?

Clyde

gprro

Re: New OB designs
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2007, 01:59 am »
I talked about them a little a couple weeks ago in the LS vs. OB thread. I was surprised to see all the new x-models , specially when I was thinking about a modded version of the ob7 using 6.5 inch xbl woofs in place of the smaller m130's (looks like there will be an x model with a similar driver arangment). Another member is also awaiting this design.

I was going to use the four xbl's in a larger ported enclosure, but I bet they would work in full open baffle arrangement. You may have to block out the lowest bass with some form of crossover, digital would be ideal, if you're driving them realy hard with super low frequency stuff. They do have pretty good xmax though?

The new line of x series does look realy good.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2007, 02:30 am »
Yup.....I'm waiting on it myself. Don't worry, it's on Danny's to do list. He just wants to actually build the enclosure and test it himself and do a frequency response, and verify what the crossover changes might need to be in the woofer section, rather than just guesstimate.

Don't worry guys, I'm on the case!  :thumb:

Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2007, 09:56 pm »
X-otica is going to be a series speaker at a ridiculously good price too. It will not be available as a kit.

Tmantn

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2007, 09:25 pm »
These new OB designs sound awesome.  Does anyone have any pics of the x-otica? :drool:

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2007, 09:30 pm »

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2007, 12:49 am »
Does anyone have any pics of the x-otica?

There are no pics yet.

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:01 am »
Darn, I thought you might let that one slip....

These sound really cool, but an OB flavor LS9 would be even better  8)

Tom

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:08 am »
These sound really cool, but an OB flavor LS9 would be even better 

That's in the works too.

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2007, 01:20 am »
right - patience grasshopper....

clyde

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2007, 05:16 am »
My experience with both DIY and no holds barred commercial designs is that ribbon line arrays rule above 1 khz and cone dipoles rule below 1 kHz.  My current Audio Artistry speakers are dipole from 40 to 2 khz combined with a sealed subwoofer below 40Hz. 

It wil be great to see Danny's new OB designs launch at affordable prices.

phoenix_rising

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2007, 09:50 pm »
These sound really cool, but an OB flavor LS9 would be even better 

That's in the works too.

How low will the open baffle section of the array go and will it be a hybrid like the x series with a subwoofer ?

I would also like to know whether they will have similar dynamic capacity as the current Alpha designs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2007, 12:29 am »
I'll let you know how low it goes when I am through testing it. The open baffle will be mounted to a sub-woofer tower with six 12" woofers, all in sealed boxes. You have to support that big open baffle with something.  :green:

phoenix_rising

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2007, 10:30 am »
I'll let you know how low it goes when I am through testing it. The open baffle will be mounted to a sub-woofer tower with six 12" woofers, all in sealed boxes. You have to support that big open baffle with something.  :green:

That is exciting news. No doubt it will use the same arrangement as the Alpha and use BG's down to 1khz crossing to open baffles, then to subwoofers, way cool.

I take it you will have two models one with the subs and one without so that people can use their own existing subs with it if they wish it would also make it more affordable (or for those lucky souls that have the room for an IB subwoofer)  :D.

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:42 am »
I take it you will have two models one with the subs and one without

Nope. One model. That sub tower will have to be there to support that big heavy front baffle hanging out there.  :)

phoenix_rising

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jan 2007, 11:23 am »
I take it you will have two models one with the subs and one without

Nope. One model. That sub tower will have to be there to support that big heavy front baffle hanging out there.  :)

Looks like I need to reinforce the floor.  :D

klh

« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2007, 11:20 pm »
Danny... can you update us on the progress of the new X series speakers? Particularly the X-Optima, X-CS Plus, X-MTM Plus and the X-Omni. I'm debating between these and your kits (OB-7 hybrid, OB-5 vertical and horizontal and O-3). I'm sure your kits sound better, but my craftsmanship and time are both limited. Well, my time is limited and my craftsmanship sucks :roll:.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2007, 11:46 pm »
Let me answer this question in a few weeks or more. I am currently working on several of these right now.

These are not going to quite be to the level of my kits that you mentioned as none of them are going to be full of Sonicaps, foil inductors or use a Neo 3 pdr tweeter, but they will set new standards for bang for the buck.

Everything that I have learned from the OB series kits will be implemented into these new designs from AV123.

I know the X-LS already won a bunch of budget loudspeaker of the year awards and a product of the year award, but you haven't seen anything yet. These new models are really going to make it tough for any other commercial designs.

klh

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm »
Great! I'm more inclined to go with your kits, but reality is setting in... they are a lot of work! One could always farm out the labor.. but then the cost goes way up. Hmm. What to do? What to do?

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2007, 11:58 pm »
Take your time and have fun with it. It's not hard but the OB-5 and OB-7 (especially the OB-7) is more involving and will take more time. O-3's are really easy.