Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris / something for me?

shep

Re: Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris / something for me?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2007, 09:39 pm »
This is the eternal dillema; the more revealing the equipment is, the more some strange and aberrant things are revealed about recordings. The Trend doesn't make bad recordings sound worse, it just hi-lights where they are bad. I dicovered a cd where the bass was in my face, the singer in another room, the drummer somewhere in the garage and the whole thing mixed sort of out of phase. This was from a big name studio. But whey they get it right (like in the old days when it mattered) it sure strokes the fur in the right direction! You have startled me! a Shep2/3?? my oh my has M.M. been moonlighting?
Please share this with me :o I was wondering how this amp could be done differently. M. says only that it can be flavored differently with dif. caps.

robert1325

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2007, 10:10 pm »
The latests stock trends come with higher value power caps ( 1500Uf)  instead of the normal 220uF....   So that saves us doing the power cap mod ( maybe a black gate?  :scratch:)

shep

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2007, 08:36 am »
I see no mention of this on there site. strange. They are a bit naughty. Originally they sent a sample to M. Mardis (which became mine) asking for his opinion and how to improve on it. So in fact he shot himself in the foot! He should have said nothing and the price wouldn't have gone up! 30$ for a cap?! doubt if it is a Black Gate cause it would have sounded bad out of the box; (well maybe not if it is the power supply one). At least this explains why the stock version sounds better than before. I want to play with different
Intersconnects... I put some of that magic paper inside and dampened the case with bitumin self-stick.
Makes a dif. (in my head!). Gordy was kind enough to send me a sheet. Maybe there's someone else with a bit left over? If you don't put those copper shields around the inductors, than shield them with that.
Supposed to clean up the sound seriously (there's a lot of high freg. being sprayed around in there)
Trend rules!

scorpion

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2007, 11:12 am »
Shep,

This is my very own labelling. Trends has substituted input caps for better Bennics 2.2 mikroF and power caps are Sanyo 1500 mikroF in ver 1.1. Those components I think were the first targeted and most important to mod.

Cheers !  :D

/Erling

robert1325

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2007, 01:38 pm »
The trend is still a 100 bucks,   it's 130 Including shipping...           

shep

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:00 pm »
Ahh, then the revised edition is even more of a steal! We live in interesting times...might be fun to start an all Trend thread, like the one that'e endlessly growing regarding the Prometheus gear. Share thoughts and experience. Any takers? I for one would love to know what speakers, cables etc. you are using and how it evolves.

robert1325

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2007, 04:29 pm »
I'm verry happy with my OB's   :thumb:

robert1325

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2007, 08:22 pm »

robert1325

« Reply #28 on: 3 Feb 2007, 07:27 pm »
These are amazing speakers!     WOW they rock with my little t-amp and the bolder modded squeezebox... Didn't know I could get this sound with a budget like this ! 

Big soundstage,  dynamics, detail, fullness .........   :drool:

robert1325

« Reply #29 on: 4 Feb 2007, 09:52 pm »

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2007, 03:34 pm »
Robert,

Glad you like the SI's! A lot of thought went into these, as well as a lot consideration to keep the price as low as possible so everybody has a chance to have great OB sound without breaking the bank.

Dave :)

robert1325

« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2007, 03:40 pm »
I'm still baffled by their price,     All my music sounds at least good on them , 70 % sounds excellent !

They look so retro, like I got them from a junk pile... But once you hear that sound  :lol:

I wouldn't have thought it but kanye west sounds very good on these speakers/  that Late registration album is really well produced ( wasn't it Jon Brion?)