Chasing Caig DeoxIT in Oz

DSK

Chasing Caig DeoxIT in Oz
« on: 1 Jan 2007, 01:38 pm »
The Caig website lists http://www.caprina.com.au/ as the Aussie distributor but, aside from a link back to the Caig website, there is zero info on any Caig products on their website. I e-mailed them but got an auto response saying that they are closed until Jan 8 and the recipient is back on Jan 12.

Anyone have any sources in Oz (I'm in Melbourne)? Shipping direct from Caig in the US was going to be US$32 on a US$33 bottle!!

arthurs

Re: Chasing Caig DeoxIT in Oz
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2007, 02:30 pm »
I'm pretty sure it can be shipped by one of us in the US for a lot less than $32 if you can't locate it locally....let me know if you need some help, we can figure something out...

DSK

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure it can be shipped by one of us in the US for a lot less than $32 if you can't locate it locally....let me know if you need some help, we can figure something out...
Many thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

jules

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2007, 10:38 pm »
Hi Darren,

what is this Caig stuff and why should we all be rushing off to buy a tube/bottle/vial/amphora?

jules

DSK

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2007, 10:59 pm »
Hi Jules, it is a contact cleaner to clean all the connectors in your system (spades, bananas, RCA's, AC plugs etc). It helps remove any oxidisation etc for cleaner contact.

jules

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2007, 11:13 pm »
aah ... as the name implies then  :)

I've got a couple of spray cans of electronic cleaners that I point at doubtful switches every now and then but I've no idea how they compare to others that are available.

* Surefilm SS-113 is made by Maxwell Chemicals in Botany NSW

* Electrolube is made in England.

Both of these are quite old but they might be brands to look for on local shelves unless Caig is known to be very special.

jules

HumanMedia

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2007, 11:56 pm »
Jaycar Electronics (stores everywhere) stock it.

DSK

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2007, 12:19 am »
Jaycar Electronics (stores everywhere) stock it.

Just went to www.jaycar.com.au and searched on 'Caig' .... nothing.  :(

UPDATE: Searched on 'DeoxIT' at Jaycar and found it! Thanks HumanMedia.  :D
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2007, 12:30 am by DSK »

HumanMedia

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jan 2007, 12:42 am »
UPDATE: Searched on 'DeoxIT' at Jaycar and found it! Thanks HumanMedia.  :D

For those wanting to burn-in power cables on other equipment like a fan or a fridge, here is another hard to find item from Jaycar:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS4100&CATID=35&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=454
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2007, 02:11 am by HumanMedia »

navi

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jan 2007, 08:38 am »
i hate using chemicals.

At Jaycar they have the Starbrite Corrosion buster pen- it has hundreds of glass fibre bristles.
Scrubs without chemicals.
Cost:$15

I've used it on tube pins, wires and connectors with really good results.