Velocity wave vs Compression wave?

johnk...

• Music and Design
Re: Velocity wave vs Compression wave?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2007, 11:57 am »
John,

So would you say - just from a sonic standpoint - that the differences between a pure symmetrical double-driver dipole and (same driver, but single in) an H-frame are negligible, assuming crossover well below the peak -- Efficiency, response, polar, etc about the same?

[snip]

Tubamark

There are a lot of differences to consider but nominally, if both system are well build, the only reay difference should be the additional cost and the lower efficiency in terms of power of the dual symmetric system. Voltage sensitivity will be the same for the same fornt to back separation. Issues with dual symmetric include consideration of size since each driver would need to be contained in a suitable sealed enclosure. If you have extra drivers I would opt for a dual d river H frame and go for the extra 6dB max SPL capability.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2007, 06:03 pm »
Oh, I see what you were referring to. You meant the dipole peak. It occurs at the same frequency in both cases. In the dual driver case there is only a dipole peak. For the CRAW that would be at about 300 Hz. For the H frame configuration with same front to back length there is a dipole peak at the same frequency but there is the possibility of the peak being augmented by the 1/4 wave resonance of the H, which is also at the same frequency. The peak is at WL = 2D and the 1/4 wave resonance is at WL = 4D/2 = 2D, WL = wave length.

The effect of the resonance (H) is typically to make the roll off locally a little shallower than it is with the dual driver dipole. For instance reducing the slope from 4 th order to 3 1/2 order. It is easily compensated for with a notch filter is necessary. Above the peak you generally start to see steeper roll off due to the effects of VC inductance.

I haven't heard any significant subjective differences between the CRAW and a similar H used with the same crossover filters.

Well, yes and no. What I was getting at, is that it could never be an exact comparison, because as you noted, the H would have a measured resonance different than the enclosed dual driver dipole (like the CRAW), among other differences (not to mention they could not occupy the same position in room at once). But what I was really asking is, how much of what we hear subjectively when listening to an open baffle subwoofer, like an H, is power radiation and/or how much is the fact that the driver is unenclosed (assuming that the driver is quite mechanically, etc.)? Note that I am not referring to upper bass/midrange frequencies.

cheers,

AJ

johnk...

• Music and Design
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2007, 11:29 am »
I  doubt there would be any significant difference at low frequency, assuming the same on axis response.  There certainly wasn't any noticable difference between the CRAW in cardioid mode and a well designed U-frame woofer with the same response (i.e. the NaO U-frame). That was one of the driving issues behind the original CRAW. I wanted to be sure the U-frame perfromed subjectively as well as a true cardioid.