yet another B200 OB (with pics)

JohninCR

Re: yet another B200 OB (with pics)
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2007, 02:03 pm »
CR,

First let me say that any of the small form stuff that I do sounds terrible without bass augmentation.  While you can obtain a decent "D" going rearward like with the rings pictured above, you give up benefits of the floor and the larger space for the front wave launch.  Recently I tried prototyping some similar shapes using styrofoam, but it was a waste of time because styrofoam transmits sound far too well. 

I revisited the wooden rings to compare to some newer shapes I'm working on, and they're one of those "sound better than they should" kind of things, but the deficiencies are too pronounced to copy.  I remain very sold on the benefits of addressing edge diffraction, and if I was building box speakers a circular front would be easy with the proper edge geometry.  The problem with the rings is having a constant "D" all around the baffle that maximizes the peaks and nulls as the front and rear waves interact above the dipole bass cancellation point.  That was the point I was missing in the original diffraction ring thread.

phil25

« Reply #21 on: 29 Mar 2007, 12:31 pm »
Hi Nice open baffle. What kind of blue wires are you useing? Phil :thumb:

« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2007, 01:45 pm by JohnR-Admin »

scorpion

« Reply #22 on: 29 Mar 2007, 01:13 pm »
I suppose these are The Red Waters Chill !  :roll:

/Erling

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #23 on: 29 Mar 2007, 06:32 pm »
The problem with the rings is having a constant "D" all around the baffle that maximizes the peaks and nulls as the front and rear waves interact above the dipole bass cancellation point

John, Have you ever tried a compound dipole mounting in some sort of egg-shaped enclosure?  I've wanted to try one for years.  It always seemed ideal to me.  I guess you would have to have the drivers matched pretty close to identical. 

Just some food for thought,

Dan

JohninCR

« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2007, 09:06 pm »
Dan,

Here's the only eggs I have.  I'm just finishing up 3 pairs, 1 for FE108's in the picture, 1 for FE167's, and 1 for B200's.  No equal distances on these baffles, so they have a very smooth response.  I'll probably redo the woofer baffle to a better match once I decide which drivers to go with.  Once I settle on drivers and baffles, then I'll oil the wood and use silicon instead of clamps on the magnet mount with the wires hidden.  I've been really busy with work, so things are progressing slowly.  Even sitting on rubber feet on top of the 1/4" steel plate base the woofer transmits too much energy into the concrete filled pipe, and I'll have to resort to some type isolation such as foam rubber or drill holes in the plate and spike the woofer to the floor.

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2007, 01:21 am by JohninCR »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2007, 09:15 pm »
Nice John. Very cool.
I was thinking about you today wodering what's up your sleeve. Now I know!

That lower driver looks like it's being held by a "Mr. C" b200 style magnet grabber.
Is it? Or was that your influence? Very nice. I'd like more info/close up pics of that one if you would please.

Thanks John
Bob

JohninCR

« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2007, 09:47 pm »
So as not to hijack the thread let me get it back to B200's.  Here's the egg shape applied to the nautilus baffle idea for a B200, along with my dipole waveguides with a B200 in them (although the driver mounting plate is changeable, so I can use them with any driver 8" or smaller).

JohninCR

« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2007, 09:55 pm »
Nice John. Very cool.
I was thinking about you today wodering what's up your sleeve. Now I know!

That lower driver looks like it's being held by a "Mr. C" b200 style magnet grabber.
Is it? Or was that your influence? Very nice. I'd like more info/close up pics of that one if you would please.

Thanks John
Bob

Thanks Bob,
Better pics of lots of stuff to come as I get everything in a form for closeups along with construction pics.  That woofer is the Knight 15, and since I picked up 6 for $20/ea, I glued one of the pairs into magnet mounts using latex caulking. If I really wanted to get them out I could, but they were so cheap I doubt I'll ever bother, unless I want to use the base with another driver.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2007, 02:16 am »
Alright John, gotcha. Latex caulking shouldn't be too hard to get apart if need be. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Thanks John
Bob

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2007, 02:20 am »
Hi Nice open baffle. What kind of blue wires are you useing? Phil :thumb:

Phil,

Those are speaker cables made using cat 5 cable.

I have a lot of that stuff around.

Cheers,

Rafal