Why no tube power amp kits?

Larry

Why no tube power amp kits?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2003, 02:51 pm »
Having listened to my gears switched back and forth for some time. I can now tell what my preferences are, based on the time I ended up listening to each of them.

- Ella pull-push valve amp  
   Used most for audiophile recordings;

(Chinese KT88/6DJ8; Russian 6SN7GT; upgraded with AudioNote caps in the signal path; Available both in HongKong and US as complete kit for about US$600 including upgrades)

- Nirvana AKSA100 SS amp
  Used most for pop music, particularly those mixed and with electric instruments; played at high volumes.

(for about AU$1200, including kits and self supplied parts)

- SiliconChips 15W class A SS amp
  Used most for  slow and soft music like blues and solo strings; played at late night at low volumes.

(Upgraded all caps with Panasonic and Elna Starget etc; for about AU$600 including kits and self supplied parts and upgrades)

All of them are driven by an upgraded GK-1 and helped by an REL active subwoofer. An Ultra-Curve Pro DSP 8024 is also used in the digital front for room correction and system balance, which makes significant differences in final sound quality.

Rocket

hi
« Reply #21 on: 23 Aug 2003, 02:09 am »
hi audiojerry,

i think you would be pleasantly surprised how good an aksa can sound.

when you buy the kit make sure you also include the nirvana upgrade as it improves the sound by about 20%.  it adds some real class to the sound of the amp.  i had a listen to a pass labs aleph 3 the other day and thought the amps were quite similiar but the aksa had better authority and slam which i like.

it also works well with my pt gear.

regards

rocket